• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Push Button Start

volnut77

Loc.
knoxville
I like the feature. I have it on a couple of my cars now. The problem with a EB would be that you still needed to carry a key set around to open the doors. If it unlocked the door, in proximity then it would make more sense to install one.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I worked with a guy who used a toggle switch for the ignition and a doorbell pushbutton switch for the starter. This was in college and his frat had a party van. They didn't want to worry about losing the keys.

OP
OP
chriswitt

chriswitt

Wow... some funny responses. I am making a new dash and want to make it look a little more primitive. I like the minimalist look. I want to use the old school knobs and bezels and guage cluster but i thought the push button start in an inconspicuous area would be cool. I respect the fact that it is a 40 year old truck but this seems like a cool idea. (besides i am sure lots of you guys that think this is a Jap Crap Nissan add on.... I bet you have some amenities on your rig that is not 60's-70's..... Tilt wheel, fuel injection, cd players, etc) I can't stand keys rattling around. Theft is no more of an issue with this than having a regular ignition. I am fortunate to also live in an area where theft is not really an issue (i hope). Thanks for the input! I will post some pics of my new Dash. Almost done with it!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Cool item, but someone should tell her it is real bad to leave your ipod out in plain sight, someone might break the window to steal it.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Many Ford's are coming with the push button too... Gotta say, I'm not fond of it.... Logisticly, it could be difficult, I have not looked into it but there are some electronic module interfaces that will add another element.. Not impossible, but would take some ingenuity to make it happen... Anyhow, just yesterday, one of my co-workers hopped out of the vehicle while it was running (we were talking)... He had his key fob in hand and never gave it a thought to push the button.. We had to remind him that it was still running... Then, whenever I drive one of these damn things, I tend to forget the fob in the cup holder... If you dont have or remember the keyless entry code, you'll be screwed.. But, if you run topless, it kinda takes that problem off the table.. I'm loving much of the modern tech.. But this is just silly to me..

austinbrose

You guys worry about thief's too much, anyone can hot wire a bronco in about 30 seconds if they want it! I kinda like the push button idea, but I would go with a custom set up with a key/toggle switch and then a push button to start.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
wanted yo bring this post back to the top, as I am about to put a new wiring harness in my truck. So while I am wiring it up, would be a nice addition.

Maybe someone else has found a better kit

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Why not a push button? Hell, my dad taught me to drive a three on the tree 54 ford f100 that had a push button start. It's old school and yes it needed a key. God, I loved that truck.

VT_Don

re: "I think the 21 century push button would be cool."

My '50 Merc had a push button start as did many other cars of that era.

When I see some useless fluff like that, I'm reminded why successful engineers are paid so well. Think about it. You're adding another element to the circuit that serves no functional purpose, yet adds connections that are potential failure points.

There is genius in simplicity.

OP
OP
chriswitt

chriswitt

I ended up installing the Digital Guard Dawg push button start. They offer a model with larger (heavier duty) internal relays to handle MSD high performance distributors. I initially had some install issues becuase of bad brake switch and neutral safety switch but is is working well now. As long as you have the key fob in your pocket the Bronco will start by pushing the button. I def has the cool factor. This company had good tech support. I will try to get a pic of the end result. Looks clean.

CORE4WD

Loc.
Virginia Beach
There was a pushbutton on the dash of my '66 just above my ignition switch, I wired it into the start circuit of the ig. switch and it works fine. More fun when starting on an incline with the clutch out than turning the key...

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Have any of you installed a push button start (kind of like what comes in a new Porsche or Mercedes) ? Here is one called Star Drive... I am in the midst of customizing my dash and thinking of doing something like this. Anyone know if this will work with Centech Wiring Harness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9d2dUSNOU

tough crowd. I would say if you like it and you want it then do it. that is the beauty of "customizing" of course that is my opinion.

70 sport WA

Eventually, I would like to put a push-button start in my truck. However, it would be in ADDITION to the key start. More of a theft-reduction scheme than anything else. You would still have to turn the key, but then you would have to find the push-button to actually fire the motor.

I've read this entire thread--very interesting and the best responses/read in a long time--but I gotta say this is the best, most appealing response.