• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear change and Spartan Locker Install

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
I was considering a Aussie for the front and rear but after reading this the Spartan may be the way to go, at least in the rear. Would really like a factory LSD in the rear but I'm stuck with a open carrier.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I just installed 4.56 gears and a Spartan in my D44 with stock axles. It did not reuse the side gears from the old open diff.
I searched a bit and found that the Lock Right locker reuses the side gears but my Spartan did not.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I have made no more progress on this to date, except that a conversation at lunch cost me another $250 to install a spartan in the front as well. ;D

front does not reuse side gears, rear does(will confirm later).

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I just installed 4.56 gears and a Spartan in my D44 with stock axles. It did not reuse the side gears from the old open diff.
I searched a bit and found that the Lock Right locker reuses the side gears but my Spartan did not.

In the 44, the side gears are replaced by the locker with the Spartan and the lock right.
It's the 9" that evidently reuses the side gears

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
In the 44, the side gears are replaced by the locker with the Spartan and the lock right.
It's the 9" that evidently reuses the side gears

You are correct. I had no idea. That is kind of nice so you can upgrade axles without needing a new locker for the rear.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
going to try and put an hour a night into this till it is done.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got some work done on this last night.

I got my gears and diffs from the classifieds section. They are used, but look like they are in good shape. Last night I was able to tear down the front carrier and pinion, install the spartan, and create some setup bearings for the carrier. I'll make setup bearings for the pinion after I remove the old pinion.

New to me open carrier with 4.11 gears installed
4bb8a2fb618594ee466c34a128493b09.jpg

Harbor freight large bearing separator. Used a 3 jaw puller and a long socket to get the bearings off.
eba94b1a684ccece92cd00e9ef701395.jpg

Couldn't get the cross-shaft out without removing the ring gear. be sure to mark the gear and carrier so it goes back on the way it came off. May not be necessary, but I figure it couldn't hurt.
34fbd9406d2632b1808dbcf1af3ec41c.jpg

The bare carrier, ready for new guts.
df0ab0db5e4b18ae615f5d4743cf260f.jpg

Spider gears, free to anyone who wants them.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com
/20160518/953d90e57e768ea5548b7df98ebb1378.jpg

Spartan locker. This is beefy. The springs and pins are very stout.
80100d06e78394c140d81fd4e8d1cc8b.jpg

Spartan installed.
c463c80d76fbf747ddac82bbb4be8c42.jpg

Overall, if you are simply installing the locker, and you can get the cross shaft out, this job could probably be done in less than two hours, with the carrier still installed. The hardest part for me was driving out the old cross shaft retaining pin. Didn't have a punch long enough to go through, and ended up using a screwdriver that would fit.

No pics of the process, but to make the setup bearings. Remove bearings with puller/press, be careful not to deform the shims so you can measure to get a good baseline for how thick you need to go back with. Clean off the bearings, place in a vice with the jaws on the inner bearing surface, but not obstructing the opening. Using a mandrel mounted diamond flap disc I purchased from ?gravelmaker?, I sanded down the inside of the bearing surface. Continue to sand a little, and check the fit often. You want the bearing to just slide over the carrier, but not too loose.

Last edited:

Bigbeardbiii

Loc.
Jacksonville
Lonesouth,
Now, I'm getting confused. Since I am ONLY putting a Spartan in the rear "9" & not replacing anything else, can you send me a response with ONLY the steps I'll need to take & what tools are needed? Thanks a bunch! I REALLY need to try & tackle this within the next week & preferably this weekend, if possible!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
For those that are considering this install in the front axle, the pin can usually be pulled out by grinding 1 tooth enough to get the pin by, it is an acceptable solution as long as it is just 1 tooth and the grinding will not have to extend past 1/3 of total tooth length.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lonesouth,
Now, I'm getting confused. Since I am ONLY putting a Spartan in the rear "9" & not replacing anything else, can you send me a response with ONLY the steps I'll need to take & what tools are needed? Thanks a bunch! I REALLY need to try & tackle this within the next week & preferably this weekend, if possible!

I probably will not get to the rear for another couple weeks. I will post pics when I do get to it.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BTW, some bearing sets come with new pinion nuts

Last edited:
OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did not find an outer pinion oil slinger when I took everything apart. Can I build it back without one?

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
How's the progress going? I just bought a spartan locker for the rear and front. Probably won't start on it until November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
front end is still in pieces. some on the floor, some on the bench, none on the bronco. Haven't been able to work on it since my son was born, 5 months ago. Weather is starting to turn nice again so I have a little more incentive to get it done.