• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

picked tbird EFI....

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Mitch brought his rig over the other day and we've been working on it. Here's what we found since the FP.
The NSS has to hooked to ground on his tbird setup. According to the wiring diagram it was supposed to go to a switched 12v. So we got that going and finally got the codes. It showed a problem with the o2 circuit. We got that fixed and all the codes went away except for the egr/thermactor ones which that stuff has been removed.

It actually runs pretty well now except.. Idle is rougher than it probably should be and even worse, he dove it around the block and coming back you could here a little backfire as if spark might have been intermittent and it would barely pull itself for a bit.

It was getting late at that point, and cold. So we'll pick it up in the day
light this weekend and see if we can get it to quit long enough to troubleshoot it. It's a lot closer.

-Steve

Glad to hear you are making progress. I've been following this thread but not much help from 800 miles away.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't remember, is your engine a roller cam model Mitch? Or a flat-tappet type with the EFI upper stuff?

Paul

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Glad to hear you are making progress. I've been following this thread but not much help from 800 miles away.

you been alot of help!

Can't remember, is your engine a roller cam model Mitch? Or a flat-tappet type with the EFI upper stuff?

Paul
it's a flat-tappet with efi on top.

sstclair has been a huge help. if it was not for him it would have a carb back on it by now. lol or be visiting hank hill for gas.

wishing i had the mustang setup...just cus it's been done and there is a tun of info on it. oh well,im sure once it's fixed ill love it..

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
made some good headway today.

found out that when it start's bogging down the fuel pressure drops to 0psi but when you let off the gas it will go back up to 35psi. but it's not like that all the time.
and it seems to run rich or lean when it dose it, but it's not cus of the 02 sensors there working and im not throwing any bad code's .

we drove it around for like 45mins and i even got to wheel it a little on the baja course on the side of steve's house ( witch was ALOT of fun!! ) and ran perfect with no problem's.
but it started doing it again when we where about to pull it back in the drive way.
:mad:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Either the fuel pump can't keep up or the fuel pressure regulator is hosed. It's attached to manifold vac, right?

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
ya im sure it work's we had it unhooked and the psi was up about 45 psi and the sec i hooked the hose up, it dropped to 35psi

i had my summit pump on it and it did it, then put steve's spare pump on, and still dose it.

he's thinking it's the computer or something telling it to run the injectors lean. or something like that.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The ECU can't control fuel pressure. That's all pump and regulator.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
ok...i think she's fixed.
not sure what we did.
but my fuel pickup started leaking pretty bad,well steve had a new one so we put that on.

the screen on the pickup tube was half way off and i think was getting sucked in the pickup tube causing the pressure to drop that caused the back firing and what not.

so i put my trick flow pump back on and it's running on 45psi and when ya give it gas it jumps up to 50psi how it should. it's ideling better and has tun's more power.

drove it around for a bit did a little wheeling and never missed a beat.:cool:

so it's time for it to come home and piss off my neighbor...and with any luck ill be able to take it to the snake's on sat.
we will see tho, i want to make more solid wiring connections (soldering,not crimping) and need to fab up a traction bar really bad now also,and need to fix my death wobble cus ill need to drive it there.

THANKS STEVE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You probably already know how, but here is the best soldering how-to I have found:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=7

You don't want to rely on the solder to provide the connection between 2 wires because it will melt if there is too much resistance, leading to other issues.

Eric

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I do it a little different, i will make two hook's at both end's and lock them in and then solder them. not sure if it's a good way or not but seem's to work good for me. ;D

ya that's true, but if your wire is getting that hot to melt solder the rubber liner will have melted long before that. so that will be the least of your problems lol

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Either which way you do it, maximum contact area between wire 1 and wire 2 is ideal. The way he shows also helps to limit the size of the joint, which makes it look clean once you put the shrink tube over it. But it sounds like you have a method that works.

The resistivity/melting probably matters more when you have high amps, like a starter cable, but just thought I would mention it...

Eric

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The resistivity/melting probably matters more when you have high amps, like a starter cable, but just thought I would mention it...

Eric

Very good point.

In the small signal (low voltage/current) wires of the EFI system there is no way to melt a solder joint even with a high resistance connection. However high resistance will cause signal distortion and attenuation which will cause other problems. Use an ohmmeter and make sure you have a good connection (less than .5 ohm) and it'll be fine.