• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help quick

rtj731

yesterday I finally got home...new shoes from NAPA proved that the drum was not able to go on half way...went under and totally disconnected the E-brake and went back through everything...

I had completely disconnected mine form the center mount, issue was the cable was frozen in the sheathing and was not letting the arm mounted on the rear shoe to retract. This was hard to find since were talking 1/4" or so. I disconnected the cable from the arm and my new drums fit.

My old drums fit, so I first looked at the new ones as being the pos made in china and also thought of having them turned, turned out just the cable.
ordered new e- brake cables today

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
funny thing...pull the other side down, pop the clip from the e-brake arm and it disappears..>ARGGGHHHHH. off to Napa and fortunately they had some.

With regard to the wheel cylinder, not an issue......just the shoes where thick and the drums too small. Talked to a friend that builds pro street cars, said to NEVER EVER buy O'Reilys or any of them for brakes...same story occurs. They all use NAPA.

Regardless, everything is going perfect, passenger side done and adjusted. Driver side stripped down and ready to go back together and adjusted... bleed, e-brake adjust, drive and burn them in and re adjust...end of a 2 week friggin headache... but you know what? I knew better from the start, got lazy and used a crappy store...I own that.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
never in my life have I had something bust my balls like this and I have taken on some ridiculous tasks that people look at and shake their heads in disbelief.. humbled is an understatement.

rtj731

I feel your pain, started to just replace the adjuster and springs, ended up with new drums and all new parts, simple yeah right, that frozen e-cable beat the heck outa me

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
well, bleed them, adjusted the e-brake. bolted the wheels up and everything is happy again...at least for 2 weeks....seems to be a Broncos time span

broncoman805

Loc.
Oxnard, CA
Well, I would take the shoes back and tell them they don't fit, the set in the pix don't look right. I've had too many O'Rielly and Autozone parts people tell me thats the part number the computer lists and it's the wrong part. Most recently it was an oil filter. My favorite is the thermostat housing gasket for a small block Ford.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I went through this same problem yesterday, 1970 with 10" brakes. Except I only had a problem on the passenger side - drum simply would not go on with adjuster all the way in. But I was lucky it was only one side and here's why:

drum-adjusters.jpg

I compared the two and found the passenger side adjuster was longer than the driver side. Someone in the past must have replaced it with an 11" adjuster and apparently it worked with the shoes they used (thinner?). But it would not work with the new shoes I got.