• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SECURITY SYSTEM - 74 Bronco

Berta74

My 74 Bronco is now ready to hit the streets. What do you guys recommend for some type of security system? A friend of mine has an ignition-disengage switch he removes from SUV when he exits the vehicle. Is there something like this for Classic Broncos? I called CarToys and for $200 they will install a security system that comes with a fab that if the security system is engaged then you cannot move the vehicle unless you have this fab to deactivate. I don't have any doors on my Bronco and always have the top off so I want to make sure I have something that is pretty legit.

Any ideas?

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Same boat as you - never have the top on and no doors.

I have a cutoff switch hidden under the dash that cuts off all power to the ignition. You can put the key in and turn it nothing happens if the switch isn't turned on. It's the cheapest and most basic thing in the world but it works. All you need is a $5 toggle switch.

I was having some work done and had the shop install it for me, mainly out of laziness and my awesome ability to screw up everything wiring related. I think I paid $60

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Car alarms are worthless IMO. You walk down the street and you hear them on every corner. No one gives them second thought.

Stick with the three “D’s” deter, delay, detect

I like kill switches myself. I also like pulling the rotor. Not to may thieves walking around with a rotor in their pocket. A fuel shutoff valve (hidden) also works. They might get it but will not get too far.

A quick disconnect steering wheel is a very good option.

Just remember, if they want it bad enough, they will take it no matter what you do. They don’t care about the slap on the hand they will get if caught.

Tim

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I know my kill switch kept my wife from taking my bronco. She asked if she could drive it to town, so I told her to switch tanks before she left, told her how and where the tank valve was. She got it mixed up with the kill switch. She called, and said "I flipped the switch and nothing happens". Lol:)

NYLES

Bronco Guru
look up a magnetic switch can be mounted secure but you must have magnet in place for it to work

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viperwolf has a diagram for a good set up that shuts off both + and - side of coil.

One switch opens the power wire to the coil and shorts the distributor side of the coil to ground at the same time. A thief might try to jumper 12V to the positive side to get it running but the short will still prevent that. Hide the switch and wire connections well.

Attachments

• kill sw.JPG
    kill sw.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 237

Lennardlector

Contributor
I install this in all my vintage projects: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002843011

Marine grade cutoff switch.
In race cars, we are required to mount this on the outside off the car so in case of a crash/fire the response team can manually cutoff the electricity for obvious reasons.

I put one inside the car as well in my personal cars and it serves two purposes, fire safety and theft deterrent. Easy setup, take the negative battery cable and hookup to one end, take the other to a ground.

I have a paracord keychain, one end is keys the other is the master switch with a clip in between in so I can leave it in if I'm at home.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
buy a big pitbull chain him with about 20 ft

Works for me.

They are perfectly safe unless you are a squirrel or a cat, but they don't know that.

Seriously though, if they want it, they will probably get it, some of the cheapest things mentioned above are some of the most fool proof.

Attachments

• 20120916_1448422.jpg
    20120916_1448422.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 801

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
These threads always get fun.

I have a kill switch that kills the ignition. I also have one that cuts power to the electric fuel pump.

My favorite is something my cop friend did to his Chevelle. He connected a wire to his brake switch (or light, can't remember now). That wire went to a relay. From the relay, power went to his incredibly loud horn, a strobe hidden under the car, and two inside the car. So, once it was turned on, whenever someone hit the brakes, the car looked and sounded like an ambulance. He kinda wants someone to try to steal it, just to see what they do trying to drive that thing out of his neighborhood!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That'd stop most these days!

We had a thread about this a few years ago, and I think the results were a tie between a rabid badger and a trunk monkey.
Applying both would seem to fit just about any circumstances.

Paul

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Noting beats the trunk monkey ;D

But . . . I was looking at this or if you have EFI, this relay immobilizer.

The problem is, I don't know if they are still available-all the web sites look old and I can only find one retail source for them.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I have this on my Bronco and one other classic car:

http://nohotwire.com/

Supposedly they've never had one defeated. Check the "Testimonials" page. Lots of stuff from 4x4 folks who have open-top vehicles.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I have a "chip" ,it's about 1 inch square that slips into a slot to make the connection.There are about 6 combinations of wires that you can run to as many circuits that you want to interupt. I hid mine in a easy place to reach ,but hard to detect.You just pull it out and it disables numerous circuits. So if they bypass the starter the coil is still disabled...Etc.
You just have to remember to pull the plug...Doh!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think a disabling device is a good idea however a lot of auto thefts are tow-a-ways so I'd still invest in a good alarm system. When a tow truck hooks up to a car in a parking lot, not many people seem to notice or even care. That's how some cars are stolen.

CJ74BRONCO

I have two large padlocks, one going through the brake pedal and one through the clutch pedal. I welded a tab the padlock goes through preventing both pedals from moving. If they manage to hotwire the bronco good luck driving it out of the parking lot with no brakes and no clutch.

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
how about a male and female headphone jack? If you can find one that can be mounted next to the ignition yuo can run the ignition through the female side and wire both wires on the male side together to close the circuit, attach it to your keychain and it goes with you.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
how about a male and female headphone jack? If you can find one that can be mounted next to the ignition yuo can run the ignition through the female side and wire both wires on the male side together to close the circuit, attach it to your keychain and it goes with you.

Similar to a magnetic reed switch hidden behind a panel somewhere. Just put a magnet over it to complete the circuit, take the magnet or hide it somewhere when you get out.