• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question on a C6 swap...

DVFord

Loc.
Council Bluffs
I have a 1985 Ford E-150 with a C4. I would like to take the C4 out of my van and put it in my 1970 Bronco. I plan on taking it to a local bronco wizard to do the swap. I'm aware that the transfer case and frame cross members may need to be moved to accomodate this. My regular mechanic thought that a C4 from a two wheel drive van WOULD NOT work regardless of any modifications made to the rest of the drive train......

I also have had some tell me that the tranny in the van is NOT a C4 or a C6, how can I tell? I know for sure it is a three speed. Thanks guys!

Is he right, or will the transfer/swap kits from Tom's or the Bronco Graveyard fix any issues?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ready, here we go. is your c6 a small block pattern? If so you are good so far. Next question has to be what transfer case are you going to use? But before you can answer that you have to know the transfer case options. 205 / d20/ stak mini monster/dana 300 with a flip kit? I will start with the 205. The c6 and the 205 were a bolt up from the factory. If you do this you will need the stock 8 3/4''extension housing and the long shaft c6
If you go with the d 20 you will need an adapter to bolt the c6 to the d20. Big money. Stack mini monster is brand new and is a bolt up to a short shaft c6 with a 5 3/4'' extension housing or a 8 3/4'' Both work. No adapter needed. The 300 flip kit is just silly so I wont go there. yes on the new cross-member.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
C4, the bellhousing can be unbolted from the transmission case, much like a bellhousing on a manual transmission.
C6, one piece bellhousing and case.
That is how to tell what trans is in the van

C4 into a Bronco. It is possible, aftermarket kits from Advance Adaptors make this happen. Fits like stock. Stock crossmember, stock driveshafts. Copys of factory pieces for the most part. Keep the original transfer case

C6 can be adapted as well, but different adaptors. Crossmember relocation, driveshaft length changes, may even be easier/cheaper to find a different transfer case to install as well, but still need the changes mentioned above regarding crossmember and driveshafts.

Does that help any?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
11 bolt pan is a C4, 17 bolts is C6. A C4 will work with a bronco output shaft. You won't even have to move the crossmember. Not sure if C4's were still made in 1985 or not.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
c4 is a hundred pounds, c6 is 2 hundred pounds. Feels like it anyway. Lots and lots of vans had c6's in them.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I've heard before that many E series vans never made it to the wrecking yards around here. The local tow companies had a grapevine line on these for the much sought after C6 automatics.. The companys that needed the C6s for their fleet vehicles paid good money for them..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'85 would have been a C5 anyway, updated, screwed up version of the C4, if it is even used in the vans. It was in its last days in the cars at that time.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well i put a c6 in my bronco it has the 302. i had to lift the body 2inch's for the np205 to clear the body it fits snug in between the frame. i did half to work on the cross member a lil to make it fit gist right and i had to work on my drive lines too. but all and all it fits really nice and took me two days to get it in (lazy). hope this helps

Broncofarm

Anther option is the C6 with the 203/205 doubler.

That's what I have in mine but my rear end is back about 10" further than stock and my front end is forward about 2". I was able to clock them both flat with a 3" body lift.

I'm not sure how that setup fits in a stock wheel base Bronco but I could take some measurements of length if you end up needing them. Oh and yes you can use a 2wd transmission you will just need a 4wd output shaft and a short or long extension housing.