• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Cage Options? Lets see some pics

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
Here's a couple more pics of mine. You can see how the tubing is routed behind the dash. I did have to remove the ash tray and shift the grill and glove box over to make room for the passenger side bar to fit.

Attachments

• 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 216

crutch

Newbie here restoring my first Bronco and been looking for a roll cage as well. I was wondering if there are any good options without the front bars that connect to the driver and passenger floor? Anyone secured a 4 point rear family cage to the windshield without the front bars going to the floor?

The vehicle will be used primarily for the beach and I was hoping to avoid the beefy 8 point taking up the space in the front cab. Any recommendations?

tankhunter

Lots of nice cages in this thread but I really want to see how everybody is tying them to the frame

mattt

Bronco Guru
Bringing this thread back up to ask a follow up question to those who have run the tubing thru the dash for the A pillar. Is there anyone who has spaced the dash off the cowl at the top of the dash? I ask because as I'm stretching the slot in the dash down to accommodate the tubing passing thru the dash, I'm not sure that there will be enough room to not have to get into the glove box door on the face of the dash. As an example, look at post #62 in this thread and see how the slots in the dash extend very far down the dash. If the glove box door is in stock position, that would not work. As a comparison, look at post #47, and SC74's "high and tight" dash slots that appear they would not interfere with a glove box door in stock position.

I am using 1.75" tubing and the A pillar tubing is fairly snug to the windshield frame, spaced off the frame/cowl just 1/2". I placed it like this to keep the slot in the dash as high and tight as possible, but it's getting close. One possible solution is to space the top of the dash off the cowl by a small amount instead of bolting it as it was factory. I'm specifically talking about the small mounting ears on each side of the dash that uses the small and short hex head bolt.

Has anyone spaced the top of the dash off to accommodate the A pillar passing thru and not having to slot the dash too far down?

Any downside to spacing the top of the dash off the factory mount? I'm sure there is something that I'm just not thinking of. I'm thinking spacing max 1/2".

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I dont know what would happen if you spaced the dash. Think it might look kind of wierd with the gap. I moved the glove box door over to stay out of the bar.

Attachments

• cage3.jpg
    cage3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 135

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Lots of nice cages in this thread but I really want to see how everybody is tying them to the frame

Like this:

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

mnido

Here is mine, built right here in San Diego !

Attachments

• 20151109_124105.jpg
    20151109_124105.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20151119_100410.jpg
    20151119_100410.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 103

tommyg

Contributor
Bronco Bob here as well. Put one in my past Bronco and it was a great product.

- F

Really like the look of the Bronco Bob cage, but not a fan of the bar across the windshield. Has anyone installed one without this piece?

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
A couple more pics of mine,out of the powdercoat shop.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 95

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
8 point family cage hand built by Mike Dyster aka greaseball and his son. 3 different sizes of tubing, spaced for the wiper motor and powdercoated silver. Only downside is the hard top wont fit. Almost overbuilt...

00P0P_la4jxGFkgHY_600x450_zpsqovoqfzp.jpg

00z0z_fVbr8BZUYxt_600x450_zpst3txzutx.jpg

00J0J_4e1FKjGTCnb_600x450_zpsgzzra0ql.jpg

00U0U_5Z3RqZj364j_600x450_zpstlrsuuks.jpg

20151108_145738_zps7cvcxkxm.jpg

20150211_193204_zpsg13t1rjd.jpg

20150211_193123_zpste94zmau.jpg

mattt

Bronco Guru
Bringing this thread back up to ask a follow up question to those who have run the tubing thru the dash for the A pillar. Is there anyone who has spaced the dash off the cowl at the top of the dash? I ask because as I'm stretching the slot in the dash down to accommodate the tubing passing thru the dash, I'm not sure that there will be enough room to not have to get into the glove box door on the face of the dash. As an example, look at post #62 in this thread and see how the slots in the dash extend very far down the dash. If the glove box door is in stock position, that would not work. As a comparison, look at post #47, and SC74's "high and tight" dash slots that appear they would not interfere with a glove box door in stock position.

I am using 1.75" tubing and the A pillar tubing is fairly snug to the windshield frame, spaced off the frame/cowl just 1/2". I placed it like this to keep the slot in the dash as high and tight as possible, but it's getting close. One possible solution is to space the top of the dash off the cowl by a small amount instead of bolting it as it was factory. I'm specifically talking about the small mounting ears on each side of the dash that uses the small and short hex head bolt.

Has anyone spaced the top of the dash off to accommodate the A pillar passing thru and not having to slot the dash too far down?

Any downside to spacing the top of the dash off the factory mount? I'm sure there is something that I'm just not thinking of. I'm thinking spacing max 1/2".

Still getting after this and took two pictures to show what I have going on at the dash, A pillar area. I'm not nuts about spacing the top of the dash off the cowl, windshield frame area, but I may have no choice if I leave the glovebox in stock location.

Currently the A tube is spaced off the windshield frame by 1/2", the 2 wood spacers are paint sticks(each one 1/4" thick). As can be seen the slot in the dash can't go any lower on pass. side without getting into the glovebox face on the dash. The second pic shows the little ear tab bracket for the dash that is mostly covered by door gasket when everything is assembled. That ear tab bracket is about 3/8" away from where it should be if the dash were to go in factory position. I'd rather keep the A tube at 1/2" away from the windshield frame to avoid rattle, but that's keeping the dash pushed out at the top. The A pillar tube is set at & mimicking the angle of the windshield frame lean back itself.

I'm looking for opinions or been there done that, with having the top of the dash spaced off that 3/8" or less.

I have seen one cage here on Classic with A pillar pass thru and a glove box in factory location. I'm still not positive how he pulled it off, but it has been done.

Suggestions, critiques welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 143
  • cage1.jpg
    cage1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 132

mattt

Bronco Guru
Here's the $200 dollar fix to your problem:

Yeah, I considered that option a while back but the BC dash just wasn't enough "Bronco" dash for me so I'm reworking the factory dash.

Got it done today....had to reduce to 1/4" the space between the A pillar tube and the windshield frame. Cage is in the home stretch now with just some finish welding, gusseting, and seat mounts left to do.

Attachments

• cage3.jpg
    cage3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 129