• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pilgrim's Progress

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mark, I am sooo close...... Runs great, steers, brakes seem to sorta work, haven't put the wheels back on yet (due to bleeding the brakes). It's got coolant in it, but not enuff yet because I still hope to sexy up the heater hoses. You probably never heard those words before, I'd bet. Got armrests 1713724400323.jpeg today via EBuy. Should match the rest if the interior pretty decent +/-. I really am enjoying working on the wing windows. (Could that be why Broncos never get 'done'?) The new wing window rubbers are at the post office, pick 'em up tomorrow. Yesterday picked up a tool box for the trailer 1713724788204.png to store the basket-type over the wheel ratchet straps in. Tuesday we're going to Mayo (the clinic, not the condiment) for an open-ended visit. Also bought some roll bar clamps I hope use to attach the safari top to the roll cage. 1713725107715.png So, Mark, I'd say the completion date/drive date is the same as it's been for the last 12 years - probably in a month or so.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Windows in (sorta) doors open and close (sorta). Spent the last few days prepping for the next event on my Bronco calendar, the Hudsonville Swap Meet. Hoping to actually bring the horse and bunch of pieces and parts to peddle, Cleaned up a set of good looking turbines w/ junk tires and a set of aluminum spokes that are very nice w/ dated tires. As to the horse, this is how it's identfying. 20240501_174443.jpg Plus I put on some rocker covers (NOT rock sliders) just because. 20240501_174629.jpg

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The horse didn't get to Throwback, or the Hudsonville swap meet due to shifter linkage issues between the C4 tranny 20240503_134052.jpg and the Mustang II console mounted shifter. 20240113_135432.jpg Oh, and that focus thing. At the swap meet, I happened onto a 411 reverse cut ring and pinion for a a high pinion Dana 44 from an F150. Few years back I had picked up a HP D44 and a beefed up 9 inch from an F150 mudder. They gathered dust for a bit, but the new/old ring and pinion brought them out of the shadows. Lots of irons in the fire now, but the focus will still be (mostly) on the shift linkage and drivability in present condition. Here's a sampling of current pieces and parts and projects.
Me 20240503_161512.jpg and Ma 20240503_161606.jpg and the big Guy. 20240510_150200.jpg Ran out of flag decal, more on order. And pieces. 20240511_161324.jpg And parts. 20240511_150205.jpg Focus, How, focus.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Dang but if you don’t have as many projects at one time as I do, Howard! I’m beginning to believe this restoration thing is a sickness.

Randy

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I got a whif of that from your recent post in the 'What have you done to your Bronco today' thread. I thought about responding to that but didn't want to distract you! I am a big fan of a tee shirt I saw a while back - "AD/HD - Highway to .. Oh, look, a squirrel!"

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, never mind the squirrel, I'm sure he'll be back..... Speaking of back, back to business, sorta, monkey business, sorta. I suspect those things the red arrows are pointing to are some type of bushing and are designed to be removable, Y/N?

bushings.jpg

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Howard, those are the bearing retainers. The Set20 bearing uses differential oil for lubrication so there is no seal in the axle tube so the bearing retainer is much larger than a sealed roller bearing. I suppose with the right bearing splitter and a big enough press they are removable, however I have always had to cut them off. Cut them with a cutofff wheel until they crack with a chisel and hammer.

Set20’s don’t have the propensity to walk off the axle like the sealed bearings do. I think I’m one of the few that has used them hard enough to crush the seal and lose the brearing preload. I’ve never had one walk off the axle, but I’ve never ran one until is was glowing red either lol.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howard, those are the bearing retainers. The Set20 bearing uses differential oil for lubrication so there is no seal in the axle tube so the bearing retainer is much larger than a sealed roller bearing. I suppose with the right bearing splitter and a big enough press they are removable, however I have always had to cut them off. Cut them with a cutofff wheel until they crack with a chisel and hammer.

Set20’s don’t have the propensity to walk off the axle like the sealed bearings do. I think I’m one of the few that has used them hard enough to crush the seal and lose the brearing preload. I’ve never had one walk off the axle, but I’ve never ran one until is was glowing red either lol.
Dadgummit Steve, you gotta be one of the most and best grizzled and nicest veterans hangin' 'round these parts! In my little pea-brained mind, those buggers hafta go in order to get the bearings off/changed/greased.* I considered taking a Dremel to the bearings to see if there was a secret, hidden passage way underneath them, but nixed it due uncertainty. To paraphrase Simon & Garfunkel, 'Hello Google, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again.'

* I am not planning on using the 9 inch, just wanna move it down the road to someone in need.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awrighty-then. Rest assured that, inspite of multiple distractions, there are things getting done. Precious ffew, but some.
Tailgate, for instance. 20240516_171951.jpg Well, that's not the whole tailgate, but I was distracted. Maybe a pic in its entirety manana. And I've been making pieces and parts. Like this. 20240518_083810.jpg And painting them. And adding to them. 20240519_124640.jpg And revamping them. 20240519_121835.jpg The gold clevis on the top was like the silver clevis on the bottom at one time. And the red gizmo was conjoured up attach to the shift lever on the side of a C4 tranny. (That's transmission, lest anyone get confused.) And what's the purpose? Here's a little hint. Before: 20240503_134052.jpg After: 20240519_133716.jpg The idea was to get the shift cable properly aligned and secured by adding a heim joint. Heim. Hmmm, imagine that. Enuuf of this babble, howzabout a short video to cleanse our cerebral palate and distract us and make us wonder if there is life after (and during) Bronco. Please pass the popcorn.
Here's a better shot of the heim joint. 20240519_133614.jpg

Last edited: