• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

picked tbird EFI....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not necessarily. In fact, some of the later 5.0's went back to 5/16" down from the more traditional 3/8" line.
You're probably thinking of the stuff they promote a lot in terms of big power setups. Those do use larger lines. Here again though, not necessarily larger than a comparable carb'ed engine.

Paul

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I pulled the fuel lines (fuel rail quick connect hose to metals tube) from a 1999 mark vii with a 4.6 v8 Saturday and both feed and return are 5/16".

Just remember that EFI has a high pressure pump/system (about 40 PSI) and a carb has a low pressure system/pump (about 7 PSI). with the higher pressure more fuel will result of a smaller tube:cool:

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well im running 5/16'' line with a pump that put out a max of 80psi tho it sit's around 40-50 psi im wondering if my pump is bad, it makes alot of noise.

i was thinking of getting the one from WH that flow's at a max of 40psi.

i really want this thing running right already! :cry:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's not the pump that determines the pressure. It's the regulator and return plumbing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you running an 80 psi pump for any particular reason?
As said, the regulator sets the pressure, so you're good with the 40-50 (I guess). I think it's supposed to be a rock solid 40 though, so not sure if that 50 will cause any issues or not.

And though pumps are meant to pump up against resistance to a point, maybe someone else will know whether running an 80psi pump against a 40 psi regulator is any problem or not. May not be an issue, but I thought I'd ask the question.

Paul

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Are you running an 80 psi pump for any particular reason?
As said, the regulator sets the pressure, so you're good with the 40-50 (I guess). I think it's supposed to be a rock solid 40 though, so not sure if that 50 will cause any issues or not.

And though pumps are meant to pump up against resistance to a point, maybe someone else will know whether running an 80psi pump against a 40 psi regulator is any problem or not. May not be an issue, but I thought I'd ask the question.

Paul

well when i first was looking into EFI i remember reading that the more pressure you have the better, so when the injectors open you have a good solid feed of fuel and what ever is left go's to the regulator. that's about the only reason i went with it.

i know once i get the bugs worked out ill love it but holy cow trying to get the bugs work out is turning my hair gray! :eek:

also, everyonce in a wile the computer will (run a check?) the idel will just up a little and the intake starts sucking in more air (more then it would when i rev it up) when it dose this it runs grate! but only for a few seconds and the check light turns on and flash's.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
So I'm thinking I do have my vac lines hooked up wrong. Cus everyones I listen too, when they hit the gas there intake makes that deep sound as it sucks air in. Mine dose not seem to make very much noise.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well my brother is taking his sweet ass time finishing my bumber and bringing it back, so it's not home yet so i have not been tinkiering with the bug's yet.

but im also thinking of taking it into a shop shop to have it looked over sense i cant figure out what's wrong and there seem to be no promising lead's.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Well I give up.

I went to a offroad park last weekend and it ran perfect and had a gray time.
Even tho it burned 3/4 of a tank just playing around a for about a hour.

At the end of the day it started running funny but didn't think anything of it.
Well go to pull it off the trailer the next day and it runs like shit!

Check for vac leaks grounds ect. And found nothing.
So I figure it's the o2 sensors cus of the bad it sucks fuel and I wired one up wrong. So I replaced em and it was running good

So I go to put it on the trailer and it's running like shit again.

I dont get it. I give up. Going with the mustang efi

So if anyone wants my tbird set up make me a offer

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Sooo, I fired up the motor and unplugged the #5 injector and it didnt make any difference so I plugged it back in and unhooked #6 and ran worse.
So I unhooked #3 and then #4 #3 made it run a little worse but idle was still the same.

Think my injectors are bad? Cus that would make my mpg be really bad and run lean.?

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Sooo, I fired up the motor and unplugged the #5 injector and it didnt make any difference so I plugged it back in and unhooked #6 and ran worse.
So I unhooked #3 and then #4 #3 made it run a little worse but idle was still the same.

Think my injectors are bad? Cus that would make my mpg be really bad and run lean.?

Check to see if they click when you run a battery to them - only do it for a second since they are not 100% duty rated. If not, they are easy to clean - just take the o-rings off and soak them in Chemtol (red, white and blue can) overnight. Once you are done, you can cycle them again to see if they click. Any offenders should be replaced, or maybe replace the whole lot since they would probably all be of similar condition.

You can also buy a rebuild kit from fordfuelinjection.com

Eric

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well, i took them out and tested em.
they all click but i wanted to see if they where cloged or not so blew 80psi through the top and 4 blew out fuel but then cloged up the other 4 blew fuel out but not alot of air came out after..maybe like 1psi

and when i took #4 off the rail a little plastic thingy with a small hole in it fell out. the tips where also greasy and the screen filters are a little dirty.

guess i better check my fuel filter.

now..when i ran the motor before i took it apart i didnt feel the injectors doing anything but when i tested em i heard and felt them click.

also..should i upgrade my injectors with the gray top's like off a 460?