• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI & Explorer Serp Swap – (First Start - RUNS!)

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
What year heads do you have? If you have the older small water inlet heads that might not work well with the later big inlet intake gasket. You may have to use 289 intake gaskets and pay particular attention to those ports with a little extra RTV.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Also have you addressed the firing order issue?
There is no firing order issue. Ignition firing order has to match the camshaft valve order, period. Injector order would be best if it matched the ignition firing order but it doesn't need to.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
There is no firing order issue. Ignition firing order has to match the camshaft valve order, period. Injector order would be best if it matched the ignition firing order but it doesn't need to.
I'm following this advice. I have a 302 cam and use a 302 firing order.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
What year heads do you have? If you have the older small water inlet heads that might not work well with the later big inlet intake gasket. You may have to use 289 intake gaskets and pay particular attention to those ports with a little extra RTV.
Great question! I'm not sure what year the heads are. I've ordered another set of gaskets and when I get it all torn apart I'll snap some pics of the new gaskets sitting dry to see how they all line up.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I made four studs from threaded rod about 4" long the same size as the intake bolts. Then you can place your gaskets, put on your rtv beads, The studs guide the intake dead straight into position. When they shift is when the leaks sneak into your project.

Of course you need the right gaskets but I think that has been covered.

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Great question! I'm not sure what year the heads are. I've ordered another set of gaskets and when I get it all torn apart I'll snap some pics of the new gaskets sitting dry to see how they all line up.

Following this, as I will be in the same place in the future.
I was going to install upper after wiring and fuel plumbing, then go on to rad and hoses, but now I think it is a good Idea to do wiring, fuel and rad and hoses before the upper and check for leaks, anybody gone this route just to be safe?

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Following this, as I will be in the same place in the future.
I was going to install upper after wiring and fuel plumbing, then go on to rad and hoses, but now I think it is a good Idea to do wiring, fuel and rad and hoses before the upper and check for leaks, anybody gone this route just to be safe?
Well in hindsight, I should have filled the block & radiator immediately following installation of the lower intake. Once it was all buttoned up, filled it with coolant to make sure you don't have any leaks. Unfortunately I proceeded to finish all the wiring, fuel, vacuum, cables, belts, and installed the upper intake/filter and not I have to tear it all apart to go back and revisit the lower.

Update: the new set of gaskets just arrived. Going to be a long weekend. :(

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Save your back. I lay a 2x8 from the firewall to the grill and use it as a platform to sit on when working on the lower intake. Makes it so much more comfortable and reduces work time. I usually remove and replace lower gasket set in 3 hours.

Good luck.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Save your back. I lay a 2x8 from the firewall to the grill and use it as a platform to sit on when working on the lower intake. Makes it so much more comfortable and reduces work time. I usually remove and replace lower gasket set in 3 hours.

Good luck.
haha, great tip! My lower back has been killing me! Especially when I was doing the wiring as my harness comes through right in the center notch of the firewall - so it involved a lot of laying across the motor from the front with my legs dangling on a stool - type of approach. Not comfortable at all!

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
UPDATE:

Well, found the problem. It would appear that I've used the wrong intake manifold gaskets for the cylinder heads that are on my motor. You can see how the water port size of the gasket is much larger then the port on the head and actually hangs over the end of the head cast in the corners resulting in the water leak. Not sure how I missed this ?:?

Big question is, what heads are these (small water port)? I'm guessing 289 heads? Anybody know what gaskets will work?

4384ADCF-C934-4AC0-8A78-521FFBD8BFE3_zps7fv7akx1.jpg

88AA6B4F-71E4-4679-B2B0-91C1C5E33840_zpswpa3qcok.jpg

0192BCD0-43C6-4C56-A365-6D78924C3FC5_zpstn66dhoo.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
As many people as there are that like them you should consider selling them.
Thanks for the compliment. Problem is, I hardly have enough time to work on my own junk - yet alone make parts for others ;)

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Update:

Finally making some progress with this BS gasket issue. Here's a few shots of the difference in 302 intake gaskets. Apparently the cut-off is 1976 and older 302 heads have the smaller water port while the 77 and newer have the larger (5.0 style) water port. And yes, using the newer style gasket on the older style heads will introduce a massive water leak %)

Bigger water port TOP, smaller port BOTTOM.
44639BE2-6292-4D83-8B33-883D8BE9DD00_zpstps1p5vz.jpg

F71FD39B-1913-4EB5-B167-FE870DD96C3B_zps18r1nvpi.jpg