• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LS Motor Swap.... Has it been done?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Do what you want but dont expect to get much love on here for an LS swap. It can and has been done. But I say keep it Ford powered I am not a purist I like stock rigs, wild off road rigs and show trucks. But dont see the need or gain in doing an none Ford engine. Again its your truck do what you want. I also agree an LS or Chevy powered bronco will bring less than a Ford powered one. I have seen this in person at a few Mecum Auctions and I have personally passed on a few broncos over the years that were Chevy powered.

I really dont see the need for all this power in a bronco weather it is a LS, Coyote, or some other high horse power motor. Broncos are meant to cruise and crawl not run the drag strip or do auto cross. Have you ever driven your bronco fast?? They get pretty hairy over 75mph. Sure you can make them handle better and all that but again why? Want to go fast and handel well get a mustang, or some other sports car. Want to cruise in a classic 4x4, crawl off road, and look cooler than any Jeep get a Bronco. There certainly isnt anything wrong with the small block Fords that were put from the factory in our trucks. Mine still has the 289 from 1967 in it and it fires up every time runs 65mph on the highway and can crawl in the rocks. Sure an LS can do that too but why?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
A friend of mine has done an LS swap twice into Broncos. It's a fact that it won't bring as much as a Coyote swap but that doesn't make it a bad move. I wouldn't remove a good 302 and replace it with an LS but if I needed a new motor, an LS would definitely be a consideration.

Steve Tool

Kept my faith in Ford with the 351 Windsor, everything bolts up and its easier on the parts finding and prices,

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw some nice LS swapped Broncos bring real money on Bring a Trailer. The whole Ford V Chevy thing is funny to me as hot rods swapped these for years without this argument. I personally like the LS platform and would have no issue with it as a driver since I am not opening my hood for others to argue over it.

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
I say do whatever you would like and what will work for you.

I don't know that I can agree with those who say it doesn't impact resale. There was a Bronco local to me that was posted on CL for at least a year, Decent price and looked like most others in the price range. I think what kept it from selling was that it had a SBC in it. Maybe LS wouldn't be seen the same if it is done well.
Yea I would say if someone put a SBC in a Bronco I wouldn’t buy it either. In my opinion an LS is a different story.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Somewhere I saw someone reference the LS as a 2nd gen small block Ford. Made GM people unhappy. But the basic layout is closer to the old small block ford than it is to a small block chevy. And the early LS distributor conversions used a small block ford distributor. There was even an article a few years back where someone was putting small block ford hemi heads (aftermarket) on an LS block.

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I’ve had mine on the road for a little over a year now. Still 100% happy with the choice. If you need to measure or look it over I’m in central Houston.

Attachments

• IMG_7311.jpeg
    IMG_7311.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7226.jpeg
    IMG_7226.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 24

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well….. I made a decision. Let the beatings begin. LS3 & 6L80e transmission.

View attachment 916620
If it is done correctly, you are going to love it. I have Stroppe Baja Broncos, early original U13, RestoMod Broncos, Rock Crawler Broncos and love them all. If I had an LS swap in the mix I would be proud of that too. Enjoy

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I now need to find an adapter for the Dana20, or plan to swap that out. I’ve looked at AA and they have nothing on their website.

TBD.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I now need to find an adapter for the Dana20, or plan to swap that out. I’ve looked at AA and they have nothing on their website.

TBD.
You may have to go to an atlas, adapter to a bronco D20 is probably nonexistent, it’s different than one for a jeep. Nice combo, LS3 makes a NICE usable power from idle to the rev limiter.

Also have some lessons learned from TX SS’s install that make it easier.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Going to the effort of the ls, do NOT (IMHO) don't kill the fun of the swap by stuffing a 3 spd back in. Go with the 6 spd. I put a 6 spd behind my 460 sbf and it made it more fun than you could imagine in mulitple wheeling and cruising situations.