• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer swap questions

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

I am getting close.

so with a zf5 i had to buy the extended speedo cable which is 82" long. its a bit long. but now i have to get a new cable for the VSS. is my only OTS option the Toms cable? not sure if the 75" will do it. anyone have this setup? need the 5/8-18 on one end and push in on the other. i didnt see any like this. might have to go custom.

still trying to determine what hoses to use for the lower radiator tube. have 2"BL and stock radiator.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

is there a oil and temp sensor that works with the stock gauges and still uses the explorer connectors? if i use the stock oil sensor, how do i get it to fit? the front dress apears to be in the way of using the extension.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, as far as I know there is no compatibility between them.
If it’s the correct connector, it’s got the incorrect ohm range for your gauges. And vice versa.
So you have to run a sensor for the computer and a sensor for the gauge.

I suppose you could also add an adapter to change the ohm range to make the new sensors work with both. But I’ve never done that.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

yea.. I just like the sealed connectors to ensure a good connection for long time. will get these swapped. just caught me off gaurd when i finally got it started and oil pressure went off the scale. all i read was this wire goes to the oil gauge.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
is there a oil and temp sensor that works with the stock gauges and still uses the explorer connectors? if i use the stock oil sensor, how do i get it to fit? the front dress apears to be in the way of using the extension.
For oil pressure and water temp gauges ignore the Explorer connectors. In fact you can use the part of the stock harness. If the OEM transducers are still working, just be sure they are still wired to the OEM gauges and all will be well. My 53 year old oil pressure and water temperature sensors are miraculously still working just fine. The ECU is interested in coolant temperature but it obtains that information from the transducer located in the heater tube.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yea.. I just like the sealed connectors to ensure a good connection for long time.
For sure. New designs are much better at that kind of thing.
will get these swapped.
As Lars was saying, the oil pressure is still going to be the old one for use with the gauges. So you're good there and the connector is not that bad even with the old style it stays pretty clean. Just gets loose over time.
The water temp for the gauge also still needs to be the old style, but the water temp for the ECM needs to be from the Explorer.
Luckily there are sometimes multiple locations you can take the readings from. Are you using the Explorer metal heater tubes, or something else?
We were discussing recently the issues with that location as well. Depending on which tubes you're using, or if you're running a distributor (for non Explorer) or coil packs (for Explorer), there is not always a convenient spot for installing the temp sensor for the ECM.

Is your setup full Exploder?

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Bronco sending units, there is an early and late temp gauge sender, I forget the cut off on the years.
Oil pressure you have to use the extension tube and rotate the sending unit down some away from the bracket, but clear of the exhaust manifold.
Be careful on screwing in the temp sender into the Explorer lower intake plenum... Aluminum will crack if you crank it down too far.

ECT sensor is another topic, but not certain with your question that you wanted to go there?

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

this is from a 98 explorer. i was able to swap one of the sensors (with the red/white wire) to the old one for the temp. thats what i was looking for on the oil sensor if that old extension would work with the front dress. i got them both installed and looks like oil pressure is working now. didnt run long enough to get temp up yet. i still have the tubes for the heater but that is not hooked up yet. just looped tubes together.
soon as i get the throttle cable to the pedal worked out i can get it on the road.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Isn’t there actually an oil pressure sensor component to the explorer as well? Wouldn’t that be what tells the computer to shut the fuel off if there’s a loss of oil pressure?
Or did they devise a different way of determining those situations?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
No oil pressure safety switch Paul...
Some did have an oil level switch in the pan, but that only set off an idiot light in the cluster, at least that is what I remember....

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
So I'm almost at the point that I need to figure out the coolant temperature sensors also. I've got the oil pressure handled with a T-fitting.
I'm not going to run the Explorer metal heater lines with my Vintage Air conversion. Explorer has two ports in the lower intake manifold, one for a temp sensor and one for the heater hose nipple. It sounds like I need to figure out how to run an Explorer temp sensor.
I've relocated my coil packs so there is enough room at the front of the lower intake.
Ideas? Pictures?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
There are 90* fittings that have a 3/8" port available for the ECT. That way you can have the other port for the Gauge temp sensor.

Wild Horses has an engine on a stand with said fitting, but no one seems to know where it came from or the application for it. I want to say there was a thread about this years ago, but I guess it would take some digging...

Maybe you can use this with a standard 90* fitting in the intake manifold?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DCNGII/?tag=cbama-20

Last edited:

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
That is a very interesting piece! Guess I'll spend some time with a parts catalog from Hayden, Evercool or one of the other manufactures. Thanks for the suggestion.