• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ripped offed on Ebay...

OP
OP
N

NWcartoons

Give me the VIV # and i will run it!!

I contacted the police the same day that I took possession of the vehicle. I tried to contact the seller the same day. No reply until I contacted the credit card company. I bought it on the assumption that the seller had receipts for stated 3,500 dollar recent paint job and bodywork, and he also stated that the only known problem was a slight oil leak. The fact that I was in his hometown and he refused to return his call indicates that it was meant to be a rip off and he knew it, he was depending on just that, selling a used car on the internet.

He had no receipt, the engine was bad, the title is clear, no stolen car report. I provided all docs to my credit card company, they agreed with me and refunded my money.

I made all available effort to contact seller to return his bronco. NO REPLY.

I think I made all efforts to be fair with seller, to return his bronco, even offered to pay to relist his bronco on Ebay once again. NO REPLY.

So far it has been sitting in my yard for almost a year. NO REPLY.

He has my email, my telephone, my name and my credit card company info.

One of the posters maybe right, maybe he is in Iraq or he is hiding as a POLAR BEAR in Munich, Germany. Who knows.;)

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
I contacted the police the same day that I took possession of the vehicle. I tried to contact the seller the same day. No reply until I contacted the credit card company. I bought it on the assumption that the seller had receipts for stated 3,500 dollar recent paint job and bodywork, and he also stated that the only known problem was a slight oil leak. The fact that I was in his hometown and he refused to return his call indicates that it was meant to be a rip off and he knew it, he was depending on just that, selling a used car on the internet.

He had no receipt, the engine was bad, the title is clear, no stolen car report. I provided all docs to my credit card company, they agreed with me and refunded my money.

I made all available effort to contact seller to return his bronco. NO REPLY.

I think I made all efforts to be fair with seller, to return his bronco, even offered to pay to relist his bronco on Ebay once again. NO REPLY.

So far it has been sitting in my yard for almost a year. NO REPLY.

He has my email, my telephone, my name and my credit card company info.

One of the posters maybe right, maybe he is in Iraq or he is hiding as a POLAR BEAR in Munich, Germany. Who knows.;)

If this is the way it went down, and I have no reason to doubt you, I dont think I feel too sorry for the original seller. If he was beat at all or even feels he was taken advantage of, he should have at least tried to communicate.

Anthony

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
go get it transfered into your name ,, if you have the title , and a bill of sale trail .,,, do it up ,, and dont look back ,,,,

on the other hand , if you were in hisd same town ,, why didnt you get over to see it in person , before the sale ? could have solved the whole problem ,
hell it doesnt have to be e bay to get ripped off ,, i got ripped off right here on this board ,, two months and still nothing in the mail ,,,
so it isnt just e bay ,, these days ,, any thing is a hazzard ,,,

Ranger345

Loc.
Omaha, Ne
So let me get this straight. you seen/ bought a vehicle on ebay that was in your hometown or very close bye and you did NOT go look at it before you bought it???

OP
OP
N

NWcartoons

No, I live in Seattle which is about 250 miles from his hometown of Spokane. I flew out there to pick it up because I talked to him on the phone and he never mentioned that it had a bad engine. I even gave him my flight number so we can meet at the airport. The car was suspiciously parked at a location other than his house, meaning it was just parked on a random street.

He started the engine, gave me the title and ran off saying he had to get back to work. Never heard back from him again until I contacted my credit card company trying to reverse charges.

I had to rent a car to return home to Seattle because the airport closed down right after I picked up the car.

You can say I was a little ticked off.

Ranger345

Loc.
Omaha, Ne
nwcartoons I would be curious to here the story in detail from start to finish. Your all over the place with the story???????

jdub1233

Just keep it. You have the title, transfer it and do whatever you want. Youve done more homework after you bought it than before which is a little weird but youve definitely got a case if someone ever comes back trying to get it. The whole thing sounds fishy to me but at least you luckily got a free bronco out of the deal. If I were you I would be smarter next time you purchase a vehicle.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Something smells fishy here!

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Looks like you need a clear title and matching glovebox door............

Redleg

The fishy smell is the crook who tried to hook someone on Ebay. I've been through the same issue with a truck. After I flew in to take possession of the truck, it was a POS represented with 10 year old pictures on ebay. The seller was a POS and the truck was a POS. I refused the truck and learned a valuable lesson. The lesson here is how to file a lien and assume ownership of an abandoned vehicle. Keep me posted, I want to know how this comes out.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I bought a 74 in Spokane, Washington from a kid about 4 years ago who said he couldn't find the title. After he didn't produce it in a reasonable amount of time, I stopped payment on the check and started looking into it. I found the registration from the guy who sold it to him and was lucky (I guess) to find him in the phone book. Turns out the kid bought it from him and went on a joy ride with it through a city park causing a lot of damage. A witness was able to write down a partial tag number and using a vehicle part left at the scene they determined the year and make of the vehicle (Not sure how they did that). The vehicle was traced back to the original owner. The kid never transferred the title and never removed the old man's tags, so the cops came and arrested the old man. It got really ugly. When I spoke to the old man, he thought I was the kid who bought it from him and threatened to have me arrested and...he said he was coming to my house to retrieve his Bronco. It was a good thing I had stopped payment on the check huh? It all worked out in the end, but I learned a valuable leason. NEVER buy anything without a valid title exchange at the time of sale. The old man met me at the DMV and transferred the title to me. Technically I didn't have to pay the kid a dime, but I did give him a much lower price than I originally paid for it. ;D

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Just about every part on a car has a number stamped or printed on it (especially the newer cars). Fords are easy, The Police can go to a Dealership with the part left behind or a parts store and match it up with the make and year range of vehicle it went on. Add that to any eye witness, Its easier than one might think to locate.