• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ripped off

jerrybromley

Contributor
It's probably my own fault , but in the last week I have attempted to make a deal on 2 different occasions on 2 different items that were offered for sale HERE. Each time I sent the money ( once Paypal , once cash app) and each time all communication ended with no part or answer. This is just to warn everybody else

bax

Contributor
Old Member
well that sucks. same guy? the warning won't help us unless we know who to stear clear of. Have you exhausted all attempts to contact this person or person's ?

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
The 2 user names from this site are "countryboy7788" and" jacksonmas ". We ended up using e-mail and all return contact has ended. I should have seen poor English and short response as a warning. My own trusting stupidity made it easy for these guys

MrT

Maybe there needs to be a bad seller sticky in the classifieds?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A little surfing reveals that "countryboy7788" has recently been very active on various vehicle "wanted to buy" forum sections. Same response to every one.."PM sent". Looks like a serial scammer at work.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
You MAY BE able to dispute the PayPal one.....IF you paid by "goods or services" or whatever it is called and NOT "friends and family".

If I don't know the buyer, I insist on the former as it protects both parties from issues - sold King coilovers for my Tacoma for $1400 (shipped) this way. When I sold the matching rear shocks for $830 (shipped) it was to a friend, so we used the "friends and family" way.

It cost me $38.50 on the coilovers, but the buyer couldn't screw me after the fact.

When buying from "a stranger" using PayPal, I offer to pay the 2.75% fee to NOT do it "F & F" way, again to cover my ass.

Well worth it either way.

OP
OP
jerrybromley

jerrybromley

Contributor
Thanks Pops68...I have been doing these kind of deals for literally decades and last week was the first time I was ripped off. I will use your advise. If I try again I won't be such a SUCKER

EB70

Contributor
I had a wanted ad on another forum. Same MO. What I wanted -an early Bronco body-was something I would want to talk about. As quick as I asked for a phone number or even an email....nothing. Apparently he was surfing wanted ads and getting people that way. He got booted. I think he did make some money off of it.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Yes, Scammers have gotten really bad on watch sales forums on the WTB side.

If someone wants paid as Friends and Family, they should be fine with normal payment with 3% added, if not walk away.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stuff like this is why I am a horder. I want to get rid of stuff, I just don't want to deal with getting rid of stuff.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
I am still waiting to get my parts from about 8 months ago that I paid 850.00 for.
After about two months of “ I am working out the shipping “ I got ghosted. Also a member on here. Paypal also. Insisted on using family and friends to save the fee. 🤔

MrT

I am still waiting to get my parts from about 8 months ago that I paid 850.00 for.
After about two months of “ I am working out the shipping “ I got ghosted. Also a member on here. Paypal also. Insisted on using family and friends to save the fee. 🤔

If your paypal is linked to a credit card call them.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Curious when people get screwed over they rarely give the email address or the username of the culprit. Nothing like some good public shaming.

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
Curious when people get screwed over they rarely give the email address or the username of the culprit. Nothing like some good public shaming.

As much as I would like to. It just does not seem right. Problem is between him and myself and my problem to deal with. Although some pressure from the mass populous might help remedy the problem. 👍👍

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe time to institute what other forums do, no sales or purchase for 12 months after first log in plus 50 post minimum. Takes care of scammers usually.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
As much as I would like to. It just does not seem right. Problem is between him and myself and my problem to deal with. Although some pressure from the mass populous might help remedy the problem. 👍👍

We'll have to agree to disagree as I wouldn't want anyone else to be scammed that I gave a heads up about. I read the reviews on Ebay, Google, Angies list even though it's between the sellers and the buyers before I go forward with a transaction.

AZ69EB

I had a want add for a dana 44 up in our parts wanted section. Out of the blue, I received a PM from “A New person” with “Zero” post who said his friend was selling one. The PM’er provided an email address and name of the seller.

So, I emailed them. We emailed back and forth a few times. Then I asked for pictures, so I provided my phone number for texting. They sent a text picture of a “New” steering box. I texted back and said I needed a dana 44 and not a steering box. They sent another picture quickly of a “Heep” dana 44.

I believe it was a scammer who was fishing. I never replied back. This has never happen to me on this site. Just be careful when selling and buying parts.