• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ragin' Cajun gets a heart donor

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, I received a big o'l package yesterday from Ford Racing. A 345 h.p. heart for the old girl. I've got to change the 4 bolt to a 3 bolt balancer, and put the new water pump/pulley's from BC's Serpentine kit (which is awesome, by the way). I've also got an Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, as recommended by the Ford tech guy -- but haven't decided on the carb. He recommended a Truck Avenger 670 -- but I just haven't had great luck with Holley carbs..however, I'm leaning to going that way since it's going to be a trailer queen/street machine/babe magnet anyway. :cool: I also scored a DUI HEI distributor from BC, and will be running that on this beast...Ford guy told me he didn't like those, but when I ask him why, he said "cause they don't look cool"...wow...nice advice from the Ford Racing "Tech" line! ?:? Oh well -- nice to have something to do on this one while the body dude is having his way with her. I think he's gettin' close to yankin' the tub, and I've just been sittin' here yankin' ...never mind... ;)

Attachments

• engine001.jpg
    engine001.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 109
  • engine002.jpg
    engine002.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 112
  • engine003.jpg
    engine003.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 112
  • engineout.jpg
    engineout.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 121

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Wooooohhhooooo, I see my truck in the background on pic 4 ;D . I'm famous now.
One question though, is that a pull start cord in pic 1?

Oh, I'm sure it will be safe and secure when you drop it off at Alvins ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
Wooooohhhooooo, I see my truck in the background on pic 4 ;D . I'm famous now.
One question though, is that a pull start cord in pic 1?

Oh, I'm sure it will be safe and secure when you drop it off at Alvins ;D ;D ;D

Yeah..I used that pic just for you! and do ya see that chain? I'm gonna tell Alvin to lock it down when you come snoopin' around! ;D I'll probably be down in a couple of weeks -- as soon as I make it back out to W. Texas to pick up the tranny -- let's do a cold one when I do. Bueno Amigo??

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Man, that's freaking awesome! What did Ford set you back for that mill? I would also mention BC's quadrajet carb setup since you seem to be against the Holley TA. You plan on running power steering and air?

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
raleigh_bronco said:
Man, that's freaking awesome! What did Ford set you back for that mill? I would also mention BC's quadrajet carb setup since you seem to be against the Holley TA. You plan on running power steering and air?
It was about 3700 bones, but hey..it's got those cool covers! ;D Actually, I shopped pretty hard and finally decided that I could probably get one a "little" cheaper(not much), but am very comfortable with the quality of their build -- The BC quad is something I'm seriously considering because that's what I'll be running in my racer -- I think the downside of that carb is the knowledge base associated with it..meaning if I have problems with it, getting someone local who a) has parts and b)can actually fix it..of course, most carb guys are hacks anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. Yep -- I'm running PS (stock box, but saginaw pump) and Air (Vintage, via BC).

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
The Quad will be a good carb but if you are nervous about the complexity of one of those, I'll show you how to set up an edelbrock to work almost as well. Nothing hard. I've had my edelbrock work at better angles than my tranny (uh, transmission, not the other :-[ )

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
TexasBronco said:
Is that for the baja truck or another project?
This is for the restoration that we're doing of my grandpa's EB...The Baja truck is getting a 575 hp 408 that's getting built in Arkansas as we speak. Hold on.... ;D

I'll be headin' your way in a few weeks -- the girl is movin' into an "off-campus" location, so the o'l man has to move lot's of crap ..er..I mean "living necessaties"..for her....more space to fill up than that little dorm! plus, I'm havin' 2 trannies built in Abilene (don't tell ToddZ)-- (I always try to sneak a little eb fun into my trips!)

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
coachbarnes-just wanted to chime in and say that mill looks good ;D

If you get a chance it would be sweet to see some shots of BC's Vintage air goin in. I don't think anyone has posted pics of one of the new ones installed yet, so it will be interesting to see what the fit looks like.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
mlogan24 said:
coachbarnes-just wanted to chime in and say that mill looks good ;D

If you get a chance it would be sweet to see some shots of BC's Vintage air goin in. I don't think anyone has posted pics of one of the new ones installed yet, so it will be interesting to see what the fit looks like.
When that time comes, I will be happy to take as many "snaps" as possible. As it is my bud who is doing the resto on the rig. Unfortunately, If anything goes wrong..... it's my arse.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
4xfloored said:
did you order that with any specific cam? or was that something that was in stock..?

Very nice by the way... :)
After speakin' with their techs about what I was looking for, I ordered with the E303 Roller Cam -- their description:
"Good idle quality. Excellent low- and mid-range power. Power through 6000 RPM. Emissions legal with 5-speed manual trans (E.O. #D-225-16). Works good with automatic transmission. It provides significant horsepower increases above 2500 RPM and good low-end torque. Valve lift is .498" on both intake and exhaust. Duration at .050" is 220 degrees on both the intake and exhaust"
lookin good, i still wanna see more of the baja project. when you are in lbk texasbronco, you, and i oughta all get together to BS a lil
Not much in the way of pics for the Baja truck to show right now..but I've been collecting parts - transmissions, GPS's, radios, relay and switch panels, tranny/xfer case adapter, lights, gauges, steering column, FG skins. Just spec'd engine and ordered. Having 2 transmissions built (need a spare) and when the engine arrives, we'll drop it in with the C6 and D20. Then we'll haul it out to get the new axles/housings, driveshafts, steering linkage and cage built. We're looking at a Christmas target for completion.

Would love to hook up with you guys when I'm out there -- looking at the weekend of the 13th.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
The Quad will be a good carb but if you are nervous about the complexity of one of those, I'll show you how to set up an edelbrock to work almost as well. Nothing hard. I've had my edelbrock work at better angles than my tranny (uh, transmission, not the other :-[ )
Alan - Let's talk Edlebrock -- do you have the performer?

Todd -- count on it...you'll know pretty quick if it worked out or not! I shared concerns I've heard and spoke with 2 of their current customers. I'm convinced, but the proof will be in the delivery/performance ;)

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I run the Performer man. choke 500 cfm. unit. I have a feed and return fuel line with a Mallory by-pass press. regulator set at 3 lbs. I use the mechanical fuel pump. Inside the carb I installed the off-road needle and seat and adjusted the float. I hadn't restricted the passage between the 2 bowls as recommended by others and hadn't had any issues, but think you might wanna do this while you have the top open.
for your horsepower you might want to use the 600 cfm unit w/ elect choke.

Alan

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
I run the Performer man. choke 500 cfm. unit. I have a feed and return fuel line with a Mallory by-pass press. regulator set at 3 lbs. I use the mechanical fuel pump. Inside the carb I installed the off-road needle and seat and adjusted the float. I hadn't restricted the passage between the 2 bowls as recommended by others and hadn't had any issues, but think you might wanna do this while you have the top open.
for your horsepower you might want to use the 600 cfm unit w/ elect choke.
Alan
I was thinkin' the 600 w/Elect choke myself. Is the pressure regulator necessary? I think my mechanical pump delivers about 6-8 psi..I've never used a pressure reg on a mechanical pump..why do you do that? What does the off-road needle do for ya? You know what I'm buildin'..not one of those rock crawlin' things -- I'm gonna go fast..real fast..but upright, not upside down! ;D Edelbrock also sells something called a "calibration kit" for this carb -- it's $45..what the heck is that? They also sell an Idle Compensator that raises idle speed when A/C is on..pretty expensive at $85 -- have you ever seen that? probably something I could do if I had idle problems with stock install.

Me and the boys moved the motor from the hoist to the stand today. Got an awesome stand at Northern for $60! Also started pulling the C4 out of the racer..that's the one I'm putting back into the '74.

Does Alvin have it painted yet?? ;D ;D