• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance Hagerty

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I called my Allstate agent today and he said I could just add it to my current policy on my other vehicles and have the same coverage. I am having him check with his adjuster and see how it would be handled if I had a total loss.
$235 every 6 months for full coverage with high limits. The NADA book says it's worth from 15k to 20k average to excellent shape.

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
Insurance

As an adjuster I can tell you without reservation that if you have collector's car insurance via Hagerty, Grundy or any other...You may think you are insured but you will have an issue when it comes to a claim. it will be the luck of the draw with the type of damage and the adjuster you get. The fire I could see falling through but an accident will be an issue.

I would read the policy 5 times. Especially the exclusions. Read every page thoroughly as insurance policies may read as if everything is ok and them wham...on the last page one small sentence in the middle excludes your coverage.

Off-road vehicles are not covered. It is collector's car insurance-specifically for show cars and restorations of vehicles that are not driven far, garaged, shown occassionally.

The blue book value on broncos has gone up substantially in the past few years so any auto insurer will cover with good value but most likely exclude off road damage.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Back when I had insurance I had State Farm was 89.00 every 6 months..I figured 5 or 6 k is about what mine as worth ...So I could afford it if it was lost..And I only put about 200 miles a year on it one the Hwy ..

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I only carried liability on mine when it was worth 4-5k, but now I will have spent 20-25 on it by the end of the year. I will have over 7k in stripping,paint and LineX.

JMP

Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I just went through this with my Insurance company.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136341&highlight=insurance

I ended up with Safeco because it was the only company I could find that would allow me to drive it to a "destination". I am allowed to drive it to work etc, just not 100% of the time, and I cannot drive it more than 2500 miles per year.

Incognito is totally correct. Once you file the claim, they will point it out to you in your contract that you were not using the vehicle within specifications of the insurance contract. Call them up and ask them now, before anything happens.

Also, get a stated cash value of the vehicle in writing. Actual Cash Value, which is what is listed on it means it is depreciated cost, which means about $400, for our "old" rigs...

With Safeco, I got all of this
Liability 50/100
PIP 50/100
Underinsureed 50/100
Comprehensive
Collusion
Agreed Value of $14,000

For 124.60 every 6 months.

Haggerty is great if you keep it in the garage, on the pavement and "untweaked".

My .02

Josh

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
They accepted me 2 years ago without any problem with the same tires and no question about off road. I decided to ask if my truck would be covered with larger tires and a cage for safety. I did not want them to deny my claim if something happened.
Anyone with any of the collector car companies, needs to read their policy closely and call and ask if their truck is covered as it is modified and for it's use. I am glad I asked the questions. If I had a wreck and they would not pay, I would be Pi$$ed.

JMP

Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Call them and ask them. Just because they didnt ask and you didnt bring it up does not mean they will give you a check in the end.

Call them, tell them that you have 36" tires and 4 wheel it,

Prove us wrong.

What is the worst that could happen. You can either prove us wrong, or know that you need to get new insurance, before a disaster happens.

The way I see it is you are paying for nothing, if in the end they wont pay anything out. Waste of money.

Just trying to look out for you guys.

From their web page, scroll to the bottom...
http://www.hagerty.com/auto/vehicle_insure.aspx

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Call them and ask them. Just because they didnt ask and you didnt bring it up does not mean they will give you a check in the end.

Call them, tell them that you have 36" tires and 4 wheel it,

Prove us wrong.

What is the worst that could happen. You can either prove us wrong, or know that you need to get new insurance, before a disaster happens.

The way I see it is you are paying for nothing, if in the end they wont pay anything out. Waste of money.

Just trying to look out for you guys.

From their web page, scroll to the bottom...
http://www.hagerty.com/auto/vehicle_insure.aspx

Damn. What was I thinking? "Trucks shouldn't be used for utility-type purposes, such as hauling, trailering, and camping."

70 sport WA

Contributor
Mine is almost exactly the same as JMP...Safeco Insurance and I can drive it anytime, anywhere.

There should be concern (I think) when some folks are getting classic insurance from Haggerty and the other places--and with few restrictions--while others with the same set up or even less modified aren't. I would be worried if a claim is ever filed, "Are they gonna pay out?"

That could be said of any insurance company, I know, but I'd hate to have one tell me "You weren't supposed to drive it to the supermarket" or something like that.

76_bronco

Loc.
Middletown,Delaware
My '76 is under hagerty and I told them about the restoration and everything i would be doing and they just told me to send pictures and they would bump up the the coverage. I thinks its crazy how insurance companies tell you that you cant drive more than 2,000 miles a year. I see it as its my truck ill drive it when, where, and however I want. Just my feeling on it

OX1

Bronco Guru
My '76 is under hagerty and I told them about the restoration and everything i would be doing and they just told me to send pictures and they would bump up the the coverage. I thinks its crazy how insurance companies tell you that you cant drive more than 2,000 miles a year. I see it as its my truck ill drive it when, where, and however I want. Just my feeling on it

I'm fine with the mileage restictions, most let you up them to at least 3000. Your not getting 6 or $8000 insurance, full coverage for 100$ a year because they just like you. :p

I do wish they would at least offer a policy for more money with less restictions, as most "normal" policies will not give you comp/collision no matter how much you would pay.

OP
OP
D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Damn. What was I thinking? "Trucks shouldn't be used for utility-type purposes, such as hauling, trailering, and camping."

They told me they were a collector car insurance company. I took that to mean they will insure something to look at and not use, especially if you read their restrictions.
That is the reason I asked the questions after reading the restrictions. I did not want to be paying and not have any coverage. If I had not ask the questions, they would have accepted me like they did before. Then if I had a wreck, they would say-No,look at those tires and cage, contract is void.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Hagerty

I think most of this problem stems from misunderstanding the coverage they offer. It's really for the Porsches, Ferraris, Mustang, GTO, etc. crowd. Sunday driver, show car, toy etc. EB owners that have a Sunday driver or EB that fits into these categories can get coverage. I can't remember my exact premium, but I have my EB plus a 911 for around $200-300/yr for both. Pretty damn reasonable.

I don't know why ANY insurance company would insure offroad vehicles, but some do. Damage is going to happen. 33+ sized tires and full roll cages usually mean it goes offroad. I have my Stroppe bar in there and it's not a problem, but it came with it new...another argument some could use. One thing you might also check into...and this is what I do with my m/c insurance with Geico...is just get liability and theft coverage. Leave the collision off the comprehensive.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I talked to the Hagerty guys at Barrett Jackson this year, one of them even came out to the lot to look at my '73. While he liked the Bronco, he was pretty honest in telling me that they wouldn't likely cover it and, if they did, pretty much the only way I'd be able to collect on a claim was if it was stolen or destroyed while in a secure location (like my garage). He said something as simple as being in the parking lot, as it was, could be enough to deny a claim if something happened.....I appreciated his honesty at least.

MI-Bronco

Haggerty turned me down after I said mine was lifted.

I have American Modern $300/yr..

Read everything - a couple times...
all I know - if I have an accident...
I'm on my way to or from a car show..

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haggerty turned me down after I said mine was lifted.

I have American Modern $300/yr..

Read everything - a couple times...
all I know - if I have an accident...
I'm on my way to or from a car show..

or a club event/meeting

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thinks its crazy how insurance companies tell you that you cant drive more than 2,000 miles a year. I see it as its my truck ill drive it when, where, and however I want. Just my feeling on it

And they see it as an undue liability and will void your contract and thank you kindly for the $$$ you have given them for NOTHING.

There is usually a damn good reason the why cheapest price is ...cheapest.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I don't see it that way. It is cheap because the risk is low. Classic cars are largely driven as Sunday drivers and for owners that make love to their cars on their driveway with Griot's Garage supplies. Classic car insurance is tailored to those people. Classic car owners screamed for years for having to pay the same for a vehicle they drove a dozen times a year and babied as they did for their daily driver. This insurance fills that need. It's not for mudders, krawlers, safari dudes, or even for hardcore campers. You need mainstream insurance for that.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I called my Allstate agent today and he said I could just add it to my current policy on my other vehicles and have the same coverage. I am having him check with his adjuster and see how it would be handled if I had a total loss.
$235 every 6 months for full coverage with high limits. The NADA book says it's worth from 15k to 20k average to excellent shape.

$136.00 every 6 months, full coverage Allstate, added onto my policy. No photos, no questions asked.
I asked how they pay for loss and my agent said they use fair market value of similar vehicles. I also keep a binder for all my receipts and have plenty of pictures and documentation for the "just in case."