• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling Concerns

jawilson20

Got a new Bronco in the past few months and I am driving it a decent bit lately in the 90+ degree temps I am wondering what you might recommend I start with in troubleshooting my cooling issues. Set up is stock 302 with what appears to be a new Howle aluminum radiator, AC (but not on as I have not wanted to tax the cooling system further by running the compressor).

At highway speed we are perfectly fine and driving around town is where issues emerge. If I am in stop and go traffic the temp creeps when I am at a stop (primarily stopped at red lights for minutes plus at a time). Creeps up to top end of gauge and then down a bit as I accelerate and get airflow.

There is no fan shroud on the truck so obviously I know that is something to address. What I am also curious about is the nature of the overheating and if a thermostat change to 195 might be something to look into as well. Thinking about the jobs for each it seems easier to change out the thermostat than either removing fan or radiator in order to get a new shroud in place - and also finding a shroud that fits well.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as you know, a fan shroud will help. Next check the ignition timing because if the timing is retarded the engine will run hot.
I use the 180* thermostat.
Water Wetter or some other product like that will help lower the temperature, but you need the shroud first.
Unless you have a good aftermarket temperature gauge, all the stock gauge can tell you is cold, middle or getting too hot.
Good luck

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey jawilson, I fought similar issues a few years ago and got most of it under control. But my first suggestion is to use the search function on here as there are tons of threads related to your issue. I think you have to become a contributor to use the search function. This is a good one.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246264&highlight=blade+fan

The two biggest things that helped me was installing a good and "properly fitted" fan shroud and making sure to have the right mechanical fan. I believe the stock 5 blade is the best. Others will chime in with better feedback. Good luck

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My suggestion is to get a mechanical gauge and verify how hot is hot. Those old gauges can be off and or not work correctly.

My rig is EFI with 195 stat and it runs 210 on the hottest of summer days. It might creep up 5 degrees while in stop and go traffic......Aluminum radiator and 17 inch electric fan that kicks on/off with temp and has two speeds.

Bronco's seem to be very sensitive to air flow. Lots of factors. You don't have a shroud and you have an A/C coil in front of the radiator. Also the radiator is not stock. Thicker is not always better. More about the tube size inside than thickness.

Also if the fan is not correct and not spaced right it will cause issues.

Got any pics of the setup?

Tim

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
cooling

I run the same setup on every bronco we build; Factory fan blade (reproduced by Toms Bronco; Factory fan blade spacer; Flowcooler water pump from Wild Horses; Original bronco radiator (recored with U.S.A. made core) very expensive. and always a shroud. Never had a cooling issue on anything we have built. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What you describe sounds exactly like a properly functioning cooling system that is missing a fan shroud. The radiator can cool, but without a shroud there isn't the airflow while stopped.

Do nothing else until there is a shroud in place. You can make more problems trying to fix non-existing problems that are caused by a known problem.

1970 Palmer

I run the same setup on every bronco we build; Factory fan blade (reproduced by Toms Bronco; Factory fan blade spacer; Flowcooler water pump from Wild Horses; Original bronco radiator (recored with U.S.A. made core) very expensive. and always a shroud. Never had a cooling issue on anything we have built. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos

X2 sounds like a well thought out basic system.

I would like to say that I had a cooling issue on a "off topic" vehicle, (a 32 Ford High Boy roadster). The problem was that I ran cool down the freeway, but the temp crept up quickly as the vehicle speed reduced.

It turned out that it had a "off shore made" polished aluminum water pump. The impeller was not even close to the casting body. It had no flow at idle. I installed a Flow Cooler water pump, and the coolant flow was night and day different. The low speed cooling problem was eliminated. The Flow Cooler brand pumps are not inexpensive, BUT they do work! I like the original factory five blade fan, but when I worked for a Ford dealer in Arizona during the 1960's they always upgraded to a factory seven blade fan when the did a dealer installed air conditioning kit.

As Mark said, use the good parts, not always the cheapest part, and your cooling problems will go away.

John

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Jawilson20, the 302 and factory “super cooling” package has no problem cooling, even with added A/C. I’d suggest mimicking that. BTW, a good fitting shroud doesn’t just help, it’s necessary.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Correct, remove the fan. Drop the shroud and fan in together. Reinstall fan. Attach shroud.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
On top of all these excellent suggestions another question is do you have a body lift ?
As mentioned the engine compartment of your Bronco is a " closed box " if air can't flow through it the radiator won't have sufficient air flowing through it either . Compound that with your engine continually generating heat and things will definitely get warm .
A 1" body lift helps with the air flow/more clearance between the engine the exhaust and underhood components { every EB deserves a 1" body lift }
I had heating issues with my Cleveland for a couple of years after i bought it . Everything mentioned above helped - as Paul mentioned - I did one at a time - but in my case the key was the proper thermostat . Not just the temp { both my broncos run better with 192/195 T Stats } but Clevelands take a specific t stat or there isn't proper coolant flow through the engine -- all this to say ; check everyhing having to do with coolant flow through your engine and the radiator .