• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

306 build, F-cam or mustang cam?

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I have a 71 bronco I'm in the process of restoring. I currently have a 306 shortblock, balanced and blueprinted, h-beam rods, JE pistons. I plan on running a set of twisted wedge heads and a good dual plane intake, probably a holley 570 avenger (it's a street ride, no drastic offroading, maybe light towing). Question is on the camshaft.. I have a Ford F303 cam in the shortblock currently. I am trying to decide if I'd make more power, where I needed it (1000-4500 rpm or so) with the F cam straight up advanced 4 degrees or so, or run the stock HO mustang cam, straight up or advanced. Any experience?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You'd have much better low end with the HO cam. I run the HO cam 4 degrees advanced and it does a good job. Never tried it straight up so I can't make any comparisons there.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd go with a stock HO cam or a explorer cam especailly with light towing involved.. The ford alphabet cams are not well suited for a bronco. If anything the B cam would be as big as i would go in a bronco. The E and F cams just gives up way to much lowend. I know a lot of people(mustang guys) dont like the E cam as its power is to peaky

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What is a 306? I know a 302 .40 over comes out to 306 cubic inch but have never heard of it referred to as a 306. Is this the same thing?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
.02 over is a 304.6

.04 over is a 307.6

.02 over is not an easy piston to find, most likely off the shelf overbore is going to be 40 or 60.

Use the stock HO cam, you'll like it better than the alphabet cams unless you race.