• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Initial Service Recommendations

lilgeerts72

Loc.
Peoria, IL
I have searched for a post on this, but can't seem to find anything. If anyone has the link, feel free to post it.

What services would you do when you first take possession of your vehicle? I am planning on flushing the radiator, changing the oil, and new spark plugs, but hopefully someone can add a comprehensive list of services so I can rest well knowing everything is as fresh as possible. Any links to a "How To" are appreciated as well, and thanks for your help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome to classicbroncos! Let us know more about your rig too, so we can live vicariously through the forum. Love seeing pics too, when you can.

I'm sure there are links, and there are many discussions you'll come across while browsing/searching the site, but I'll list the basic others. Since we're on fluids, there are others that are just as, or possibly more important than the engine oil.
Yeah, I know, not much is more important that that! But with our old trucks, I bet most PO's (previous owners) never bothered to change or even check the differential and gearbox fluids. Much less re-pack the front, and replace the rear wheel bearings.

So, to that end:

1. Front and rear differentials.
2. Manual or automatic trans fluids
3. Transfer case oil.
4. Front wheel bearing re-pack or replacement if determined to be out of spec.
(there's a very specific, and slightly odd adjustment procedure, so if you do your own, double check on that aspect)
5. Rear wheel bearings.
Here, if you don't know their history, or know for a fact that they've got more than 100k miles on them, or if they feel a little loose or sound "dry" then just replace them. File it under cheap insurance.

That's about it for the basics. Let us know what transmission you have, and a little more about the rig, and we can discuss the specific fluid requirements and such.

Have fun!

Paul

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Wouldn't it really depend on the current condition/use prior to your purchase??

You may not need to do anything if it was used frequently/normally.....you never said what condition it is in.

Has it sat unused for months or years or what?? Hate to see you changing everything for no reason. If history is unknown, would also check brakes/fluid - if Dirtdonk didn't mention that.

Pops

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2, also if you don't know the age/condition, you may want to do the belts and hoses.

OP
OP
L

lilgeerts72

Loc.
Peoria, IL
It is a 1968, 289 V8, 3 on the tree. I know it isn't the original motor, but I don't have a ton of background Other than that on how much it was driven before I purchased it which is why I want to run through everything. Things I know for sure, it has a small drip under the engine, when I filled it up with fuel it leaked for a bit so I think I will need a new sender unit, and a small grind shifting into third gear.... It was bought to be a long-term project, little by little, and that seems to be the case!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Donk pretty much covered except for the muffler bearings