• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More HP from 302??

The Roacher

Greeting all,

Engine Noob here...

My 302 runs really well, sounds good, idles nice...

It just doesn't seen to have the HORSEPOWER I feel like it should??

Any suggestions on the quickest way to get a boost in HP without tearing it completely apart?

Upgrades So Far: 4bbl Edelbrock 650...Performer Intake...PerTronix electronic ignition, Flame Thrower etc...that's about it...

All advice and smart alec comments welcome...

Thanks!

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Without the year of your 302, it's hard to tell if you've got decent heads or not. There were some that were ok, and some that had terrible flow.
However, keeping what you've got, the cam needs changing to get the most out of your new four barrel. Many use an Edelbrock Performer cam , or one of its many knock-offs. It's a good upgrade, but not so much that you'll need to change your valve springs.

Next is the exhaust. The biggest restriction on these stock heads is the exhaust port. Stock heads respond really well to ling tube headers. Long tube headers actually create an eductor effect that helps pull out the exhaust.

Next your ignition. You have a new distributor, but the advance curve should be tailored for your motor. Most need a quicker advance curve. You can do this yourself or have a tune up shop do it.

Finally, your Edelbrock carb will need to be tuned too. Out of the box it's probably running fat and stinky. It will cause the engine to be sluggish. Edelbrock sells a tuning kit for each model of their carb. It comes with metering rods, jets, and pull up springs. The owners manual covers the seting up pretty well.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
His is a '69 blu...

Hey Raoch, did you not get your engine freshened up when you did your frame-off?

Attachments

• The Roacher1.jpg
    The Roacher1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 120
  • The Roacher2.jpg
    The Roacher2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 118
  • The Roacher3.jpg
    The Roacher3.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 131

JSBX

Contributor
What is your gearing and tire size? Tall gears with tall tires will make your engine fill sluggish.

armynavy17

Contributor
Worth mentioning that broncos generally respond better to more torque than more horsepower. Depending of course on what your plans and uses for it are.

Definitely agree that the advance curve has big effects on the seat of pants performance meter and is easy/cheap to correct.

When you upgraded the ignition did you replace the plug wires and increase the spark plug gap? Running stock spark plug gap with a flamethrower or other high output coil doesn't really do much. The spark isn't any hotter unless the gap is increased thus requiring more current. Of course then the electricity looks for an easier path so good spark plugs wires are a must. Ford racing plug wires are really nice and we'll reviewed on here.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Gear it correctly and it will feel like you added 100 HP

Keep it geared wrong and adding 100 HP will fill like you added 10.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can get you 1000hp out of a 302. Once.

You are moving a 4000lb brick, literally a brick. You need torque, and gearing to solve most of your issues.

What is your axle ratio? What is your tire size?

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
Just save up or just go build a 351, A stock 351 will feel like twice the power of your 302. If you are after power that is the ticket as stated torque is what you want and there is no replacement for displacement! The 320 can make big power but will be high strung

clinem03

^ This ^

Agreed. I have a 72 F100 and a 76 Bronco Wagon - both have mostly stock 302's with 3 speed transmissions (I know there are a lot of other factors as they are diff trucks). My Bronco has higher 3.5 gears and feels like Pepe Le Pew compared to my F100 which is super sluggish.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
no replacement for displacement. swap in a 351 or a stroker 302. then you can really bust stuff.

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

His is a '69 blu...

Hey Raoch, did you not get your engine freshened up when you did your frame-off?

Thanks Scott,

Kinda?... We basically took it down to the block, but stopped there...we debated about putting a cam in, but ultimately decided not to...

So, anything that can be attached to the outside of the block was refreshed/replaced, but nothing was done to the inside of the block...new intake, carb, long tube headers, electronic ignition, alternator, water pump etc...

Maybe I just need a really good tune-up to make all those new parts work in harmony?

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

What is your gearing and tire size? Tall gears with tall tires will make your engine fill sluggish.

Thanks!!

I'm on 33's, and i have no idea what gears are in it...

I'll figure gears out asap...

Paul

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

Worth mentioning that broncos generally respond better to more torque than more horsepower. Depending of course on what your plans and uses for it are.

Definitely agree that the advance curve has big effects on the seat of pants performance meter and is easy/cheap to correct.

When you upgraded the ignition did you replace the plug wires and increase the spark plug gap? Running stock spark plug gap with a flamethrower or other high output coil doesn't really do much. The spark isn't any hotter unless the gap is increased thus requiring more current. Of course then the electricity looks for an easier path so good spark plugs wires are a must. Ford racing plug wires are really nice and we'll reviewed on here.

Thanks ARMY!

I will be studying "Advance" this weekend...

We put good plug wires in, but have not looked at changing the GAP's...I'll look into that as well...

THANKS!

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My Brother and I both had Broncos with 302 engines and 2 barrel carbs. Both had 32" tires. Mine had a C4 and his was a three speed. His always had a lot more pep than mine. We finally figured out the difference when we were comparing RPM wile riding together. His had 3.70 gears and mine was 3.50.

His still traveled down the highway just as good as mine, but could outrun me anywhere.

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

Thanks!

Any gearing suggestions to make it a speedy street cruiser?

This one is a pavement princess... not a 4x4/rock crawler...

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

I can get you 1000hp out of a 302. Once.

You are moving a 4000lb brick, literally a brick. You need torque, and gearing to solve most of your issues.

What is your axle ratio? What is your tire size?

Thanks!

33's....

I just learned what axle ratio is...one minute ago...from google... I'll go put it on the lift and get back to you on that...

Thanks!

Paul

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

Just save up or just go build a 351, A stock 351 will feel like twice the power of your 302. If you are after power that is the ticket as stated torque is what you want and there is no replacement for displacement! The 320 can make big power but will be high strung

351 sounds like fun...

What's your take on just doing a coyote or other modern engine swap?