• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DD/Trail pony Early Bronco build **Cobra EFI it LIVES**

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
This one's for you Super Dave!

Putting in a motor by myself on a steep downhill driveway is not something I want to do again! At least my laziness paid off this time and I was able to ratchet strap the trans to the roll cage and raise it up and down through the massive hole cut in the tunnel to clear the NP435.

Attachments

• IMAG0504 (1).jpg
    IMAG0504 (1).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
In other news I shipped the shocks yesterday which could be a down to the wire thing. Bilstein says 2 weeks and the shocks will not get there till Monday. I don't really need them to go but right now it's a pretty bouncy ride and my travel is really limited. My distributor will be here tomorrow evening so my plans for today are to finish the rewire for fan and fuel as well as get the new motor buttoned up and filled with fluids. My dumb ass forgot to plug the smog ports on the back of the heads do I have to do that now with the motor in there. I also need to swap the valve covers around so the oil fill does not interfere with the throttle linkage.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Putting in a motor by myself on a steep downhill driveway is not something I want to do again!

Careful now brother. Glad you got it in there without damaging yourself. Woohoo..

if I was closer, would offer my assistance..

In other news I shipped the shocks yesterday which could be a down to the wire thing. Bilstein says 2 weeks and the shocks will not get there till Monday.

Fingers crossed... :)

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Picking up another pump and Alt tonight.

I am also going to drop in the distributor. I am pretty nervous because I cannot remember how to time it or what the firing order is.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I've been fighting this motor for 3 days now, I'm going to take a brake and eat some food now. If it does not start today you can expect to see it in the classifieds.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
IT RUNS! well sorta %) I need to get a custom PS high pres hose made to go from the Cobra PS pump to my 4x4x2 box. I have fluid everywhere... The fitting on the pump end which I used for my saginaw pump fits the mustang pump but is too shallow to make a seal.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Ok so this has not been an easy swap to say the least. I had no problem bolting it in which makes sence although it was a bit tight between the AC compressor and the PS gear box. That is where the easy part ends, I had purchased a skip white cheapo dizzy which needed to be shaved along with my intake for both to clear each other. Not to mention that for some unknown reason I had a hell of a time getting that dizzy to fit on the oil pump shaft. It killed 3 hours making that dizzy fit and go in with the correct timing. Also 95 Cobra mustangs came with Elec fans, no prob just bolt my flex fan on right? wrong. The bolt pattern is larger on the cobra water pump... I had to buy a 91 van clutch fan setup after comparing it with the WP pulley at the parts store to pick a winner. Even still after that I had to bore out the mounting flange for the fan clutch to have it fit on the water pump. Routing the Serp belt was another mess. It was pretty hard getting it tight and having everything spinning in the right direction and because of that I had to get real creative in the water neck area. I added a "T" to facilitate the oil cooler and I had to add some bends to make it all work around the belt. I'm happy with how it turned out but as with all things I make it was put to gether from random stuff at the house. The pipe is some old 2 inch welded seam pipe .095 wall I think and the T is made from a closet rod in my house, no I'm not joking. Just when I got it running I found out that my PS high pres hose hase too shallow of a fitting on the pump end and was spraying fluid all over the place. I'm going to a local shop tonight to have a new one made.

I'll add pics later and maybe a video of it running.

still need:

fuel pump wired

fans wired

dipstick.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
damn your luck sounds about like mine. hope you get it fixed soon

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
sometime early wednesday, the rest can't get off work until thursday

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Try getting one custom made because Lokar didn't have the correct tube length to reach into the pan and seal.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I start to get overwhelmed but at this point I am really only sweating the fact that I don't have a way to haul a spare tire on the trail.

What motor do you have that push in won't work?