• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Rebuild.. What did you pay?

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
That's about what I've been getting quotes at around here.. I think for the same $600, I could do the work myself and have a bullet proof transmission..

Agreed the builder are charging $1000 just to basically upgrade people to red frictions and better steels, parts wise it's not even $100 bucks more and it's no more labor to put in better frictions. $600 DIY will at least get you red frictions, better steel, a good valve body kit and the drum cut for extra frictions.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I'm still planning on doing this, this winter..

I'm curious, is there anyway to check a transmission to see if it's toast prior to installing it?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm still planning on doing this, this winter..

I'm curious, is there anyway to check a transmission to see if it's toast prior to installing it?

You could open it up and see.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
OK, so the 3 speed is acting nuts and I have a week off coming up in a couple days, so I'm thinking about getting on this.

Anyone have suggestions as to a torque converter?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I traded skills for my c4 build. Guy at a trans shop needed the meyer e-60 rebuilt on his plow truck, so i rebuilt it and he built my trans. I was out about $120 for the pump. Pretty good deal, i think.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I'm tempted to do it myself. All the "you can do it's!" have swayed me. ;)

re6ateqe.jpg

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Quality Transmission shop here in tupelo... Most of the shops here even use this guy.

I have the C4 out. Do you think he would rebuild it and remove my manual and install the c4 for that?
Is that with all the good stuff or just stock parts?

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
Had I rebuilt back to stock but he asked if I wanted to beef it up... He might! It's not hard to swap in a c4... How far are you from tupelo?

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Just got a rebuild priced for my c4 and the guy told 165 bench work plus parts with me dropping off the tranny

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Just got a rebuild priced for my c4 and the guy told 165 bench work plus parts with me dropping off the tranny

Wow. Wish that dude was local. I'd have a C4 sitting on his bench in the AM. LOL

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Wow. Wish that dude was local. I'd have a C4 sitting on his bench in the AM. LOL

I trust the guy too. He teaches at an auto repair school.

I was at a highly recommended local transmission place that went from being the most recommended builder to the most recommended parts house for transmissions and asked him who he would recommend. His son has a small transmission build shop and he recommended this other guy over his kid lol. I told him I would get it to him in a month or so when I am closer to needing to drop it back in. I still have to find a block and build up an engine before I want to rebuild the transmission.