• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DD/Trail pony Early Bronco build **Cobra EFI it LIVES**

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well crap man... Not sure how close you are to Tulsa area, but maybe give Gordon a call, bet he could hook you up on where to go for that high pressure hose..

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Well crap man... Not sure how close you are to Tulsa area, but maybe give Gordon a call, bet he could hook you up on where to go for that high pressure hose..

I'm a long way away from tulsa, I'm about 30 min or less from Texas. I will give one shop a call and see if they can splice the two hoses this morning, otherwise I am considering going to a saginaw style pump.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Right on man, Good luck... I'm sure you'll work out something...

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I found the majority of the rough and rich running issue. The choke plate was stuck closed. It normally has a little vacuum actuator that opens it after it starts but it's not working now. I'm going to remove the choke plate for now since I normally start it with the accelerator pump and high idle.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
It's alive! and running smooth as glass! I guess a 300 dollar dizzy was the answer... I'll post a video later, I've got a hot date tonight.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Engine is still running pretty good, I won't really know until I get it out on the road. Current problem, bleeding the air out of the ps pump. When the engine is running it groans and such but when I turn it off it shoots foam out of the res. Not sure if this is a problem or if I just have a lot of air in the system. Truck is jacked up and tires off the ground.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
After I shut it off I am getting a lot of fluid coming out of the top yet when it is running it has a pretty low level of fluid in it.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
You've got air in the system! Jack the front up off the ground, take res cap off & turn the tires SLOWLY lock to lock about 50 times pausing 1 sec at each stop with the engine OFF! Periodically check the fluid level and top off as necessary. When done you should have a consistent level with no bubbles. Lower the rig back down, start her up & test it.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
You've got air in the system! Jack the front up off the ground, take res cap off & turn the tires SLOWLY lock to lock about 50 times pausing 1 sec at each stop with the engine OFF! Periodically check the fluid level and top off as necessary. When done you should have a consistent level with no bubbles. Lower the rig back down, start her up & test it.

I knew it had to be a crap ton of air since it seemed to go down significantly when the pump kicked on. I guess I was in disbelief that there could be that much air.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I am at a loss here. I cannot get all the air out no matter how hard I try. The system is a stock 95 cobra PS pump into the box then into a 6 pass cooler and back into the pump. Also seems to have a stable idle now so that's a plus I have all the fluids topped off and it would be ready to go if I could just get the air out.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
How do you have your cooler mounted and hoses routed into/ out of it? Return hose from box should attach to bottom of cooler and push the fluid up through it and out the top. If you've got the box attached to the top of the cooler and it flows down it can trap air in there.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I'd rotate the cooler 90* & have the return line feeding into the bottom & push the fluid up through the cooler & out the top OR 180* & have both inlet/ outlets on the bottom. Good tech on PSC site about cooler mounting & plumbing.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I'm going to take the cooler out to trouble shoot and see if that is where the air is.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
So far just turning the wheel is not cutting it. Running it is obviously going to only produce a nice foamy mess under the hood. I added a steering knob to make this easier but so far the best method I can come up with is disconnecting the coil and cranking the motor over as I turn the wheel. It's turning the pump slow enough to not make a mess and the fluid seems to be going where it needs to be since I occasionally need to add fluid.

After I get this done to a point I feel good about I will do it several more times real slow not turning the pump.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
For what it's worth and my 2 cents only, but I started pre filling all the lines and cooler from the bottom up to sagi pump. It helped reduce the amount of air pockets getting trapped. It worked for me and may help you out.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
For what it's worth and my 2 cents only, but I started pre filling all the lines and cooler from the bottom up to sagi pump. It helped reduce the amount of air pockets getting trapped. It worked for me and may help you out.

How did you get the fluid through there?