• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who runs EFI and dual tanks?

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Where did you put the low volume pump so it was close enough to both tanks to not have to pull too hard? Or did you run two pumps, and if so, how did you wire it? I know Chuck at BC has the electric selector but it switches tanks and uses one pump. Does that strain the pump too much?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Cali77Bronco said:
Where did you put the low volume pump so it was close enough to both tanks to not have to pull too hard? Or did you run two pumps, and if so, how did you wire it? I know Chuck at BC has the electric selector but it switches tanks and uses one pump. Does that strain the pump too much?
When I ran two tanks my selector was located in the same place as the original one and the pump was (still is) located on the frame approx. under the drivers seat right behind the aux. tank. One of these days I may move the pump back closer to the tank but since it has never had a problem (Been that way for a couple years) it isn't a high priority. And no I did not run a pump for each tank. The pollack electric selector valve specifically says in the instructions that it can't be used with pusher pumps. That was the reason I decided to try mine with a single pump only when I already had 3 pumps. One of the low pressure pumps I gave away and the other I still carry with me in case anyone needs one on the trail.

Solar Aviator

How about this?

I'm installing a EFI in a 70. I'm thinking about putting an intank pump from the Mustang in the main tank along with the return and vent line to a vapor canister. A lot of airplanes I have flown use transfer pumps to move fuel from one tank to a feed tank. A low pressure pump to move fuel from the aux to the main would eliminate the selector valve. A vent line from the main to the aux would prevent overflow. Flip a toggle switch with a pilot light to transfer the fuel. Just an idea. %)

Bronconut

I run mine from the tanks to a 6 port selector valve to a single high pressure pump. I ran the return lines into the vent hoses on the stock tanks. Its a fairly new install, but I have run through both tanks without any problems at all. After reading about Saddleup only using one pump I thought I would try it and so far so good..

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If I did it again I would use a transfer pump instead. (I'm not the only one that didn't like the selector valve which was erratic and only worked right when it wanted to, I always got good fuel pressure but it wasn't always coming from the tank I had it set to) I wouldn't worry too much about a return line though since the aux. tank has a smaller capacity. I would just wait until the main tank was almost empty to transfer fuel into it.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I have an intank pump in the main tank and I was using a small pump to transfer fuel from the aux to the main. It caused me some issues.

The main tank sits in between the frame rails where as the aux tank is attached to the body and sits well above the frame rails. I had issues with the fuel transferring because of gravity to the main. It also I believe was being siphoned out of the aux and over filling the main. I once filled them both up and drove for about an hour. I heard this hissing sound, I slowly removed the aux cap and nothing changed. I pulled the main and gas shot out about 6 feet coating myself. I have now put an on-off switch on this and it has not been a problem since. I have also not used it much as with the ski install it flexed the plasic aux so bad that the sender no longer seals.
I have not looked into this since, I was at the time looking for a switching valve that could handle two high pressure pumps.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I had the two tanks feeding a 6 way and an accumulator and it looked like a spagetahi feed. I have since removed most of it. I now run the rear 23 gal tank with the filter and hp pump at the rear just out of the tank and straight to the efi. When the tank gets low enough to warrant it. I turn on an electric pump on the side tank to empty it into the rear tank. Things are a lot simpler and cleaner. I do have to remember to turn the side tank pump off. So I don't turn it on until I can concentration only on that, like over a beer. Did I say that???????????????;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mine is stock up to the stock selector valve.
Low pressure pump from the selector valve to the accumulator
Accumulator returns only to the main tank.
(fuel injection is its own loop going from and to the accumulator as well)

Run main tank until low
Turn to aux tank
Aux empties through accumulator into main tank.
When aux is empty, switch back to main.
No siphon feeds, no 6 way valves, simple and works. Cheap too. Acumulator was made from a disposable propane bottle and the low pressure pump is left over from the carburator days.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I'm one of the apparently small minority that uses dual tanks feeding into a motorized Pollak 6 way valve and has no problems. At least not for the 4 years I've had it. Of course now that I write this...

Before the valve I've got a cheap inline fuel filter in the feed line from each tank. Rear is a 23 gallon NWMP tank, aux is the original plastic 10 gallon unit. After the valve I've got a Carter high volume low pressure vane pump, then a stock spec (Bosch) F250 frame mount high pressure pump, then a Ford EFI fuel filter. No accumulator. Pollak valve is switched by the OEM fuel gage selector switch that came stock on my Bronco.

I'm not necessarily advising anyone to do it my way, but it works for me. I like having the tankage. I do a few long road trips a year and I like the option of not having to stop or carry cans.

rubiconbronco

Loc.
Placerville, CA
i run a TBI unit with 15psi. In my rear custom tank i have an intank pump for volumne and then it runs up to an electric tank selector then after the selector i have a pressure pump. i use the pressure pump to draw from the side tank too. its all wired up like the late model ford trucks. i have been running it since 98 with no problems. if you want more details on wiring and plumbing let me know and i can email the details

meckanik

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
So, I'm running EFI and dual tanks but with no return lines. I'll post a seperate thread on this later but I used an idea that someone posted on this board. That person didn't reply to any emails asking for more info or pictures so I figured it out for myself.

Here's a pic (please note the white & red wires are the previous owners solution to running stereo wires %) )

edit (to add a little detail):
Basically this is a reservoir system. The low pressure pump pulls from the tank and feeds a reservoir bowl (essentially a Holley float bowl system w/ float) the float ensures the reservoir is kept full. The high pressure pump pulls fuel from the reservoir and sends it to the fuel rail; the fuel then returns from the rail to the reservoir.

Seems to work pretty well so far.

-Jeff

Attachments

• th_IMG_0039.jpg
    th_IMG_0039.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: