• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

? abut cooling a 351 windsor

BLUE72

Can anyone tell me if they have had luck with cooling a built 351W with an Aluminium rad and electric fan? I If so which set up has worked. I am installing a EFI 351W 420 hp with an AOD and march serp set up. I am also going to add an a/c condensor so I can add AC in the future. I just bought a Hayden tranny cooler with fan that I will mount on the passenger side wheel well.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I tried most of that once. Aluminium rad, twin fans fitted tightly to the core. Not so good. It would almost stay warm. It was actually the hottest I ever saw the engine was with that setup. 235 was achievable in 20 minutes.

The cooling became so much better when I finally got a mechanical fan to draw air through a properly fitted shroud amd a copper rad. That is with a flex fan as well.

Next step is the Explorer serpentine setup with the big clutched fan and A/C. I have seen the current set up push 215 more then once, so I don't think I have enough reserve to install A/C. I am planning a custom core support to fit the largest radiator I can get to fit in there. I have 2 metal fan shrouds sitting in the garage ready to become part of the super cooling system as well. It will take work but I do plan to make a cooling system work with A/C and my 351 (aluminium head, 11:1 compression) and be able to drive it in Phoenix in the summer without having heat stroke. I don't see it happening with simple bolt in parts and never to be done with electric fans on a normal Bronco radiator.

OP
OP
B

BLUE72

Does anyone know what the max CFM for an Electric fan is and still fit in a Bronco?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I have had one of the big Taurus fans on mine. way to much for the 302 was about 3000 cfm I believe. I run dual 12" fans now in pusher mode on my 351
TOFIC

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Clutched fan and a giant radiator in a custom support is the way to go for me. Gonna get started as soon as I finish painting the house, priorities ya know.

OP
OP
B

BLUE72

I just did a search and from what I can tell it sounds like spal is the way to go. I found some info on some posts back in 05. Is anyone running the spal and has pics? What Radiator are you using with it?

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Which Spal are you looking at? CFM? I have 3.35" clearance. The Derale that Wild Horses sells is the most cfm I found that fit. I think it's 2500

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Unless you live in a cool climate electric fans just won't keep up. They just don't move as much air as a mech fan. I live in Az and have tried it, it don't work here in the summer time. Maybe somewhere with cooler and moist air but not here in the Phoenix area. My.02

OP
OP
B

BLUE72

I read a thread about someone using a dual spal fan. It was unclear about how big each fan was. My bronco is black I live in Utah where it is super dry and hot in the summer. My bronco is 80 percent street and maybe 10 offroad. Faster Dammitt what radiator are you running?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Does anyone know what the max CFM for an Electric fan is and still fit in a Bronco?

You realize the CFM ratings are complete marketing BS. What a fan can flow in open air has little in relation to what it can pull through a radiator core. I have seen fans that blow like crazy when tested on the bench. Install it on a radiator and it couldn't hold a piece of toilot paper against the core.

OP
OP
B

BLUE72

No I was not. Great, so that makes it even harder to figure out what is going to work best for me. Is it possible to cool a 351W similiar to mine with an electronic fan? I know some people do not recommend it but if so who is doing it and what setup do I need, radiator and all?

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm in AZ too and I have a flex fan in a good seal shroud. Aluminum manual radiator with an aux tranny cooler in front (PO was behind that cooler selection). I have never seen over 205 while running. I also have holes in my hood scoop, louvers in the hood and most of my inner fenders cut away. I have stock body lift.

In my opinion the best way to keep a 351W cool in a Bronco is not getting air into the engine compartment, it's getting it out. If you can keep it cool while lurching up a steep rocky trail when its 110 outside you have finished working on your cooling system. I bet I could remove my fan to run at highway speeds.

Also, when this aluminum radiator goes bad, I'm getting one of Chucks big copper ones.

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
No I was not. Great, so that makes it even harder to figure out what is going to work best for me. Is it possible to cool a 351W similiar to mine with an electronic fan? I know some people do not recommend it but if so who is doing it and what setup do I need, radiator and all?

How cool do you expect it to run? Mine runs from 190-230 depending on what I'm doing with ac on or off. It never has run consistant 190 no matter what I did.

Cowl Hood
Flowcooler pump
different size pulleys
Fixed fan w/shroud
Flex fan w/shroud
Electric puller fan
pusher fan
Four core alum ratiator
Two core " "
160, 180, 195 t-stats
Timing changes
Remote trans cooler
Rebuilt engine
aluminum heads
that purple stuff in the radiator
50/50 mix
100% water

I could do an oil cooler or accept the temp which is probably normal compared to a new car.
I also consider my temp sender is in the back of the intake close to the firewall. If I'm not mistaken that is the least flow of water since the back ports of the intake are blocked. (could be a problem)

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I'm in AZ too and I have a flex fan in a good seal shroud. Aluminum manual radiator with an aux tranny cooler in front (PO was behind that cooler selection). I have never seen over 205 while running. I also have holes in my hood scoop, louvers in the hood and most of my inner fenders cut away. I have stock body lift.

Cowl Hood
Flowcooler pump
different size pulleys
Fixed fan w/shroud
Flex fan w/shroud
Electric puller fan
pusher fan
Four core alum ratiator
Two core " "
160, 180, 195 t-stats
Timing changes
Remote trans cooler
Rebuilt engine
aluminum heads
that purple stuff in the radiator
50/50 mix
100% water

Exactly my point. No one thing is going to fix the cooling issue. Swapping to an electric fan isn't going to help. Body lift and vents in the hood to let air out to keep from pressurizing the engine compartment along with a good mech fan and clutch, a well fitted fan shroud, a big radiator but not so thick that the fan can't pull air thru it, the crossover hoses on the back of the intake and throw in an oil cooler for good measure. If that doesn't do it then you need more cooling capacity in the radiator. Just look at the size of the radiator in any newer truck with a V8, huge compared to the dinky little thing in a Bronco.
Thats my next project, fitting a big radiator in my Bronco. I'm tired of wasting money on bolt on stuff that doesn't work in the Az summer heat.
Sorry for the rant.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How cool do you expect it to run?

For me it's not just a matter of how cool I want it to run, but with only 91 octane at the pump and 11:1 compression there is a ceiling on how hot I can let it run. By about 215° there is enough heat that it just starts detonating at a steady cruise. At that point all I can do is pull what little vacuum advance I have and let it run on base timing. I don't have much advance in it and I can restart the engine as a diesel. For me I must keep the temp down. I really need under 200 so I have that 15° buffer when I need it. My plans of adding A/C are not going to help.

Now after what I learned on this engine, the last engine I built it a 9:1 compression. I run 87 through it all the time and it does just fine. As long as the coolant isn't boiling it isn't too hot.

Archangel

I am dealing with this also, I'm building a 408 neer 500hp. I've already cut out all the sheetmetal under the hood and built a tube frame out of 1.5" tube to hold the fenders and grill on. I plan on fitting the largest radiator in the space avalable, and since I moved my batteries under my passenger seat I have even more room off to the passenger side. After I fit the biggest damn radiator in there I can, I am going to work with fan combos and thermostats/coolent untill ifind what will keep the beast cool.