• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter Solenoid

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just thought I'd share. Bronco wouldn't start, no power, nothing...Started working back from the battery. Found some corrossion on the post so I cleaned them off and put them back on minus my cable to my amp since the connecter came off the crimp. Boom truck fires up, drive it all day. I get home and want some good tunes so I re-crimp my amp cable and attach it. Truck wants to jump start as soon as we put the battery cables on. Take the amp cable off same thing... Key totally out of the ignition too. I ended up replacing the starter solenoid and now its fine. Anyone ever have a solenoid go bad like this? This one was basically new maybe 3 years old but only 500 miles on it ....
08684C43-DA38-4783-ADA9-7EAB963354E0.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, all the time. It's probably the single most failure prone POS auto part that is available in the US today.
Or at least it seems like it...

It's so bad that the usual recommendation is to go to the junkyard and source an old beat up original, rather than buy new with a nice lifetime warranty. Warranties are great, but they don't help when you're stranded somewhere far from home.

Now, your issue could have stemmed from other sources possibly, but with the newer crop of relays (like the last 10 to 15 years or so, but worse in the last 5) you are considered lucky if it works right out of the box.
And if it does, you're double lucky if it works for more than three or four starts, or a week. Whichever comes first...

Paul

johnbeck

Is there a marine starter solenoid that Broncos could use? I personally would pay double what a part is worth just to get a quality item to not get stranded using junk parts. Not commonly seen but if someone like Wildhorses offered a premium part option, say 50 per cent more than the standard Chinese stuff, a significant number of customers would pay the price to lessen the likelihood of being stuck on the side of the road. Obviously not all parts would be available in the premium quality, but having the option on some might generate a market niche where customers view those up grade parts and then, while on your website, elect to purchase your less expensive one. Just a thought

Last edited:

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
In the equipment world a metal continuous duty solenoid is common. Seems to last until corrosion gets to it. I think the "ford" style bakelite remote solenoid suffers from too many amps with the original ford field pull in starters. It lasts longer as a helper solenoid to a modern piggyback solenoid style bendix starter...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Onan version is a good idea. I have one from Volvo/Penta that's made in the USA and is Marine rated (or certified, or whatever they call it) so should be a good one.
The Bakelite case has not beeen the weak link that I've ever heard though. It's the crappy parts inside the modern replacements.

In the old days it was not impossible to find a bad one. But it sure wasn't easy! In all my years I rarely saw a failed original. Some did finally fail, but many more that were thought to be bad turned out to be problems with other parts.

The one I have from Volve/Penta is the modern "pancake" style with the diode protection but it still has both the S and the I wire terminals, whereas most modern styles have eliminated the I post because it was not needed or used.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Back when I WAS ON THIS web sight every night I wrote about these bad Solenoids regularly ..
I was in the parts business from 1967 until 1995... Man these noids were turds.
I sold Standard Ign mostly SS581 .. But the wear house I WAS HOOKED WITH
Went to BWD . & I couldn't find a good one.
GOOD LUCK.

johnbeck

Excellent advice! I'll check the Onan and the Volvo Penta solinoids. Thanks

brewchief

The stancor or white rodgers 586-902 has been used as an upgrade for the glow plug relay on 7.3 powerstroke diesels for years, it's rated at 200 amp continuous and like 600 inrush. I'm not sure if it would be an ideal replacement but it would be worth a good look.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk