• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Bronco project starting- updated 7-30-05 getting close

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
ME TOO ME TOO!!! :cool:
I got a chip in my eye which ended up a trip to the ER Sat. night!!! I was pissed. Slowed down my progress big time. I was cutting off and grinding down those crappy add-on shock tabs - the ones that go on the radius arm caps, in front of the axle...
Then my eye blew up. Metal chip caught under my eyelid. Everytime I'd blink it would hurt like a mutha...
hospital plucked it out in 2 seconds....
cheers...

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Finally got epoxy primer on the front end to dry and started seam sealing everything in sight. Wheel tubs sealed to inner fenders top and bottom. Underside of cowl is all sealed up. All of the floors are next. I am really going to scrub everything good with lacquer thinner this time to try and get the stripper residue off. You may even see engine compartment painted before the week is out. :)

Attachments

• left wheel tub and firewall.jpg
    left wheel tub and firewall.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 176
  • under cowl from left.jpg
    under cowl from left.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 192
OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
tejayandtina said:
I'm so excited and it's not even mine! What type seam sealer you using?

I'm using FUSOR brand on this one. Pretty good product. I have used some of their other products in the past ( plastic repair ) and had really good luck with it. Our NAPA warehouse is carrying it now. When I do the top of the cowl I'm going to use SEM self leveling because it flows out and looks JUST LIKE what the factory put on there. It is also a lot soupier so it runs right in between the panels. I'll post a picture close up of it so you can see what I'm talking about.

tejayandtina

2badrotties said:
... I'm going to use SEM self leveling because it flows out and looks JUST LIKE what the factory put on there. It is also a lot soupier so it runs right in between the panels. I'll post a picture close up of it so you can see what I'm talking about.
That would probably be good for the drip rail on the hard top too, no?

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
tejayandtina said:
That would probably be good for the drip rail on the hard top too, no?

yes, the SEM stuff works extremely good in the drip rails. I flows itself out nice and smooth, dries pretty quick because it is two part stuff.

taxx- they only look clean for a little while or your not having fun with it. :)

NYBronco

Loc.
Hartford, CT
My Bronco-

Andy-
As usual you never fail to do an awesome job. Everything looks awesome. I am going to send you the color code first thing in the morning. I left the book on my desk so I will do it as soon as I get to the office. Hopefully before you head to work.

Thanks again for the great work-

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Wow Andy!

You are the man! Now you have me really really wanting to get another rig for a project.......(don't tell my wife I said that!)

Bill

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
2badrotties said:
yes, the SEM stuff works extremely good in the drip rails. I flows itself out nice and smooth, dries pretty quick because it is two part stuff.

taxx- they only look clean for a little while or your not having fun with it. :)

no I just meant straight and all nice welds......

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Just updating with picture of the SEM self leveling seam sealer on top of cowl. It kinda runs just a little so it looks like the stuff the factory puts on top of there. This stuff is great. It will run into the smallest seam or crack and it dries up great because it is a two part mix. 15 minutes it is dry :)

Attachments

• sem on top of cowl.jpg
    sem on top of cowl.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 226
OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Update 3-17-05 a little painting

Did a little painting today :) . The underside of the wheel tubs and the outside of the inner fenders will be black bed liner tomorrow. If you don't see a lot of paint on those areas , that is why. Pictures are really bad but I'll get some outside on Saturday.

Attachments

• under hood from left.jpg
    under hood from left.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 151
  • front end painted.jpg
    front end painted.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 109
  • green top of cowl.jpg
    green top of cowl.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 156

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
2badrotties said:
Just updating with picture of the SEM self leveling seam sealer on top of cowl. It kinda runs just a little so it looks like the stuff the factory puts on top of there. This stuff is great. It will run into the smallest seam or crack and it dries up great because it is a two part mix. 15 minutes it is dry :)
2bad - you da man!
Do you have a Napa part number for that SEM sealer?
That stuff looks like it is the shiznit!
Compare it to the Fusor, why some places one and others SEM?

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Mark Troy said:
2bad - you da man!
Do you have a Napa part number for that SEM sealer?
That stuff looks like it is the shiznit!
Compare it to the Fusor, why some places one and others SEM?

The SEM seam sealer you will have to get at a regular autobody supply store. SEM makes some awesome products from seam sealer to metal bonding adhesive to bedliner and it is all real quality stuff. You can check www.semproducts.com to see what they have available.

As for using one type in some places and something else in other places -

All of the urethane seam sealers are pretty good stuff and i use it on just about everything. The SEM stuff is a little harder when it dries and it is soupy enough to run into just about any type of seam or crack. The cowl is the last place you want a leak and it is one of the first areas people seem to look at when looking for rust. When people see the nice neat job , it just looks like a higher quality job than something brushed on. It may not matter but maybe it does. Also , the sem stuff is a lot more money and working time is short. If doing a LOT of seams it is a little hard because it dries fast. The urethane seam sealer gives you a little more time to work with it. EXAMPLE - the wheel tubs to inner fenders. I run a little bead in that crack and then go over it with my finger to smooth it right into the crack. That would be hard with the sem stuff. Also, some places will flex or move around a little and the urethane will flex with it. The cowl isn't going to flex or move around so something a little more rigid is okay. BOTH are good and either can be used for just about anything. :)

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
andy, how do you not wipe out your garage with overspray when spraying? are you using a HVLP gun?
what color are you shooting?
project looks great. i can't wait to see what we can get inot together once you get down here ;)
nick

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
2bad, I used this seam sealer about 5 years ago. I liked it....except for the voids I made :( ;D

back then, you needed their special gun......still true??

Nice work......looks great. You make me want to get started on my '89.

Attachments

• SEM.JPG
    SEM.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
j.r.nice said:
2bad, I used this seam sealer about 5 years ago. I liked it....except for the voids I made :( ;D

back then, you needed their special gun......still true??

Still true ! If you do a lot of business with your local autobody supply store , most of the time they will give you one. If not give, at least cut you a really good deal.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
2badrotties said:
Still true ! If you do a lot of business with your local autobody supply store , most of the time they will give you one. If not give, at least cut you a really good deal.

If I remember correctly, they wanted $80 for it. I think he cut me a really good deal....like you said. But I bought a LOT of stuff from him.

OP
OP
2badrotties

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Update 3-18-05 bedliner front end

I taped everything off and sprayed some bedliner on the outside of inner fenders, underside of wheel tubs, and bottom of fire wall. I used SEM tintable bedliner and it is sprayed on.

EXCUSE the MESS but I have been really thrashing on this thing the past couple of days. It is taking a trip this weekend for a cage so the body has to go back on the frame. :) Pictures are not coming out very good, I think my camera lens is covered with overspray. ;D

Attachments

• engine compartment.jpg
    engine compartment.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 188
  • left wheel tub.jpg
    left wheel tub.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 200
  • right wheel tub.jpg
    right wheel tub.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 157

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
2badrotties said:
I taped everything off and sprayed some bedliner on the outside of inner fenders, underside of wheel tubs, and bottom of fire wall. I used SEM tintable bedliner and it is sprayed on.

EXCUSE the MESS but I have been really thrashing on this thing the past couple of days. It is taking a trip this weekend for a cage so the body has to go back on the frame. :) Pictures are not coming out very good, I think my camera lens is covered with overspray. ;D

Lookin' GREAT! :)