• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lonesouth's general welding thread

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I really like that table idea, I wonder if I could build something like this into part of my welding table? Now you got me thinking. ;)

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Keep in mind when cutting with the plasma, if you don't have enough space between what you're cutting and the support, it will cut that also.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I saw another table designed with sacrificial 1/8" x 1" cross bars. Another suggested a bed of nails for plasma. Haven't gotten that far, still thinking it out.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back on the bumper caps.

I found some sheet metal in the shed from which I was able to make some end caps. I used a roll of teflon tape to mark out 4 ~2" circles and used some tin snips to cut them out. Not sure what the thickness was, maybe 20ga, the snips cut with ease. I think that is part of what made this the hardest, most annoying, attempt at welding so far.

The tube is 3/16 if not 1/4 wall. It was nigh impossible to get the caps welded on without burning straight through the cap. My settings were 1/40 and .23 wire, 100% CO2. I suspect I would have had an easier go of it with a thicker cap, but either I wasn't getting enough heat into the pipe, or too much into the cap and blowing through.

I finally got all 4 welded in, I made at least 4 trips back and forth on each piece between the welder and the grinder. I would weld it all up, think it looked OK, then after grinding I would see the crack where there was no penetration to the pipe. Extremely frustrating. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
It would have been much easier to weld if the two materials where the same thickness. ;)

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It would have been much easier to weld if the two materials where the same thickness. ;)

/\/\ That +1

TIG is the best way if you want to weld different thicknesses.

Straight CO2 is a poor choice of gas for fine welding, Argon mix is much better.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
TIG is the best way if you want to weld different thicknesses.

I agree, you can ride the ticker side harder with a tig and then just pull in the thin side, with a quick rotation onto it's metal. If you are going to work with thin steel a bit, consider getting a cheap DC TIG unit. Then you can do stainless, copper, gold, silver etc.. as well, just won't be able to do aluminum with a DC unit. Not that I would know but DC TIG units are great for building moonshine stills.