• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

picked tbird EFI....

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
just when i get making good head way it smacks me in the face....

got the track bar installed think i got all the bug's worked out. she's running grate and workin good.. drove it to little caesars that's right behind my house, and it start's acting like it's running on a few cylnders and running a little rich or lean. was still running and not doing what it use to (back firing and spuddering) so pulled into the parking lot gave it a look over and disconnected the battery and seemed to go away.

ransil

Bronco Guru
check fuel pressure while its stumbling, I tape min to the hood or windshield thur the hood vent.
Power braking it under load you would see FP drop at around25 psi it would start missing at 20 psi it would stall.
I had a similar issue a few years ago, has junk ( look like dead tree leaves) in my Lp fuel filter, changed filter was good for awhile and did it again, inspected the fuel filter again and it was junked up again, still had junk in the fuel line feeding it, Tank had a good screen, but this was a replacement tank so the junk must have come from the first tank.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
screw EFI
what a #&^% pain!!!

i just can not win....i think....oh sweet my problems are all worked out and i can go wheeling again and drive it around......no. guess that's just me being stupid.

i don't know what to do....i really have no clue. im so sick of working on the %*&$*(*^(*^$^%#*^&$ thing.

driving around the block and it's back firing through the intake and missing.
i pull in the drive way and floor it, it rev's up way high but that miss is still there.

and what really piss's me off is that my brother just put a efi 460 in his scout and guess what. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I really really wanted to go to the bronco safari for the first time....

all i want it to do is fricken work.....im so ready to :cry:

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
and me and my brother where going to start building my cage in a few week's for the bronco safari.

but i don't know if i should bother with it....

i don't have a clue what to do.

do i send my wiring off to get gone through?

do i still build my cage even tho i cant even drive it to work,let alone go on a trail?

do i start over and go with a mustang EFI?

do i sell everything i can and go propane?

do i just sell the pile and start all over?

should i sell it all and put the carb back on (not what i want to do)

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14477445&cat=523&lpid=1&search=mustang motor

should i just get this???

i already have the fuel set up.
i think all i would need is frame mounts,that harness kit i saw on the powerblock, exhaust, and some random stuff..

sell the tbird efi for like 200-300 bucks, the 351 for 800 sell the ar15 for 700

that will leave me with about 1700 bucks. have a few hundred save for the harness and random stuff.... yes? no?

im worried with it being sitting for so long....

sstclair

It sucks that you are still having problems. It still is going to come down to the basics
Sell your gun, your dog, and your junk? no way! dump your girl friend first. (don't tell her I said that)

like was mentioned above it can only be related to a couple things..
Fuel/Fuel pressure.
Spark and timing.
Maybe later in the week we can throw the fuel pressure gauge on it again to see what we can find.

Propane? Easy, simple and forgiving. That's a great option but you are so close...

As to that 305hp mod motor.. That'd be sweet in an EB but your issues might move from EFI to converting everything else over.

JackHoleRacer

Loc.
Phoenix
I feel for ya brotha, had similar problems. Check and make sure your 02 sensor leads are connected to the correct sensor. I chased that one for a while. Good Luck, Some times all you can do is just walk away, when I get that frustrated I loose all prob solving capabilities.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mitch. I hesitated to get deeper into my train of thought because I kept hoping you'd find a simple solution among all the other advice.
But I'll go back to the cam anyway. With all of your hassles getting it started and running, did you break in the cam before you did anything else? In other words, no excessive cranking, no idling, no low rpm or heavy loading, just 2500 rpm for 30 minutes to bed in the cam lobes?
If not, then I would suggest pulling a valve cover off and measure the rocker arm lift while cranking the engine with the starter. You can do it by hand, which would be less messy (no oil shooting out the top of the pushrods!), but starter cranking might be more accurate with the lifters full of oil.

What you're looking for is inconsistent lifting action of the lifters/pushrods and/or some valves barely lifting at all.

Hope that's not it, but with all the other stuff to pull your hair out about, it might be simpler to pull a valve cover than to pull your hair out searching for other gremlins.

If you did manage to break in the cam properly, sorry to have added this scare to your list!

Paul

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
dirtdonk, i ran the motor with the carb for a few hundred miles and a few trips. it ran perfect before i put the efi on it...wouldn't hurt to check my backlash tho.

why dump the gf? i spend no money on her at all ;D
lol

it's very close...that's why it piss's me off,it just wont be fixed :(

and with it having non stop problems i don't think i could trust it at all for the 6hr drive to moab...if it brakes down ill be screwed...

found a propane kit with two tanks for 400 bucks tho it's in MS...so few hundred bucks to ship it all.

it wouldn't piss me off as much if the bronco safari was not so close and i have no choice but to drive it there and back....

i was just so pumped..got the traction bar installed,fixed the throttle cable,found and fixed a gasket problem,was going build my cage in a few weeks and bam that happens..

the way it's looking if i get the bronco ready i wont have any money for the trip. and my work just cut my hours in half 24hrs a week :cry:

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
lol, ya. and she like's bronco's too.

well, it's a fuel problem i think.

i started it,it died started it again and so i pushed down the pressure valve and nothing really came out. so did it again with the motor running and it blew out like it should. killed the motor and pushed it down and nothing.

any suggestions/idea's on what the deal is?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Give us the rundown of your fuel system. How many pumps, where they are, etc.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
all good lol

i have the stock tank with a new pickup installed, off the pickup i have a trickflow filter hard line all the way to the pump witch is right behind the driver door on the frame right up to the fuel rail, and from the return fuel rail run's down the frame and run's into a T on the over flow line on the filler neck.

would hot fuel burn up the pump? cus i found out my new muffler is blowing out by the tank heating it up.

pic's are on page 5

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I thought this was page 5? I must have setup my pages differently.

The high pressure pump doesn't like to pull fuel long distance. It would be better to have it as close to the tank (and as close to tank bottom) as possible. You could make a bracket to mount it down below the tank crossmember. I would try this before spending money on a new pump.

ren71

driving around the block and it's back firing through the intake and missing.
i pull in the drive way and floor it, it rev's up way high but that miss is still there.
all i want it to do is fricken work.....

Double check and make sure you have your plug wires routed for the correct firing order for your cam. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 or 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

NYLES

Bronco Guru
awfull lil fuel filter there (page 5)? you got a fuel pressure gauge at the motor?