• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions on a carb

BigOrsnge

Contributor
I keep having what appears to be float/needle issues (I'm no carb expert). I'm getting fuel pressure to the carb, but the carb isn't filling with fuel. My set up has the usual tank filter and a filter between the tank and electric fuel pump. I shouldn't be getting trash in the lines. I've already made sure the tank was clean. I run nothing but regular gas (no corn squeezings). My question is how hard is to clean up the float/bowl. It's a Holley 2BRL and the needle just slides out, so that's easy. Just not sure about the other as I've never taken one apart.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Pretty easy to rebuild a 2bbl carb. YouTube is a big help. If the carb still has the model number tag on it, that will make it easier to get the correct rebuild kit. Also there’s a lot of members here who are experts on all things carb related.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could try tapping the carburetor at, or near the valve to see if it releases.
This tool could take the form of the end of a wrench handle, or less likely to mar the finish would be the plastic handle of a screwdriver.
These are the old time, old school methods of opening it up. Or closing it when it sticks open!

You could also spray carburetor cleaner into the bowl vent until it fills up. Let it wash through, evaporate a little, then either blow a little out with compressed air or simply crank the engine to pump it through.
These aren’t a cure-all, but they often work to make things function properly at least for a while.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
It's a new carb. Only been on there a couple months and driven a few times. Thought I was past the fuel issues but...%#^*+ !

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, with modern fuels, carburetor problems are never past tense. And what you described actually makes it worse.
Driving now and then, then sitting? That’s a carburetor’s worst nightmare. Or I should say, a carburetor owner’s worst nightmare!😁

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
Ok, back to bug you guys again. My carb is "good" now other than likely some minor adjusting. It's been tough getting the fuel pressure right I think. It's either overflowing the carb or it's running dry on me. I've adjusted floats etc but it's just been tough and it seems to change with temperature increase. I do have a spacer under the carb. My fuel lines aren't really near my exhaust (opposite side of frame) and I'm using high temp lines. Only run non-ethanol fuel. What pressure would a 302 with a two barrel carb run? I thought 4-5 psi? Just trying to guess my way through this until my mechanic can get to me.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. I was going to say somewhere between four and six should be fine.
But going dry is not so much to do with pressure, as much as it does volume. Both are very related when it comes to pumps, so have to be taken into account.
As does a sticking needle and seat assembly.
Was common enough with carburetors back in the day, but it might be even worse now with modern fuels.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
I cleaned up the needle and floats adjust and aren't stuck. Pump pressure reads 5-6. I think I've over corrected and it's just a bit of a balancing act with pressure and floats/needle. But I'm not smart enough with these, I'm just thinking through the set up and changes I've made.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I see you're running an electric fuel pump. Is it possible that it is going out intermittently which lets the fuel bowl run dry? Where do you have your fuel pressure gauge installed? when running is the gauge steady or bouncy?
Have you changed your filters lately?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forget if you said, but where exactly is the pump mounted? And do you have single, or dual tanks?

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
I see you're running an electric fuel pump. Is it possible that it is going out intermittently which lets the fuel bowl run dry? Where do you have your fuel pressure gauge installed? when running is the gauge steady or bouncy?
Have you changed your filters lately?
Fuel pump is running good, no problem there.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
I forget if you said, but where exactly is the pump mounted? And do you have single, or dual tanks?
It's on my frame about at rear wheel and it's the Carter. i don't have the reserve tank. Removed it because it was in terrible shape. Just have the one fuel line and no valve to split tanks anymore. Checked vent lines on tank as well. It's definitely getting fuel, I've watched my fuel pressure gauge on the line and it stays up until engines dies. I think I had the floats too high to start and the pressure was higher too. I "think" that's what caused the overflow. I adjusted floats and pressure down a little and it went dry. It's a Holley 2 barrel, only a couple months old. Later today, I'm going to bump my pressure up to 5 and see how it goes and adjust the carb from there I think. It idled and ran good for a little while before each issue. I did have to up my idle a little.
But I'm a glutton for punishment too...

Last edited: