• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

loud rockers

tripog

Double checked for exhaust leaks this afternoon, as far as I can tell leaks are not causing the sound. This weekend or next I'll probably pull the engine to inspect the flex plate and bottom end unless someone has a better or different suggestion

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So hard to tell without being there.

Can you cover ALL header connections with a rag quick enough (no fires) to be 100% on the exhaust leaks? It works, you just need gloves, a cold engine, sveral rags as they get hot and a hose nearby (just in case).

You only have a few minutes to complete one side. Have a buddy help listen.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what about using wet rags? They could take the heat a little longer and maybe even block sound better I would think.

paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Sure. Rags work. Changes the tone completely to help eliminate
/find leaks.

tripog

I'll give the wet rags a shot before I pull it apart. Thanks for the suggestion.

tripog

I did find an exhaust leak but it wasnt the sound I am looking for. I have eliminated so many leaks and sounds if it wasn't for this tapping the thing would sound electric.

nvrstuk

Contributor
That there's funny! Not that you couldn't find the leak but...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
while the sound it there carefully disconnect on spark plug wire at a time and reconnect see if the pitch changes. if you find a suspect hole then you can pull the valve cover and start the engine you then can use a long pipe on the rocker arm to hear which is clicking. I have a cut out old valve cover to help with this type of work.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Carefully is right!!

Don't use insulated pliers with a rag thinking that 55,000 volts with a flipping half amp spark aint gonna knock ya on your butt or stop your heart...cause it can. So buy the proper tool because ya only get one chance right? I don't know if you're running pts or EDIS but new ignition systems aren't like the old ones that just seem to zap your funny bone for a bit.

I have done this check, like most of us, dozens of times isolating lifter or valve train noise.

I thought you'd already done this??

Last edited:

tripog

while the sound it there carefully disconnect on spark plug wire at a time and reconnect see if the pitch changes. if you find a suspect hole then you can pull the valve cover and start the engine you then can use a long pipe on the rocker arm to hear which is clicking. I have a cut out old valve cover to help with this type of work.

I did this, there was no noticeable change in sound.

Carefully is right!!

Don't use insulated pliers with a rag thinking that 55,000 volts with a flipping half amp spark aint gonna knock ya on your butt or stop your heart...cause it can. So buy the proper tool because ya only get one chance right? I don't know if you're running pts or EDIS but new ignition systems aren't like the old ones that just seem to zap your funny bone for a bit.

I have done this check, like most of us, dozens of times isolating lifter or valve train noise.

I thought you'd already done this??

I did, I couldn't hear any difference

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
put a sounding rod on the timing cover and listen for timing chain noise. use a sounding rod on each exhaust port on the manifold.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure it was mentioned early on in this discussion, but at this point with all the leaks accounted for and much of the valvetrain tweaked and/or fixed, any chance that it could be noisy fuel injectors? Most of them make a lot of noise.
Of course, if it's carbureted then it's just the carburetor crickets!;)

tripog

put a sounding rod on the timing cover and listen for timing chain noise. use a sounding rod on each exhaust port on the manifold.

Did this, can't really notice in the primaries but can hear it in the collector on both sides, couldn't hear it on the timing cover.

Pretty sure it was mentioned early on in this discussion, but at this point with all the leaks accounted for and much of the valvetrain tweaked and/or fixed, any chance that it could be noisy fuel injectors? Most of them make a lot of noise.
Of course, if it's carbureted then it's just the carburetor crickets!;)

It is pretty audible in the fuel rail, I have tried disconnecting some of the injectors I can reach but that's only like one. Putting it on each individual injector I can't really tell but on each of the fuel rail ends it's there. The injectors are refurbished by a local company who has offered to look at em or send me a couple to experiment with but I can't narrow down which ones may be suspect.

Bronco4x4

Check exaust clamps and brackets (especially near the front of the vehicle). I have had some loosen up over time that seemed like valve train noise.

tripog

Check exaust clamps and brackets (especially near the front of the vehicle). I have had some loosen up over time that seemed like valve train noise.

went to go listen to the sound today and its gone for now