• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Help

TXBRONCO61

Loc.
Albany,TX
i just got my bronco the other day and today i was in my backyard in 4x4 and all of a suden my lights and bronco turned off and wolnt start know and it wolnt jump start either and the guages dont move when i turn the key like they used to so i think it is a problem with my battery or sumthin but im not shure. it has a optuma yellow top that looks brand new but a friend came and looked at it and said it might be the silenoid not shure if that is what its called but it is what the wires off the battery connect to if anyone has any idea pleas post and help me thanks

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
welcom to the wonderful bronco gremlins
sounds like you have some bad connection issues. it depends on your set up but I would start by cleaning your connections at battery and both sides of silinoid if that doesn't help then try the connections at alternator, starter etc. years of mud and neglect creates a nice home for corosion. if that doesn't do it get a test light and start checking the wiring and have fun. I forgot about checking voltage regulator too but that usually doesn't just up and quit all of the sudden like that. mine did that and was just the connection on the silinoid. if you do clean all of these connections dielectric grease is dirt cheap and worth more than it's weight in gold. hope that helps
electrical problems suck

U

Unregistered

if you have just lost all power then check the cable connection's first, the solenoid would not cause the lights to not get power & ignition switch not to power up the inside, get a ohm meter you will need it eventually, new battery's have up to 12.8 volt's where as used will be around 12.5 for a good battery, 13.5-14.0 volts while running with a good alternator

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, that's the starter solenoid alright. Also called the starter relay.
Sounds like you lost a wire/connection/fusible link somewhere though.
If the battery is good (did you test the voltage?), then start with the battery cables and posts. They can look fine and not be. At the very least, pull them off and clean the battery posts and the insides of the cable connectors. If that's been done already, check the cables themselves.
Try taking a jumper, say a 14ga wire, and attach it to the positive side of the battery and the post on the solenoid that it goes to and where the Black w/red wire and it's fusible link attach. Just touching it to the post should restore power if your cable is bad.
Try a jumper from the negative to ground also, just to eliminate the ground cable as a problem.
Next disconnect the wires from the battery side of the solenoid for testing. Does the fusible link at the end of the large Black w/red stripe look bubbled or feel mushy? If so then it's probably blown and you can replace it. But you should first search for whatever caused it to blow.
You can now tell if the link is still good by jumping the Black w/red wire to the battery's positive post. If you have power now, then the positive battery cable or it's contact with the black wire was bad.
You can verify a problem with the fusible link by disconnecting the other end of the wire which is the Black w/yellow stripe wire on the back of the alternator. I know it's a hassle to do all this, but what you're doing is testing before you start replacing things haphazzardly. If when you jump that alternator wire to the battery's positive side all the electricals function again, then the fusible link or wire is bad at the solenoid.
It's all about test and eliminate right now. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully some of that will lead you in the right direction. The system is basically a big loop, with the battery at one end and the alternator at the other. With grounds to complete the individual circuits as needed. And either a positive or a ground (negative) will cause a loss of function.
Good luck.

Paul

ponch0v

About the same thing happened to me. Check the back of the ignition switch. Mine switch broke in half. The plastic part seperated from the metal body. Ive seen this a couple of times.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check to see if your battery has slid over and touched the lip of the inner fender and grounded you out. Mine did that and killed the Bronco. I moved it off of the fender and tied it down better and it started right back up.

Blue71

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
I second Blue71's guess. Maybe while you were wheelin' around the battery slid, grounded out and fried a fusible link or a major fuse. Would have to be pretty far up the chain to kill all power to everything. Follow DirtyDonk's directions if it's not obvious, that guy has the Bronco wiring diagram tattooed on his brain!

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
My fusible corroded from the inside out(a lot of salt water getting onto Pismo Beach during El Nino). The wire looked fine but I was having intermittent problems until complete shutdown.