• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.0 Radiator swap

grammer9

Contributor
Loc.
Vacaville
I’m looking at running the 94’ explorer radiator and have some questions on the install.
Im running a 98’ explorer motor with the broncoguy a/c compressor. 2.5“ lift with 1” body lift, 4r70w trans with aux cooler.
Broncos a family cruiser that will see light off-road use mostly street.

For the guys that have installed this radiator. Is anybody making lower rad brackets? or just getting them off the Ford Taurus and welding them to the core support. Does anyone pictures of the lower brackets they have made so I can get an idea of what I’m lookin at as far as fab goes. Also for the upper mounts, will the tabs on the 94 rad just fasten to the core support and doing away with the stock upper brackets.

This swap seem affordable being that the radiators are cheap and have the trans cooler on the right side, good warranty, and readily available. It’s hard to spend money on the (Ron Davis) when guys are having good luck with the explorer 4.0 setup. I’m not thrilled about cutting my stock lower rad mounts off but if that’s what needs to be done then so be it. Any pictures of this swap will help

Thanks

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I mounted an L shaped metal bar to the stock lower mounts. I drilled two holes in that bar for the lower radiator posts to sit in, with a rubber bushing. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
78fb57bdfbe397769998b572b8751d86.jpg
416883389bb63b2c0852ebbbc41db73f.jpg
e2f647ec2a434133a74581c96946b555.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You should have rubber bushings where the pins go through the aluminum. Without it the metal edge will wear the pins off.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Agree, however, I have a little bit of clearance, since the holes are slightly big. In 3 years, there's no evidence of any wear yet. If you can, find something to line the holes, or use a stock lower bushing for the explorer radiator.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I made my own adjustable brackets. Got the Taurus mounts everyone mentioned and mounted them to unistrut. Drilled holes in the core support and used unistrut nuts and bolts to hold the Taurus brackets on. They're adjustable up and down.

wes335

What year Taurus have the brackets everyone is using? Also, does anyone have a part number for the correct radiator?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
1994 Explorer, auto transmission, with A/C

papy

Contributor
didn't know the Taurus mounts were an option. Anyone have any pics of the Taurus mounts?