• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spacer between TB and manifold

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Is there a point/need for the spacer between the throttlebody and the upper manifold? Do I need that?

photo-65.JPG

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It depends. If you are not going to use EGR you can get rid of it if you plug the EGR passage in the manifold first. If you leave it open the hot gases could damage the throttle body.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Idle control valve might not fit without it?

I could see shaving it thinner, but removing it completely might be playing with the "fluid dynamics Gods". You don't know how the airflow will flow till you flo it without the spacer...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We just installed a BCB spacer ("EGR Eliminator Plate") kind of thingy, and it worked fine. It's roughly 1/4" thick (looks thicker to my eye though) and with it, there didn't seem to be any interference issues with the IAC.
If you plug the round hole in the base manifold, like Viperwolf mentioned, you could probably get away just fine without any kind of spacer or block-off plate. The BCB plate has a boss with threaded holes for mounting something (some kind of bracket?), but if I remember, my friend's remained empty.

Paul

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
How is it recommended to plug the holes? I started tearing into my donor car toady and thought the same as NYB. I am having trouble getting the torx screw out on top of the manifold (holds the 5.0 HO plate on top to access the last two bolts) Any help 2nite would be appreciated as I will continue with the removal tomorrow

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After you strip out the torx heads take a 5/16 or 3/8" nut and set it on top of the stripped out torx. Take your MIG welder and plug weld the nut to the screw head. Wait about 10 seconds and place an ice cube on top of the nut for a few seconds. Put a wrench on it and try to backit off. If it is a cold weld, grab another nut and try again. Keep repeating. I have had some that ate 4 nuts before the screw finally came out.

Welding a nut on does 2 things. Gives you something to back the screw out by. And it applys heat. The aluminium will soak up the heat, the ice cube shrinks the steel. Timed right you have hot aluminium and cooler steel. Sometimes the ice cube isn't even needed.

Severe case, take a hammer and break the 5.0 plate to give access to the inner bolts. That is the hack way. A trick for pulling an upper intake at a junkyard when the torx screws won't come loose and you don't care about the 5.0 plate.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How is it recommended to plug the holes?

On the ones I'm familiar with, there is a single hole in the center of the lower manifold, in-between the intake runners. I've heard that you can thread a pipe-plug down into it and either use sealer, or weld it in. I would think that if it's sized right and you pre-thread the hole, it should seal pretty well.
Otherwise you can just leave it open and use the block-off plate that fits between the throttle-body and the upper plenum.

Paul

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
On the ones I'm familiar with, there is a single hole in the center of the lower manifold, in-between the intake runners. I've heard that you can thread a pipe-plug down into it and either use sealer, or weld it in. I would think that if it's sized right and you pre-thread the hole, it should seal pretty well.
Otherwise you can just leave it open and use the block-off plate that fits between the throttle-body and the upper plenum.

Paul

yup. 3/8ths NPT if I recall correctly.

781887849_MXVF7-L.jpg

781888366_RTJBw-L.jpg

781888123_dDZBW-L.jpg

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
If you are running mustang/explorer heater tubes and BC cables the throttle linkage hits them without at least one inch of spacing. I just used a solid gasket before the spacer blocking the egr port when I had the mustang intake but its better to plug it lower in the intake.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I just remember before I intsall the heater tubes with the BC AC I had TB mounted right to the intake with a solid gasket- just need to grind a little spot for the idle air bybass-

TheLimeRanger

to get those torx head bolts off, get yourself a torx head on a 3/8's drive socket. lean on it real hard. i tightened mine ever so slightly then backed them out. there is no way they are coming out with a torx head screwdriver.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
airrad or something like that makes a spacer that is also supposed to improve performance a tad.... might look into it.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The problem I am having is the torx are shearing off in the bolt. I have to try and dig it out to go at it again....

blainebrazil

Loc.
Santa Rosa
if you are running a egr eliminatior plate there is no need to block the passage in the intake? Is this correct? or do you have to block the passage and use the plate

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The problem I am having is the torx are shearing off in the bolt. I have to try and dig it out to go at it again....

Try the welding a nut trick still. even with a broken off head the weld will only stick steel to steel, steel won't stick to the aluminium. Gives the heat action as well and less chance of screwing up the threads (yes, bad pun I know)

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I will try that. I have to get my mig repaired first. Bought it 15 years ago when my dad and I restored a stang, then it sat. Needs a new stinger and cable so I am thinking time to get a longer cable while I am at it... As far as getting the cover off, I only need it off to remove the harness out of the donor, since I am going with an RJM, I will just break out the dykes and make some quick work of it.

muddog899

ok need to do my floor pans in the drivers and pass side would the body glue work there :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you are running a egr eliminatior plate there is no need to block the passage in the intake? Is this correct? or do you have to block the passage and use the plate

Pretty much correct. But by blocking it off below the manifold, you keep the hot gasses away from the plate and TB. Not a big deal in my mind, and probably a good thing to have some heat up there if living where the weather gets cold sometimes.
For max performance, you keep the intake as cool as possible, but for all-around use and living where it might ice up easier, a little heat can be a good thing.

Paul