• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My 1971 Baja Bronco

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Changed out the old FORD letters. Not sure how accurate the colors are. I'll keep the originals and probably repaint them.

Old

New

House

Minutia Militia
Looks good Andy! The ones on the bottom look pretty close, but
those are painted too, not like the original ones with inserts right?
I know your originals look more maroon, but it has to do with aging.
I have an NOS set I can dig out if you want to compare...

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Used the Wild Horses Round Up as a motivator to get the back seat done and installed. Pretty easy, bottom cushion just fits around the new foam and board then staple away. Back cushion pulls over the foam and zip it closed.

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
I'm not really into show awards but have to admit it's cool when you get one. Very unexpected. A great day with a couple hundred Broncos.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was a great day and your BajA looked awesome-got a lot of attention!

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
In my continuing quest to make this truck a better driver I ordered an Impact series rear bumper and tire carrier. The stock carrier just makes to much noise for me. We shall see how it looks on the truck.

Replaced all the rubber pieces in the tailgate. All the rattles are gone!

Bumper is sold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Took the door card off to fix the window. Had some Dynamat laying around.
Trying to add a little weight to the door so it will close easier. My current project is trying to make the doors close like they should without slamming them.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great work, Andy! I did the same thing to my doors a few years back. Helps with the heft of the doors and I like to think it makes a little bit of difference.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always had good luck insulating doors. Got that more "solid" sound and made for better speaker enclosures in every old car or truck I did it in.
Heck, when I first got mine I put in some 4" fiberglass batting insulation! Man, that stuff worked great. But it was a pain sometimes to keep clean, dry and in place.
But great for sound and sound deadening.

If your door seals can be removed without destroying them, I would try that to see if that's why your doors won't close.
The two largest contributors to EB door closing issues are a gummed up latch and too-hard door seals.

Taking the seals out lets you more easily align the latch position with the body lines, then you put the seals in to see if they cause trouble. Original seals were rarely an issue, but aftermarket ones are very often the main problem.
It's easy to feel the difference between old and new in most cases, but some are worse than others.
It's why we have a fit guarantee on ours. It's not that ours are perfect either, but at least you're not stuck with them if they don't work as expected. We just ask that you try them on first, before going to all the trouble to glue-n-screw them. Makes the installer a lot happier if they didn't have to fight one more thing on their Broncos!

Anyway, don't know if you have old or new seals on yours Andy, but those are the two most likely culprits on an older Bronco. We were just discussing the different ways of cleaning the latches, but the seals are either hit or miss. Lots of ways to skin that cat, but only a few things you can actually do to a poorly fitting seal to make it work better.

Paul

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
The door closes easily and lines up correctly without the seals. Latch is fine.
More weight in the door helps. If I roll the window all the way down the door closes much easier, all the weight down low makes a difference.
Upper seals are fine.

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Have not posted here for a while. My truck turned 126,000 miles old today.
e02dd00a5409bc623d67cd3addd5a53b.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, always good to come back and update with good news!
Been enjoying yours it sounds like.

Paul

75Denver

Replaced all the rubber pieces in the tailgate. All the rattles are gone!

Bumper is sold.

What all did you replace and remove in order to make it rattle free? I bought all new rubber, tailgate/latch bumpers, and even taped the tailgate hinges (JANKY) but to no-avail. Help.

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
What all did you replace and remove in order to make it rattle free? I bought all new rubber, tailgate/latch bumpers, and even taped the tailgate hinges (JANKY) but to no-avail. Help.

Did you change all the rubber in the lift gate? Make sure you change out the little rubber piece on the "anti theft post" on the tailgate.
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/anti-theft-post-sleeve-tailgate.

I found the rattle was mostly between the tailgate and lift gate. That little sleeve seems to tighten things up. Buy a few of them, they tend to wear out and split.