• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Curious about new ICON-like Bronco for sale..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
EFI can always be added, but half ass body work and overall craftsmanship tends to stay forever.

Agreed, I tried to emphasis that in my post, that most of the money is spent in the body and this one looks pretty good in that department. And I agree with you that EFI is a bolt on accessorize like a bumper. My point was for me personally at that price range I expect a truck to be fully accessorized and corners to not be cut on those accessories. For the tire size that carrier is a cut corner, is it egregious? no but it is a cut corner, does the body work make up for it, I believe in this case it does, but I still personally think at the price the truck should be fully accessorized (I should not have to change the truck) and corners should not be cut on those accessories. They don't have to be top of the line but they should be there and they should be done right.

With all that said I 100% agree with you, paint and body work is more important you cannot bolt on paint work, if you have to make a choice between the two get a truck that needs mechanics or accessories fixed, as body work is an art that not everyone can do, and the ones that can do it charge accordingly.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Tim, I certainly wouldn't call you crazy, and would love to see some photos of your build. I've looked at their website and their work and they do some really nice stuff!

I think you made a good decision to spend your money wisely. Some of the folks on the board can get a little funny with money IMO... it costs a lot to build these things properly in materials alone, so if you need to pay skilled labor to do the work for you it is going to cost you! Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather pay top dollar and get a premium product from a legitimate well respected business than try to save a few bucks and gamble with a lesser-known entity.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
would be hard pressed to do a complete restoration in 2-3 weeks without cutting corners (at any price).

Not to mention with the size of their operation and the quality of their website, I don't think they have the sales and marketing operation to move a truck every 2-3 weeks unless they where back-ordered before they started. Not knocking them they seem like they are doing at least half way decent work, but they look like a shop just starting out and not one that is fully established, that does not affect their quality but it does affect their ability to develop a sales chain where they can move a vehicle ever 2-3 weeks. I think a better guess is that they are moving 6-8 of these a year.

BRONCOBERT

Chicken...i went thru the same process you are currently contemplating.. i ended up having a group build one for me...too long for email...if you care to discuss, let me know..i did a little homework on urbangear but not enough to get comfortable (that's more of a reflection on me, not them)...i went with TheBroncoRanch.com i still haven't put pics of the process or the final build on classicbronco.com but i tend to be lazy. most the guys on this site would call me nuts for spending the amount of $$$ i spent on the build but i'm happy with the result. i also have a buddy right up the road from you looking for a bronco (he's in Hillsborough).

As long as you got what you paid for and were treated fairly and not ripped off you are doing fine.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
You have to be happy with your purchase. Nevermind my opinion, because at the end of the day, everyone has an opinion. If you are happy with it, then go for it.

Best of luck!

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Good looking vehicle, but what concerns me was the rear suspension? I saw some hokey looking strap shackle things in one picture. I would like to see warranty on engine and actual specs. Not sure how the hone and bore a block to OE specs and why would you build a motor back to OE 70's specs when you could easily update to 300hp w/a off the shelf crate motor. Track bar and drag link look pretty steep also and I didn't really see anything cleaned up special about the chassis? If you look at the Photo Gallery you will notice those are 2 different Broncos. Gauge and headlights are different in some of the pictures. Just making sure everyone caught that. I would think if you paid 35-40k for a retro-mod it should need nothing to be a daily driver. In Broncoland a 15-20k Bronco could easily need some work mechanically. The body should be good. 3-10k I think would need mechanical and body. This is just my opinion and I know everyone has one.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
45k and you don't even get EFI?

Like I said in my previous post, this seems to be a common mantra on here? %)

Seriously people, there is a LOT more that I would prioritize than JUST EFI. I have seen many rigs with some hack EFI or less desirable speed density installs, but they had it, so I guess that would check off the box and satisfy a lot of people and thus justify the price?

How about how the body was prepped and repaired before any new paint was applied, or how solid it was to start with before that? I find it funny when guys have extensive lists of just about every available panel that has been replaced and all the time it took to do it, seems to me they should have started with a better vehicle and saved themselves some time and everyone a lot of money.

How about how extensively it has been gone through (or was it just a lift, quick paint and slap on some nice tires and wheels (and EFI of course ;D)?

Were all the brake components, ball joints, U-joints, bearings, seals, etc. replaced? Was the engine, t-case or trans rebuilt? Does it have new glass, rubber and felts all around?

I did not really look at the Bronco in the OP and am not familiar with it or the builder, so I am not going comment on the value of that specific Bronco , but I do know that when doing a nut and bolt frame off, dropping $30-$50K just in parts and supplies alone is not too hard, and that may or may not include EFI, so I find it kind of funny how some set arbitrary numbers based on one feature alone.

How about AC, Atlas T-case, 31/35 spline rear alloy shafts, hydroboost, 1 ton axles, etc. At what price is not having each of these a automatic deal killer?

I'd take a fresh, nicely built 302 or 351W over a tired junkyard 5.0 that was dropped in any day.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I must be overpaying for my parts. I have $14k ($5k Bronco, $9k parts) into mine and I'm not even close to starting bodywork and I'm still running a carb. That doesn't even count the endless trips to the parts store for random nuts, bolts, brakes.... I'm sure I'll have another $6-$10k into it before I begin the bodywork. Parts add up quick

EBE

(Note: apologies if anyone has posted about My only hesitation is the price point... the owner has quoted me on $39-45k depending on options. That seems like a HECK of a lot of money for a custom build, even if everything in the car is brand-spanking new.

I agree, at that price I would definitely need EFI. :eek:

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
I must be overpaying for my parts. I have $14k ($5k Bronco, $9k parts) into mine and I'm not even close to starting bodywork and I'm still running a carb. That doesn't even count the endless trips to the parts store for random nuts, bolts, brakes.... I'm sure I'll have another $6-$10k into it before I begin the bodywork. Parts add up quick

Yeah me too

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Observations on this thread and some experience shared: the op stated he was looking for a dd......many have jumped on the efi deal for the "price".... I have three rigs with Ford based sefi. One is a stock '95 5.0, second is a 392 which had to be "tuned" to run correctly. Ditto for the one with a 331. The above three were either originally off road specific or currently used off road.
I have one '74 bronco which was restored one year after the 392 rig was built. It has a 306 with windsor heads, 268 comp cam, and 1.6 rr's. Induction is through an edelbrock performer intake and a Holley street avenger 570 4bl. It is a true street ride- cut when I bought it so I lifted it 3.5, duff's arms and dual shocks and put 35's on it for the "look"-NO off road. Of ALL my rigs it is the one I would jump in for a 110 mile street ride (then I would have to look for fuel!!-stock size replacement tank). I have had zero problems with it except needing a new radiator last year which was to be expected. A good carb is not all bad, and yes the old commercials for the street avenger carb were true. We just "set the idle" and the carb has not been touched.
To Drew's body work comment. When we built the 392 rig we did not seal the back side of the tub where the lower meets the upper seam. It got moisture in the seam from washing the mud off too many times and started to rust a couple years ago. Finally, last year, I got tired of looking at the growing bubbles and had it redone from the door openings back-it was sealed front and back this time. The guy who did it also did my '74 ten years ago. NO paint or rust issues.
Add another vote for body work/prep over efi!!!!

Last but not least-it is a buyers market if you have the $$- parts prices are really up-reference a D44 with all the good stuff in it (chromo shafts, 300M joints, r&p, bearings, seals, new brakes etc.) cost me as much last spring to build as we did a D60 for in '07.
A friend of mine bought an over the top buggy this spring for a screaming deal-less than the parts bill for it-I am sure if a person was patient and had the ready-cash to make an offer, they could find a similar deal on a street oriented rig.
To the op-good luck with your search and be patient!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now here's your Bronco ChickenB.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967...0585384?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c81c9e28

Don't know if it will bid up of course, but even at the sell-now price it seems to be right in there with today's builds. Only with more to show for your purchase price.
This one I know well. Delivered parts for it, got to be involved with the evolution when parts and needs changed, watched it go together, and enjoyed just drooling on it.

Sorry if it leaves the area, but at least this won't be one of those that has the new owner trying to figure out what to fix next. This is one clean and tidy (and complete) Bronco.
Owner's been using it as a DD for a couple of months now. I'm sure his kids will miss it!

Still crazy pricing these days, but at least this one's got it all going on.
Hmm, now that I've had time to think about it, are we not supposed to post a link to a sale here in an existing discussion? Seems like the perfect place to do it, but if that's against the rules, let me know Jon and I'll delete the link.

Paul

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Chicken, if you're gonna be out East in June, you need to go to the MEB Round-Up in Gore, VA ( ain't far from MD). You will meet some of the nicest EB owners and get to see about every kind of EB available, they will take you trail riding or street riding, feed you well and some will probably be your neighbors when you relocate!!! Sometimes Nick's Trix brings one of his builds!! Oh yeah, they have a super raffle!!!!;D;D;D

Good luck with your quest!!!

ganktime

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I bought my Bronco for $9k and would need to spend about $25k to get it that nice by professionals (not myself). I would value it at ~$36k if you love it and have it inspected by an expert.

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
If I was gonna buy instead of build, the EFI would be on my mind, at that price.
But most importantly, from what I see in extras there, for 45K, that body integrity (rust) and the paint job had better be close to perfect.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I really depends on your standards/expectations. Like all business transactions, buying/building a bronco (or any classic) is about managing expectations.

For my LUBR, I expect to have flawless paint (cha-ching!), good power but not a hot rod, capable and upgraded suspension/drivetrain/running gear, a interior I don't want anything spilled in (more cha-ching), every nut and bolt replaced or refurbished and all of it detailed/painted/powder coated. My expectations are a bronco that has better than new car quality, able to cruise comfortably and eventually be used off road. To achieve this I will have spent more than $40-$50k (I've stopped counting once my paint went over 15k because I wanted it PERFECT, which of course it still isn't) not including my time and labor. I also tend to sweat the details. Even though it will be totally new/rebuilt from top to bottom, it's still a classic car and will have some issues from time to time (all classics are a pain in the ass). My goal is to minimize my headaches by building it right the first time. To have my Bronco built without my labor/time would probably have cost $65-80k. (and yes it has EFI;))

My '69 beater is just that, so my expectations are very different. New wheels/tires, a small sound system, tune-up, detail and maybe some new seats and it'll be good to go for less than $10k, including the purchase price. I expect to have more headaches with this one.

This being said, the bronco you asked about seems to fall somewhere in the middle. It's not flawless, every nut and bolt hasn't been replaced, and looks decent (the paint quality is not great to me). Is it worth $40k? If it meets your expectations then yes, but I wouldn't be satisfied with the quality of that build for that amount of money.

If you're like me and expect high quality and minimal headaches then spend the money and have one built. It's cheaper to buy one already done, but having it built is the only way you can assure you'll get exactly what you expected.

BTW, everyone's idea of quality is different (as you can tell from all the responses), so if you have one built make sure you and the builder are on the same page. You'll get a lot of guys on here flaming people for spending this kind of cash on a Bronco, but quality costs. I have plenty of friends who have deep 5 and 6 figures into their classic camaros, vettes, mustangs, low riders, street rods and all other types of cars. Broncos need love too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.