• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuild 302 or Buy Crate

danbrunk

Have a '69 Bronco with a 302 running 90-110 compression. Like to either rebuild for about $5k through a local recommended guy (with EFI - Sniper?) OR buy a Crate 302 from a recommended crate motor company like ??? Prefer to keep original size that's efficient, will be a driver, not a show rig, not stroked crazy, and don't need to hit the freeway. SImple and clean.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Crate motor - what is the wait time to build one. I believe everyone is months out. Then there is their warranties, as in you can buy one that will cover removing the defective new engine and installing the replacement. Not inspiring at all. Even reviewing the particular Builder he is considering, the web site is general on what they do during a rebuild. I would like to see their process and quality checks. Someone is asking me to do this, and I am reluctant. I don't want to do it twice.

Local rebuilder - Mine is weeks out, one of the last guys in the area, so he is busy. Parts availability is still spotty. But, If there is a problem he is right there and you are keeping a local guy in business. You can stop by and check on the process, no shipping issues/delays.

I, myself, would tend to use the local resource. I have been using my guy for 28 yrs, so I know what he puts out.

Good luck with your decision. Doug.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Buy a heads, intake, cam kit and rock on for a while with 100 more hp.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
5k seems high for a rebuild unless he is removing and installing it. If you definitely want efi just find a running 5.0 from an explorer.

OP
OP
danbrunk

danbrunk

Compression looks even. does it eat oil or anything else bad? You might just need to spend $100 and do a timing set
Have a '69 Bronco with a 302 running 90-110 compression. Like to either rebuild for about $5k through a local recommended guy (with EFI - Sniper?) OR buy a Crate 302 from a recommended crate motor company like ??? Prefer to keep original size that's efficient, will be a driver, not a show rig, not stroked crazy, and don't need to hit the freeway. SImple and clean.
engine is out already. Will clean and open heads etc and see what’s up inside. Thanks for the feedback, I will go local if I even rebuild it. Just thought since it’s out, might as well…

Hytech

I was debating same" rebuild or a crate 302".

Has anyone used Blueprint engines 302 crate motor? ( $7800. W/ EFI and distributor)
Other crate motor suppliers?
Will be going into a semi restored driver, mostly on road then off road.

Thanks.

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
I have used Engine Factory for 3 crate engines .... one of which is a 302 for my 1973 Bronco. It's been 15 years for that one and not a single problem. The other two are a bit newer and no problems either. It's a family business on the East Coast. They shipped my engines to the suburbs of Chicago

hucklburry rev2

I was debating same" rebuild or a crate 302".

Has anyone used Blueprint engines 302 crate motor? ( $7800. W/ EFI and distributor)
Other crate motor suppliers?
Will be going into a semi restored driver, mostly on road then off road.

Thanks.
Normally Blueprint has a great reputation, even on this site, but maybe they are having some issues lately, per this, I have no personal experience:

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
I just went through the same debate, after having a hard time getting solid pricing from local shops I decided to just order a long block from summit.

Hytech

I looked last night and Summit had free shipping where Blueprint was $250. Same retail price.

flexmerc

Contributor
Sorry to hijack, BUT are buying heads as easy as picking a kit and the rocker arms and rods fit perfect? If so; what's the best for low end torque

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Has anyone installed an Edelbrock top end kit?
If the short block checks out, would this be a viable option to get modern day power without having to swap out to a totally different engine?
I didn't see what pistons the reccomend with that kit. Typically kits like that will be based on flat top pistons.
The typical piston you will find in a stock Bronco engine will be dished. Which will result in a lower compression ratio and less performance.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't see what pistons the reccomend with that kit. Typically kits like that will be based on flat top pistons.
The typical piston you will find in a stock Bronco engine will be dished. Which will result in a lower compression ratio and less performance.
Good catch. My FE edelbrock RPM heads are recommended with forged Icon pistons/rings. My machinist is the one who told me that's what Edelbrock recommends for that particular head. All sorts of little things that can be easily missed.

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Try your local parts house. I went to O'Rielly's and they offer crate engines. When I broke the crankshaft in my 302, I crunched the numbers and went with a 351w roller they offered with a 3-year warranty. Since they were different displacements, I had to pony up a little extra money, but it was money well spent.'