• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI wiring help-Painless 60510 harness

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Hopefully a wiring expert can help me with my dumb question. I installed a 1990 5.0 along with the Painless 60510 EFI harness. I have just a few wires that connect to the old dash(ignition/hot wire, etc) with no problem.

My question is when I removed my old wires to the coil/water/oil and the voltage regulator, I can't remember which wires actually needed to stay so that when I hook the battery back up I have power to the ignition and fuse box. I'm assuming the wire I need is on the passenger side and maybe grouped in with the old voltage regulator?

Thanks for any help!

John

OP
OP
jhughes4

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I think I found it, am I correct to hook this fuseable link to the solenoid?

Attachments

• IMG_9598.jpg
    IMG_9598.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 60

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think I found it, am I correct to hook this fuseable link to the solenoid?

Yes, to the battery side. The blue-red wire goes to the "S" terminal. You may not need the brown wire depending on your ignition switch operation. If you do it goes to the "I" terminal.

OP
OP
jhughes4

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
So,I hooked up the fuseable link to the battery side and the blue-red wire to the solenoid. I am not getting any power at all under the dash. Not sure what I'm missing or are there other wires to the battery? I have the engine, frame and body with all new ground straps

OP
OP
jhughes4

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Here is another update, I connected the green-red wire to the new 3g alternator and the black-yellow wire also to the battery side of the alternator and this activated my marker lights, but not headlights. There is a 3rd wire that was in this plug, it is yellow. Does it also need to be hook to the battery side of the solenoid?

Here is the picture of the plug:

Attachments

• IMG_9587.jpg
    IMG_9587.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 16

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here is another update, I connected the green-red wire to the new 3g alternator and the black-yellow wire also to the battery side of the alternator and this activated my marker lights, but not headlights. There is a 3rd wire that was in this plug, it is yellow. Does it also need to be hook to the battery side of the solenoid?

Here is the picture of the plug:

That yellow wire (old alternator harness plug I assume) should have gone to the old voltage regulator. You don't need it with a 3g.

You need to use a voltmeter and see where voltage is and isn't. Key locations are fuses with key on and ignition switch yellow wire.

OP
OP
jhughes4

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

I hooked up the 3G alternator pigtail to the 3rd wire in that former alternator harness plug, it's green/red stripe. Is that the correct wire?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

I hooked up the 3G alternator pigtail to the 3rd wire in that former alternator harness plug, it's green/red stripe. Is that the correct wire?

That is correct.

OP
OP
jhughes4

jhughes4

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks again for the help Viper, I was able to narrow it to the fuseable link. I had a short in it, so it's replace and power is restored!