• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who has the worst factory welds....

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
O.K. so who has the worst factory welds on their boxed frame.

This is about average on mine (skipped spaces, questionable penetration, 1/8” bead):

welds1.jpg

This is about as good as it gets on mine:

welds2.jpg

I mean really…..was Ford trying to save on wire, or did I just get some “stoned hippie welder, 4:30 pm on a Friday” back in 1970.

Are all Bronco frames this way, or is mine simply a “less than stellar” example?

Amac70

ME
yours look above average. That must of been the monday morning crew. i took my track bar bracket off last week and it was only welded good on one side the other just poped right off no grinding at all. mine was welded together by an epileptic guy having a siezure.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
must not have been too stoned, as 38 years later they are still holding the frame together.

Mine are a little better, at least in some places

Attachments

• frame6.JPG
    frame6.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 111
  • frame7.JPG
    frame7.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 105
  • frame8.JPG
    frame8.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 98

PHARMIE

I think you guys have great looking welds compared to mine. I thiink mine was made by stoned hippes on a friday at quiting time.

instigator

what do you expect? these welds were made 30 to 40 years ago and for the most part, the welds are still holding the frames together. get a grip.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
must not have been too stoned, as 38 years later they are still holding the frame together.

Mine are a little better, at least in some places

Frame looks good. What'd you coat it with?

OP
OP
Flintknapper

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
what do you expect? these welds were made 30 to 40 years ago and for the most part, the welds are still holding the frames together. get a grip.

I am not contesting whether or not they "held". I could have "globbed" on a bunch of welds and they would still "be there" 30 years later.

The point is: They welds look like someone was just learning to mig weld and it appears to me that the amperage could have been a bit hotter and the wire feed rate a little slower.

They could have "stitch" welded it with better results.

What other problems do you have with this thread, we'll go ahead and get them out of the way too.

instigator

sounds like to me that you need to know what type of welders that was used 30 to 40 years ago. this was the beginning of the robot welding and for your informatin it was not capeable of ''stitch welding''.do i have to agree with evert dumb a$$ on these thread???????????????get a grip

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd forgot that I too had laughted at mine back when I was rebuilding it...But I guess mine is like the next Guy who gets mine say that "PO'' was a real piece of work look at what he did it only lasted 30 years...""KMA"".....
I like it......

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Some peoples children.........

While removing the spring hangers from my friends frame I was surprised at how little penetration the welds had. It makes me feel better about my welds if theirs will last 40 years.

OP
OP
Flintknapper

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
sounds like to me that you need to know what type of welders that was used 30 to 40 years ago. this was the beginning of the robot welding and for your informatin it was not capeable of ''stitch welding''.do i have to agree with evert dumb a$$ on these thread???????????????get a grip

Let me put an end to this thread...since you seem hell bent on ruining our fun.

Better to end it now, then to get it locked.

258Troll_spray1.jpg

Last edited:

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
HaHaHa
I had my whole frame rewelded before it was painted.
Hey instigator............get a grip.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
My frame looked ok although my rear leaf spring hangers were missing some weld in areas as well as the front coil spring hangers. While we had the frame down to weld on the new shock hoops, extended radius arm mounts, we just welded up anything that didn't look quite right. No big deal!

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 25