• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas smell in garage

bannind

So I put a new aero tank on the rig with sniper fuel injection. I now have a persistent gas smell in the garage that requires me to leave the door cracked open. The sniper unit is actually working well and starts up immediately, leading me to believe that there is pressure in the supply line and I have no leak there.

I installed the tank with the epoxy on the fuel pump per the instructions from aero tank and believe I have everything tightened as expected. Even after the rig sits for a few days, when I remove the gas cap there is the sound of pressure being relieved. That leads me to believe that everything is tightened and sealed correctly between the tank, fuel pump, return line and fill connections.

Is there any way I could be getting the smell from the Holley sniper setup on the engine? I have a crappy air cleaner, not sure if that is playing into the mix. Just looking for suggestions before I drop the tank and run all new lines.

Setup - Aerotank with explorer pump, holler efi lines with external hp filter.

Thanks,
Dan

Hinmaton

The return line builds pressure in the tank. I had the same problem with mine. I ran a 1/4” breather line up into the fender. That or drill a small hole in your gas cap.
Or up into a charcoal canister if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm planning a charcoal canister when I do EFI. That is my planned fix. Date to be done, aiming by the end of the year.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I put a new aero tank on the rig with sniper fuel injection. I now have a persistent gas smell in the garage...

Do you have vents on the tank, or is it ventless? What year is your Bronco?
Do you have an open-element air cleaner? Even with TBI you can still get the smell out of the engine that way. Though a carburetor would be much worse.

I installed the tank with the epoxy on the fuel pump per the instructions from aero tank and believe I have everything tightened as expected.

Hmm, never seen that part of the instructions. Do they have them online, or do you have a copy? I don't think I got instructions with mine!

Even after the rig sits for a few days, when I remove the gas cap there is the sound of pressure being relieved. That leads me to believe that everything is tightened and sealed correctly between the tank, fuel pump, return line and fill connections.

Tight, yes. But "correctly"? Nope.
All tanks (as they learned eventually) need to breathe. This meant that early models (on Broncos, it was mid-'70 and prior) the gas cap was vented (both ways) to keep pressure from building up and letting air in to replace the gas used. But this lead to lots of gas fumes where you didn't want them. Especially in the summer and after a fill up.
About that time was when our EB's got the charcoal canister and venting system with more sealed caps.

Is there any way I could be getting the smell from the Holley sniper setup on the engine? I have a crappy air cleaner, not sure if that is playing into the mix.

Yep, easily. What type of filter is it? Fully open? If so you could try an experiment and seal it with some plastic when you park the next time, just to see if it will still fill the garage with smell.
Does it get worse after re-filling the tank? Maybe it's somewhere else, such as on top of the tank.

Just looking for suggestions before I drop the tank and run all new lines.

Yep, hate to see that happen. But lines do leak, and hoses get old (especially the new crap!) or a clamp can come loose or be over-pressured with the new pump. What type of fuel line did you run with the new tank?
(oops, nevermind. I see you said Holley EFI lines. Got pics?

Did you check the filter for leaks too yet?
Let us know what year your truck is, and whether you have any of the EVAP system (charcoal canister and such) on it.

Paul

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

It is a 67 but has a later model filler neck.

It currently has a port for vent, but it is blocked off. I will hit the junkyard and find a decent vapor canister to install. I will also try to find a a decent air cleaner setup.

I will take some pictures of the instructions with the epoxy notes, and attach them to this post once I find the them in the garage.

Just need to get this all resolved before my wife completely loses patience with me.

Thanks,
Dan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is a 67 but has a later model filler neck.

Ok, cool. Means that yours did not come with EVAP from the factory. Added in '70 and later.
If I was in this position I would not try to find the early style (steel can) but rather would get a mid-seventies and later upright plastic tank style.
Mount it up high, either on the firewall where Ford put them, or up inside the passenger side wheel well where it's basically out of sight and out of the way.
If your passenger side firewall is clear however, it's not actually a bad place for it.

Plumb the single vent tube to the single small fitting on the canister, leave one of the large ports open, and run some of that paper/fiber/wire reinforced "smog hose" stuff to the air cleaner housing. Does not have to be connected to the filtered-air side, and can be connected anywhere.
On the large open port of the canister, keep the "mushroom" cap that usually comes with them. It's a breather to keep debris and water out of the canister.
But remember, you're still dealing with an open filter element and can get fumes.

It currently has a port for vent, but it is blocked off.

In '76, Ford also added an anti-rollover valve that was inline (mounted to the passenger side frame rail on an EB) and that's not a bad idea to add one to yours either.
Safety first, as we used to say...

I will also try to find a a decent air cleaner setup.

Good call. Makes it much easier to work as you would like. It's just harder to find a good one.
If you happen to see a '85(?) Mustang, they have a nice dual-snorkel clean looking filter setup. Seems to be fairly low profile too. Check those out if you find one and get some measurements.

Paul

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
OP, Here's what I used for the hose and the roll over check valve.

Plumb the single vent tube to the single small fitting on the canister, leave one of the large ports open, and run some of that paper/fiber/wire reinforced "smog hose" stuff to the air cleaner housing.
Gates #28092 3/4"x36" Emissions hose

In '76, Ford also added an anti-rollover valve that was inline (mounted to the passenger side frame rail on an EB) and that's not a bad idea to add one to yours either.
Safety first, as we used to say...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DMC-DeLore...750417?hash=item4b45739711:g:D6oAAOSwZ~hbFV7u

Attachments

• 2017-03-10 13.02.35.jpg
    2017-03-10 13.02.35.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 2017-03-09 11.32.14.jpg
    2017-03-09 11.32.14.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 45

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
Do you have vents on the tank, or is it ventless? What year is your Bronco?
Do you have an open-element air cleaner? Even with TBI you can still get the smell out of the engine that way. Though a carburetor would be much worse.

Hmm, never seen that part of the instructions. Do they have them online, or do you have a copy? I don't think I got instructions with mine!

Tight, yes. But "correctly"? Nope.
All tanks (as they learned eventually) need to breathe. This meant that early models (on Broncos, it was mid-'70 and prior) the gas cap was vented (both ways) to keep pressure from building up and letting air in to replace the gas used. But this lead to lots of gas fumes where you didn't want them. Especially in the summer and after a fill up.
About that time was when our EB's got the charcoal canister and venting system with more sealed caps.

Yep, easily. What type of filter is it? Fully open? If so you could try an experiment and seal it with some plastic when you park the next time, just to see if it will still fill the garage with smell.
Does it get worse after re-filling the tank? Maybe it's somewhere else, such as on top of the tank.

Yep, hate to see that happen. But lines do leak, and hoses get old (especially the new crap!) or a clamp can come loose or be over-pressured with the new pump. What type of fuel line did you run with the new tank?
(oops, nevermind. I see you said Holley EFI lines. Got pics?

Did you check the filter for leaks too yet?
Let us know what year your truck is, and whether you have any of the EVAP system (charcoal canister and such) on it.

Paul

Paul here is the aero directions.
Karl

Attachments

• 9A996919-7F63-4B80-9BA8-B052EA548631.jpg
    9A996919-7F63-4B80-9BA8-B052EA548631.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 31

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks!
Yeah, never saw anything like that with mine. I wonder if I just missed it, or if it's a newer addition?

'Preciate it.

Paul