• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

331 stroker motor from 1988 Mark 7 Lincoln motor?

Iwannagofast

Contributor
My motor sucked a valved today and I found a good shop who is going to do all new heads and crate engine, he mentioned I should get one with a little more power now and do a 331 stoker. its an engine from 1988 Lincoln MK7 I believe. He said for $3500 he would do a brand new crate engine completely balanced and aluminum heads in a 331 stroker installed. Sounded fair to me and he uses all really good parts, he is a friend who owns a good local shop...any recommendations? truck is an auto with 33'' tires if that matters. Thanks.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Make sure the cam is right for a Bronco and not what the Mustang guys want.

It's all about low end torque......

Tim

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a stroker, now ask your friend can he find a deal on a 351 instead of a stroker. Seriously.

Unless you know, keep it simple.

And cam for a bronco, not a 1900lb mustang

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Street or trail rig? Mine is street driven only. I installed a 331 stroked with an Eagle balanced rotating assembly (B16006LA030) during my restoration and could not be happier.

As the others stated, match the cam to a Bronco, not a Mustang. The cam in my engine is Comp Cams XE268H-10, part number 31-242-3. Comp recommended this cam for its low end torque and also told me that I would need to use a 2100 stall converter, which was no big deal to me since the transmission went in for overhaul too. Comp offers roller cams and most likely has one comparable for your engine. Just call them, the techs are very knowledgeable.

You also need to think about getting the air in and exhaust out. A good dual plane intake, headers, and performance mufflers will serve the engine well.

Whatever route you choose, stroker or 351, the upgrade will most likely bring a smile to your face as you help rid the world of liquid dinosaurs.

Last edited:

fishinman78

Contributor
I have a stroker, now ask your friend can he find a deal on a 351 instead of a stroker. Seriously.

Unless you know, keep it simple.

And cam for a bronco, not a 1900lb mustang

73azbronco are you not happy with your stroker?

I'm in the process of deciding on an engine for my 75 and I know I won't be happy with a 302. I really don't want to do a 351W as I don't want to run a body lift and want to run some sort of efi. I am leaning towards a 347.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love my motor. But I am a motor guy, know all all about the ins and outs of strokers.

I just don't think a stroker is the answer for guys just wanting simply more power. Simple power is a 351. A stroker is a camshaft, machining, parts.

I'm just warning that unless you really are sure you want one, and do it right, which means money invested, then go easy and get a 351.