• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

thinking of making the switch to a 351w

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
All right guys (and gals), I am looking into what I need to do to make the successful switch from a 302 to a 351w (I have a 69 351W ready for rebuild). I have a 69 with a 3 spd. I have a lot of questions and want to know the can of worms I could be getting myself into:

1.) should I go carb or efi?
2.) to stroke or not to stroke (and who makes a good stroker kit)?
3.) what do I need to beef up if I go to stroker... auto trans or 4 speed (nv3550?).. need new driveshafts, rear gears and axles?
4.) has anyone made the switch and recall the total cost to do it?
5.) How much of a pain is it to do? (I've read a couple of posts from bax and others about shoehorning it in)

Thanks for all the help in advance.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
My first suggestion is a body lift or hood scoop if you don't already have either. The 351 has a taller deck height than a 302.

1. A carb would be easier, but the EFI will be well worth the time. I hope to go EFI on mine someday. I suggest EFI if you have the time and patience.

2. Stroke it! Can there be too much power? ;D
Really, Whether you stroke it or not, do a good solid build while you have an engine out. I don't know the best place for a stroker kit.

3. If you gear it low, and drive on the highway, you will be better off with a Tranny with Overdrive. An NV3550 seems to be a great swap, with no necessary driveshaft mods. I hope to do that also in the future.

I'll let someone with more experience answer 4 and 5. Good luck on whatever you do! :)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
For #5 I think you are confusing shoehorning in a 351M into an EB, not a Windsor. Bax did a 408 from a 351M (30 over using a 400 crank and pistions). The 351W bolts right in - just taller, as stated, and you'll either a body lift or hood scoop.

markperry

Bronco Guru
!. Carb is much easier
2. My 67 mustang is stroke to a 392, but don't really need too do that to your Bronco..unless you feel the need? I have a stock 351W in my Bronco and am very satisfied!
3. No driveshaft mods if you use your stock tranny and t-case

OP
OP
duder

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Thanks for the good info so far guys. I'm just getting back into these things after having a nasty accident 15 years ago (flipped the Bronco end over and and three barrel rolls into oncoming traffic). Couple more questions:

1.) is the 69 351w a good motor to go with?
2.) sounds like not too many changes if I did stroke it; no changing of drive shafts... just change out the tranny to a nv3550... any change to trans case needed?
3.) how much bod lift would I need 1 inch... 2 inches? (not a big fan of body lifts, hate the gap between the body and the bumpers)
4.) thinking I would go carb now, then switch later to efi (thus no major changes to the harnesses since the 302 & 351W are same except for their height & displacement)
5.) is the nv3550 a good trans if I did stroke? other options?

thanks again, Jay

Jakedog

Make sure you have the right oil pan for the 351. You don't have to do a body lift or a hood scoop to make it fit. I had a fiberglass hood with the hood scoop when I had my 75 so I was good either way when I did my 351w. I know another guy who had a 74 with the 351w, and he was completly stock. He did not have any clearance issues with his stock hood and 351w. I really liked the low end torque of my 351!

fordtrucksrule

Well what do you want to do with your bronco? if you wanna make a good off road that will get good mileage like 60% off road 40% onroad or even visa versa i would do stock heads with a good rv cam so you can get your torque at a low rpm. if you want do do a street burner or you do mostly street driving i would go with windsor jr or even sr heads with a mid range to upper range cam it will also depend if youre going to stroke

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
x2. I've had a stock hood on my 351W with no BL.

I have one now without a scoop or body lift, but it doesn't have much clearance at all with a 2 barrel and stock type air cleaner.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
You will definitely need a body lift or scoop if you go EFI. I am running no body lift on my crawler and will probably end up losing most of the hood for a scoop to fit over the intake. I am running a 351W truck lower, BC Broncos adapter and a 5.0 Car HO upper intake. There is no way the hood will clear.

OP
OP
duder

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Here's what I'm thinking so far:
1.) gonna do a 1 inch body lift. If I do efi gonna have to be a 2 inch lift.
2.) still not sure about stroker

still unsure as to what heads to go with.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '69 isn't my first choice, but if you already have it, use it.
From there it is mostly just a question of how crazy do you want to make it?
A 3.85" kit is great bargin stroker considering the cost of the parts vs. machine cost of regrinding a used crank.
I prefer the 408 kits in the use of aftermarket longer rods.
But I do feel that better heads are a good improvment (like asking what color is best, most all are good and to each there own)

Transmission also depends on what you want. Keeping a stock(ish) 351 and just about anything you want will be fine. As you turn up the wick you need to plan the rest of the drivetrain accordingly. Not knowing your plans I can't give advise here.

Carb is easier then EFI
Either can fit under a stock hood without a body lift if the right parts are used. But when you start getting high flow stuff to feed strokers then you will have hood clearance issues. Body lift, hood scoop are both options around it.
There are quick ways to get EFI (BC adapter to put car upper on truck lower) but beware that these are intended for stock 351 applications. Strokers with good heads can't breath this way. Also strokers won't like stock squashed intakes.

I would pass on the NV3550 with a stroker. Good trans but a nicely built stroker will make a LOT more torque then a normal small block. I would not be comfortable putting that kind of power through that light of a trans.

If you want a 4-speed auto, research out the 4R70W. A generation above the AOD, wider reatio gear set, proper lockup converter, has been shown to handle stupid amounts of power and will bolt right to the Ford engine.

OP
OP
duder

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Thanks for the great info Broncobowsher.

I just picked up a brand new set of Victor Jr heads.

Any opinions on intakes? Victor Jr intake?

Still unsure on the stroking of the 351w, thinking I will get enough power using a different cam (not sure what to go with there either) and these heads.

OP
OP
duder

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Starting to piece it all together.

1.) looking for a 4R70W tranny. Does it matter weather it comes out of a Lincoln Towncar or a F-150 (my guess is that the ratios will be quite different)?

2.) What does a 4R70W run used or rebuilt?

3.) I have the Victor jr heads... should I try to find an early lightning upper and lower efi intake? Any other intakes that are lower rise and still very good?

4.) What transfer case should I mate up to the R470W (I don't have the $$$$ for an Atlas!).

5.) I'm thinking of skipping the stroker and just making it a hopped up 351w bored .30 or .40 over with a mod cam. But hey, I could change my mind easily on this one ;)

If I don't go stroker I've got a rebuilt C4 I'll mate up to the 351W.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
duder

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Thanks Rusty. Will the NP205 mate up easily to the R470W? Did they come together or do I need a special adapter, and if so any idea who makes one?