• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Silver Lake Sand Dunes July 18th-25th

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I just wanted to throw out there that I will be at Silver Lake this year from July 18th-25th. This is a Saturday to Saturday time slot. If anyone is around then please let me know and we can meet up on the dunes. I was only able to be there for a couple nights last year so I am really looking forward to a week of playing around up there. I will be camping at Sandy Shores Campground right in Mears. Also there are no dune vouchers needed for dune ready vehicles this year so you can just drive over and on to the dunes as long as you have your orv trail stickers and passes. Here is a link to one story about it http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2015/03/access_to_silver_lake_state_pa.html

IMG_20140719_122401685_zpscolyro9t.jpg~original

Hank

swjtlongdrive

Hank, Not sure if we'll be there on those dates but no vouchers this year? That should help for sure. Side note, where can we get ORV stickers prior to getting to silver lake? I've always gotten them at the gate on the way in but wondering if there is an easier or online way to get them but I haven't found anything.

brewchief

Hank, Not sure if we'll be there on those dates but no vouchers this year? That should help for sure. Side note, where can we get ORV stickers prior to getting to silver lake? I've always gotten them at the gate on the way in but wondering if there is an easier or online way to get them but I haven't found anything.

My understanding is ORV and state park stickers(for those without a recreation passport on there plate) will be available at the old voucher center.

I'm going to try to make it again this year and not just for a day like last year.

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru

I think you can get them anywhere you get hunting licenses. Meijer has them as well as Wal-Mart.

Hank

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We are planning on going that week. Can't wait!

frenchy

swyman

Loc.
Blissfield
Regarding stickers......you guys are correct in that anywhere that sells hunting licenses also can print off ORV's. At SL you can get them at the Welcome Center (old voucher center), the point store, and B&L Motorsports (old Appletree across from entrance). I bought mine at B&L and they also had the state park passport. There is no vouchers for dune ready this year however you still need vouchers if you are trailering into the park this year until they expand the parking lot which construction will start later this year.
NOTE: Dune Ready means you are ready to go straight into park (have all stickers, tire pressures ready for sand, and flag. They will pull you out of line before entering the park if you don't have this done. The dune ready line will go straight into the dunes with only a stop at the flag check. We will see how this new system works and hopefully go as planned but people need to be aware of the changes. I have been involved in this process and will answer any questions to the best of my ability and get answers if I don't know them! The holiday weekends are really the only time that there is an issue and Long travel roundup....which is Saturday July 25th! There should be over 100 LT cars out there and is something to see $$$$$$$

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Swyman, we are dune ready when we go but don't air down till we get into the parking lot. So now we can't do that? Guess we will have to do that down the road. I dont like driving from camp to the dunes on10 psi, but I guess we will if we have to.

frenchy

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I am planning on being there the week before. If I am still running on Saturday, it would be fun to meet some fellow board members...

swjtlongdrive

Thanks for all the info everyone. This thread just made me make a reservation at the RV park for July 19-22. We are about to finish the Bronco restoration so hopefully we don't have many issues once we get up there. I've been on the dunes many times in my JK unlimited but never in the bronco. How do these do if I have the stock 3 speed and 302 on a 2.5" lift? Will I always want to be in 4wd with 10psi or will it handle some of the smaller dunes in 2wd? Haven't driven the bronco but 10 miles since I bought it a year ago so still learning what it can and can't do.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I've done all the hills except test hill in 2wd (lo range) with my stock 3 speed and a 302 on 33" tires and open rear differential. Test hill kept popping the transfer case out of 2 wheel lo with the "T" case shifter into neutral. I broke my front axle u-joint and had to run the rest of the day in rear only :). I think if I had something to hold the shifter in place for 2wd lo rear or a twin stick shifter it would make it up the hill.

swjtlongdrive

Jdgephar, thanks for the info. Test his is fun but its the next set of dunes to the south that we like to do and hang out on so maybe a slight jog (soft J of course for Ron Burgundy fans out there) over towards the lake and cut back into the test hill area in 2wd could be a lot of fun. Not that I don't want to do test hill but I'd rather make sure I don't break something and be able to have fun for a few days. Thanks again.

swyman

Loc.
Blissfield
Swyman, we are dune ready when we go but don't air down till we get into the parking lot. So now we can't do that? Guess we will have to do that down the road. I dont like driving from camp to the dunes on10 psi, but I guess we will if we have to.

frenchy

Frenchy, sorry for slow reply but answer to your question is you have to be aired down ready to go on the dunes. You can do this at the Welcome Center (formerly voucher center) if you are not comfortable driving around on low tires. FWIT I have talked it over with my tire guy (25+ yrs exp) about driving on low tires and he said it will not hurt your tires providing you are not going down the highway at 70. Said just driving slow around town will not put heat in them which is what causes the problems. Also Bill Loomis works for the Jeep rental place there and said they run their tires around 13psi for the whole season back and forth and in all their years of business not 1 tire failure from driving on the road. I personally for the past 20yrs air my tires down and drive around the whole time I'm there and have never had a failure! Just take it easy and you'll be fine! Oh, I usually run 10psi also.

brewchief

Just booked campsite at sandy shore for the 24 and 25, would like the 23 but they had no openings, sounded like i got the last site, I would book campsites now if you plan on coming up.

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
Will try and make it this year on these dates I am normally go a hand full of times a year missed out on the group trip last year . I also air down my tires when I get to the campground and don't air back up till its time to go home. I typically run 8 psi have been doing that for 5 years with no issue just have to drive easy.