• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat torture cooling system test... Exploder mech vrs Tauras electric fans...

ZOSO

Well I checked mine, and I think we may have a little bit of a differentiation of interpretatiation.🤪
With our setups as compact as they are, even a perfect arrangement pulling air through the radiator and shroud is going to feel like it’s washing out the side of the shroud. That’s because there’s pretty much nowhere else for it to go.
The engine and other hard components are literally right behind the fan so even air coming straight back is only doing that for an inch or two before it washes out around the side and around the engine. Making all the air feel like it is bypassing the shroud.

The key factor in all this is whether or not it’s keeping the engine cool.
Were you simply concerned about the feel of the airflow? Or are you actually having a cooling problem with your explorer set up?
If I place my hand or a piece of paper in the engine by the power steering pump or coil packs there is no air movement. The air blows out of the fan shroud at 90*. Enough so that it kicks up dust off the ground. Just seeing if that is normal or not.

More curious as to what guys are doing to cut down the underhood heat since the fan doesnt seem to push air out the back like my old fixed blade fan did.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well your previous comment about wrapping headers or exhaust is certainly a huge contributor to lowering temps under the hood.

Seems to me like air flowing out the bottom of the engine compartment is still a good thing even if it’s not flowing directly back. But I’ll check mine for that aspect next time I’m out and report back.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't think ANY Bronco fan/radiator combo doesn't suffer from heat soak. There isn't any area for the air to go.

I remember when I put in a body lift. Noticeably cut the floor heat.

Are you trying to keep your rig stock looking? I would recommend putting in the screens. Powdercoat them if you don't want them to show much, but they will let air pass especially noticeable at low speed.

pbwcr

I hope this helps. I spent a considerable amount of $ to get a very good result for superior air flow. It is a long story. Here is relevant information.

The metal Explorer fan is proven not a good air mover. The plastic ones is way better based on independent testing. The best Explorer fan available is the 11 blade F87A-8600-EA = YA220. Available online in new condition. If you go that way it is possible that the clutch you now have won’t be optimum.

Btw, My final clutch choice was a 2792 Hayden for my custom shroud.

Testing from a previous thread

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-radiator-fan-upgrade-info-2000-2006-tj-1237538/index39.html

Yup - the jeep uses the same Explorer stuff - both fan and clutch.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Pbwc... where is the tech data showing the plastic pulls more air than the metal?

Going to that link and reading the first dozen or so posts there's no data... thought I'd ask.

I'll go with either fan-no bias. Just which one in testing pulls more air?

I posted up pics and measurements also showing amount of actual blade surface area and pitch of blades somewhere (could be on this original post of mine) but I had no way of measuring airflow.

I'll look for it.

Could you post the data showing plastic over metal? Thanks!

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I used a 2841 clutch
Not sure on tech differences

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here we go! PICS! lol

When I documented the differences between the plastic Exploder fan and metal one. I wish I could measure air flow between the two but ...

The link below will take you to the measurments and pics showing side by side comparisons btw plastic and metal Exploder fans. I didn't want to try finding a dozen pics on my phone and rewrite it all so... call me lazy. :)

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...5-wb-stretch-2-floor-lower-p-s.278607/page-31
post #602

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
It's SummerTime and time to dig out and update the "Torture Test" comparing Tauras/Volvo electric & Exploder clutch type mechanical cooling fans.

hossbronco

Contributor
I’ll be very interested in your results. I’ve got the Explorer clutch fan and the Volvo, neither of which I’ve tried yet (still waiting on the 427W to show up), but then I just sprang for BC Broncos’ new SPAL 19” Brushless IP68 Fan. Maybe it’s wishful thinking that I’ll get enough cooling from that, but I’d like to know what my fallback is if that doesn’t work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
IF BC's new SPAL brushless fan is as good as the Mecedes and Camaro's brushless fan then you're in business. I almost went with one of the newer brushless fans last fall but what I have works great. I don't have to worry about electrical failures of any kind and what I have is simple as heck. It cools a 600HP, 460ci sbf all day idling or cruising down the highway.

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Is there any way to get the Explorer fan to work on a 351W without going to the Explorer front dress? I have no issues with my engine driven accessories but have always had problems with overheating. I have a '94 Lightning engine converted to SEFI but using a 1979 E150 front dress with 5 blade fan with shroud and a RD aluminum radiator.

Would an option be to run the fan without the clutch?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Couple reasons-

Depth of fan btw wtrpump and radiator- possible issue

No way to attach that pulley driven fan to the wtrpump pulley- real issue

Exploder wtrpump is reverse rotation- definitely real issue

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Given that the Exploder timing cover and water pump are the best design that I've seen that Ford has come up with for coolant flow in the small block, the only reason that I can think of to not convert to that system in an EB would be cost.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the ‘79 van was using a serpentine drive then at least the fan rotation would be correct.
But all of the other stumbling blocks still apply.

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Thanks for the input guys. Yes, I thought about the reverse rotation after I posted. I would like to do the Explorer front dress but it will have to wait. Looks like cost will be around $800 to $1000 ($600 or so for brackets and new parts, $200 plus for new harmonic balancer and pulley or to have the Explorer one rebalanced). I just spend $1700 on the Wild Horses stainless tank, skid plate, and pump so I will have to wait a while. :(

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We understand how that goes!
And thanks for the support always!

Are you basing the price on sourcing them locally, or have you talk to member Sandmann here?

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
That is buying the brackets from Sandman and having them shipped then needing to buy the alternator, p/s pump, water pump, new pulleys. I don't see any inexpensive way around having to buy a different damper and pulley as I have a 4 bolt damper currently.

Paul, were you one of the original members of the EBML? I remember a Paul that I believe worked for Disney back in the day, sorry if that isn't you, it has been a very very long time! lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, but I was an early-ish member for sure. I remember at least one other Paul though, so that's likely who you're thinking of.
I think my buddy Jerry (Ornellas) was much earlier and got me into it. Great to bring that up though. Lots of fun helping kick off the internet!

Paul

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Yes, it definitely was. I did a write up on my C4 swap from the manual and lots of people used the information. It was definitely a great group and a lot of fun. I bought my Bronco in 1995 and was a member of the EBML before I bought it.

Back on topic, sorry, not meaning to hijack.

I really want to do the Explorer front dress swap since it seems to help so much with overheating. But, any thoughts on if upgrading to a larger Griffin radiator might solve my issues or if the lack of air movement under the hood is more likely the culprit? I have thought about adding a scoop and drilling holes on the side to try to get more air moving under the hood. Is there a better fan than the Ford 5 blade for a v belt system?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
No, but I was an early-ish member for sure. I remember at least one other Paul though, so that's likely who you're thinking of.
I think my buddy Jerry (Ornellas) was much earlier and got me into it. Great to bring that up though. Lots of fun helping kick off the internet!

Paul
Next time you chat with Jerry ask about our ride out to the dunes after getting the 418 dialed in on his "Bronco".at the Sand Lake campground and how the park rangers thought we were trying to outrun them because we didn't have a flag on the back yet... Jerry did a lot of smooth talking to get out of that one!

Early SOB... #6 or so??