• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedo Gear What color after gear change?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
So group I pulled the trigger and had my gears changed from 3.50's to 4.56 I am running with 35" tires. I changed the speedo gear out when I switched t the 35" tires and now I have to switch again but to what color this time? Thanks in advance. And I thought I could go back to my original gear but I can't find it anyway.

69_Sport

The easiest way to determine what gear you need is to drive it with the current gear. Take along a cell phone or a GPS and compare the speed you see on the GPS with your speedometer.
Let's say your speedo says 55 mph, but the GPS says your actual speed is 50 mph. So you need a gear that slows down the speedo. How much?
55-50=5. So it's off 5mph at an actual 50 mph.
50÷5=10. It's off by 10 percent.
You need a gear that will slow down the speedo 10 percent.
Count the teeth on your existing gear. More teeth will slow down the speedo, less teeth will speed it up.
Let's say your existing gear has 16 teeth. Ten percent of 16 is 1.6. 16 + 1.6 = 17.6 teeth on the new gear. Round to the nearest whole number (gears won't have partial teeth!) or 18 teeth.
It's a simple proportion. Determine how far off it is now and the calculation is easy.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
The easiest way to determine what gear you need is to drive it with the current gear. Take along a cell phone or a GPS and compare the speed you see on the GPS with your speedometer.
Let's say your speedo says 55 mph, but the GPS says your actual speed is 50 mph. So you need a gear that slows down the speedo. How much?
55-50=5. So it's off 5mph at an actual 50 mph.
50÷5=10. It's off by 10 percent.
You need a gear that will slow down the speedo 10 percent.
Count the teeth on your existing gear. More teeth will slow down the speedo, less teeth will speed it up.
Let's say your existing gear has 16 teeth. Ten percent of 16 is 1.6. 16 + 1.6 = 17.6 teeth on the new gear. Round to the nearest whole number (gears won't have partial teeth!) or 18 teeth.
It's a simple proportion. Determine how far off it is now and the calculation is easy.
Thanks for that info.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As for the half tooth rounding, I recommend rounding down if it can go either way. That makes the speedometer run slightly faster than actual. Safer than slightly slower than actual.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
As for the half tooth rounding, I recommend rounding down if it can go either way. That makes the speedometer run slightly faster than actual. Safer than slightly slower than actual.
Good advice! I don't need the Popo behind me with lights on!