• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help quick

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
JMO but I did this type of work for over 25 years so it may be worth something. The new linings are a little thick. You may want to try to get the drums on and move them just a little. Then remove them and file/sand the linings where the rub marks are to get clearance. It may take a few trys, but it will work.
Years ago brake linings were sanded on a special machine set to match the measurement of the drums on the car. That is not a common practice anymore. So you may have to custome fit the linings yourself.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Hey bax...first thing I did was to see how the arc was with the shoes inside the drums...

I thought about sanding them down on the high spots, but would require getting the drum over them more than 1/2". I have smacked them with a hammer...I have mounted the drum and tried smacking the drum to set the shoes, I have checked the E.brake cable to assure it is not pushing against the shoes..

I have some time invested and have shot the whole wad...hence a different vendor and new shoes coming. I had read on some posts the thickness difference in some manufacturers...if this fails to do the trick, F' it and the other shoes go back on and see what happens...I had one day off to do this and the time constraint got on my nerves, easier to walk away and let the time expire and just deal with it...will tackle it Monday....

Guys...Thanks for the input....always appreciated...at this rate, for another $500 should of just went for disc

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Judging from the pictures it looks like you have an 11 inch shoe. take the un installed shoes and put them in the drum and see how they fit.

I agree with Bax. And also look how the wheel cylinder push rod is point up and the look at the bottom of the shoe as it passes the normal arc of the backing plate.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Hi Shamu...

Man, I measured the brakes side by side by placing them on the garage floor forming an arch and then took their replacement shoes and set right along side edge to edge..identical in length, just more meat on the pads and the pads I took off where quite good still.

They hit the backing plate as they should on the rub areas. The shoes have a rub area also that matches up to the backing plate rub areas...it all matches.

Took the shoes and placed the old inside the new drums and new in the new drums and the new in the old drums (yeah I was getting bored) and they all fit. The drums are marked 10" and they fit on the other side whereas I have yet to pull the shoes off over there so that rules the drums out totally.

I left the bleeder open on the wheel cylinder to assure no pressure there also..

Rarely do I have a problem when I fix or replace something and never have I had something stop me dead like this. In my mind, it has a tad too much pad and maybe a little more arc giving it a bump... can't do anything about it now as I am at work till Monday and the new shoes will be here...worth the piece of mind for $27

bax

Contributor
Old Member
This may sound stupid but is the adjuster screwed all the way in to make it as short as possible?

Action

11"

They look like 11" brake shoes from the pics. How wide are the shoes? 11" shoes are 1 3/4" wide and 10" is something like 2 1/4" wide. My 73 uses 11"x1 3/4" Good luck
Jack.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Shoot me an email of your old rear pad (long side) and your new one (long side) with the metal adjuster and the top pivot sitting on a flat surface. I want to see a face down shot of the pads. And then keep them standing and show me a vertical pic.

My email is c-allen9@att.net

Damon Hopper aka Shamu

rtj731

sorry didn't read the entire post, but I had a similar issue a fews weeks back, turned out my parking brake cable was froze and didn't allow the arm to retract all the way.

I took it apart several times wore the paint right off the new springs, it is really hard to see the parking brake arm to see if it's fully retracted. I pulled the cables and soaked them in wd40 and worked them for awhile, after that every thing fit fine. FWIW

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
the parking brake cable is totally loose, was the first thing I started with in trouble shooting...I am at the fire station and cant do anything until tomorrow guys

The adjusters I tore apart and checked for burs and again for full retract...

shoes same width as others...also riveted not bonded

starting to feel like a bad episode of Jeopardy

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
the parking brake cable is totally loose, was the first thing I started with in trouble shooting...I am at the fire station and cant do anything until tomorrow guys

The adjusters I tore apart and checked for burs and again for full retract...

shoes same width as others...also riveted not bonded

starting to feel like a bad episode of Jeopardy

Okay Alex I will take Bronco brakes for $1000;)

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Brother, if I had a buck for everytime a 1/2 hour job took me all day, I would be richer than I currently am. I feel for you and just wanted to say, keep cool, be patient and you will figure it out. I hope you have another means of transportation because that makes life so much easier. Good luck on this case bro.
For clarity sake, do both new drums slide on the other side? Im pretty sure you would have tried this already but, ya never know. From the pics, I couldn't tell if the tops of the shoe frames are completely seated on the post. Sometimes I have to sort of bang mine into place with my fist. Again, I'm sure you tried this.
Lastly, make sure you have the right shoes for the drums you are using. Measure your old drums( inside diameter) will probably be slightly bigger than 10 inches and measure the new ones. Concern they're the same size, then confirm you have the proper shoes, again messages the width and confirm you have ten inch shoes. My thinking is,perhaps someone mismatched the shoes at one point and then they sanded them down to get the drums on, or something along those lines. Ok, good luck bro.

Last edited:

rtj731

Understand you loosened the brake cable, I also did that, my issue was the cable was frozen inside the sheathing, It looked like it was loose, completely detached from the e-brake bracket hanger. Took some time to figure it out eveything looked right, the cable only need to slide less than a .25 inch or so. disconnect the cable from the brake arm and see if the shoes will seat right.

turbotim2

Did you replace the spreader bar? And if so, is the new one the same (correct) length?

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
hey guys...I put all the old parts in last time we spoke...yes both drums fit the other side easily as that side was not replaced.

I picked up yesterday the NAPA shoes and I can tell you this...less thickness. Bad part is I picked up 5 straight days of work so I will not get to this soon.

Had a rock crawler friend take a quick look yesterday and he builds a lot of rear ends..he thought everything was perfect... well the mystery has to wait until Monday

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems more and more that the cheap-ass crap that we've insisted the manufacturers make has not always kept the same specifications as they were designed with. Maybe this too-thick pad/shoe material thing is due to them trying to fit other applications that were close, and someone thought they'd work? Probably not.
Guessing they just screwed up the conversion factors between SAE and Metric, while trying to translate the Korean translation of the Mexican translation of the Chinese translation of the old faded blueprints specs in English (the way it was spoken 60 years ago).
No wonder there are variations!

A lot of the disc brake pads I've used in the last 10 years just barely fit, even with the caliper piston pushed all the way in. In one case (don't remember what kind of car it was), I literally had to sand down the pad material to make them work.

Oh well...

Paul

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
yesterday I finally got home...new shoes from NAPA proved that the drum was not able to go on half way...went under and totally disconnected the E-brake and went back through everything...

Old drum went right on sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Of to the wheel shop...had them open the drums to their maximum....

Drums now fit......f'ing rediculous