• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little help w/ gearing question

BroncoBrad

Loc.
Athens
I am in the process of a build and need advise on gearing.
I plan on running 33" tires, 3 1/2 in suspension lift, C4 tranny, Dana 20 t-case, and a re-built .302

I won't be wheeling in it much so I want the best gearing setup for on road drivability.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
33" Tires Rule of Thumb
Mostly offroad - 4:56
Mostly street - 4:11

BTW this can be a hotly contested decision. Several factors come into play on how your Bronco will be used.

rwill

Run the same setup as you with 4:11's.would not want any lower.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

For decades it has been proven to be a great gear for the street and trail when running 33s without an overdrive transmission. Stock 3-speed, C4, NP435. Gear works for them all.

Any lower and you will never see a highway ever again, unless it is sitting on a trailer or you put an overdrive in it.

EB70

Contributor
Agreed. 4.56 are too low IMHO.

4.11's are what I would run.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D:D:D I say 4:11 will work very well. I have been running this set up about 40 years and its good, Good luck with your choice.%):cool:;D Bill :D:cool::cool:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
4.11s would be my choice between those two as well. Depending on your driving, you may find the 4.11s a little low too. I went the same route and couldn't imagine taking it on a long trip on a freeway.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Freeway isn't a problem. I made the trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff (all I-17) a few times and the 4.11s worked great with the 33s.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I never hear many people mention 3.73's. Seems like that would be a good inbetween gear to consider?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
^^^^^^ 3.70, 3.75, 3.82, 3.89.......... pretty much all unheard of in EB world it seems.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
^^^^^^ 3.70, 3.75, 3.82, 3.89.......... pretty much all unheard of in EB world it seems.

I've wondered about that too. I made that same jump from 3.50 to 4.11. It had both good and bad results, depending on the vehicle use. There were times I wish I had split the difference with an intermediate gear ratio.
Fact is, with three speed C4 and manual trannies, it's going to be hard to get acceptable low gear and high gear performance too with the same set of gears. The first gear ratios are all just too high. Trying to correct it by going to lower rear gears is a good idea, but I found the 4.11s were a bit too low for my ears.
Your best bet is to go in a couple of ride-alongs and make your own selection.