• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STak or Atlas

Which transfer case

• STak 3 speed

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Atlas 5.0

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Atlas 3.0

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Atlas 4.3 for a happy medium

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Run, I mean RUN away from the Stak of sh!t...

Nobody deserves this kind of customer service and shoddy fixes...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764135&highlight=stak+shit

I personally think you missed the ball with the 3.8:1 - it's a great mid range choice so you are not too deep in low range compared to high range, but with a 4 speed you get the 3.8:1 gearset - so it's moot point.

Advance Adapters is a no brainer when it comes to transfer cases and custom driveline modifications.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Considering it is Pirate, that thread doesn't look that bad. That site is not kind to ANYTHING.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Take it for what you will seeing we are an AA dealer (I'm biased) but both my Atlas 4 speeds have been flawless and they are the previous version. One is behind a C4 the other behind the NV 4500. Many hwy and off road miles. Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but there is always a wait time usually 4-8 weeks. Order way before you need it.

alstick

I'm on my third Atlas in an array of rigs from a 545 stroker to my current 5.0L love them to death I do shift at speed a lot so the syncro case is a dream and have never worn out anything. Just ordered one for my EB build behind a C4.
On the Stak front a local builder here in Canada ordered three three speeds this is a few years ago now, they did custom 4 wheel independent snow rig builds and from the original owner of Stak but all three pop out of gear and were useless. They sent the upgraded gear sets and they still popped out of gear. As far as I know they are still bundled on a pallet in the corner of the shop. I think Mike was down to threatening them on Pirate before they would return his calls. So while that too is old news (3-4 years now) it still sticks in my mind.

r36130

Loc.
norfolk
I see vendors are still showing on there sites that they sell Stak. Why would they do this if they are such pieces of crap? Does anyone have a more up to date exsperience, more like something in the 2009-2011 range? I can't find much good or bad in that time frame. If its still crap that would be good to know, if not it would be nice to be able to at least consider it an option.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I see vendors are still showing on there sites that they sell Stak. Why would they do this if they are such pieces of crap? Does anyone have a more up to date exsperience, more like something in the 2009-2011 range? I can't find much good or bad in that time frame. If its still crap that would be good to know, if not it would be nice to be able to at least consider it an option.

The good cases are the old cases - Stak changed hands, customer service got worse and now customers are having to R&D their own parts to get them to work. Would you enjoy spending 2K+ to miss events/races, remove and re-install your transfer case multiple times, completely disassemble, pay to ship to the manufacturer and be given "fixes" that do nothing?

Save yourself the hassle and go with a company that stands behind their products like professionals, not to mention that they build an industry standard product that works flawlessly out of the box for years to come.

I admit their gearing options and 3 speed idea is great, it's just poorly executed and supported. I really wanted to go that route, especially that you can make one fit a little better, but Advance Adapters has been one of the single most impressive companies I've worked with - and I've worked with a ton of different vendors getting my truck where it is today...

I guess it looks like I'm a fanboi - but I just want to say I love my Atlas 3.8:1.

r36130

Loc.
norfolk
Advanced does have an excellent product and reputation. Theres really no disputting that. Yes i do want what i pay big money for to work correctly. But like you said the 3 speed is what is drawing my attention along with fitment. So the newer ones are the junk and the olders ones are better? When did this transition take place?

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
My neighbor has a buggy w/a newer 3 spd stak (the monster, not the mini). I have ridden w/him and it has popped out of gear. I wouldn't own one.

I have a 4 spd atlas that has sat for a few years waiting on me to install it. Got it new/unused from someone local who parted their rig out. Otherwise, if I had to pay full boot I'd go Atlas II 3.8. 5.0 is WAY too low for my liking. Most of our trails are faster with a few slow sections.

Kincade

I have the 4R70W with Atlas 4.3 and I'm very happy with it. I wouldn't mind having the 5:1 now that I have 4 wheel disc but I didn't at the time and with my old drums and the 4.3:1 it would overpower the brakes if they were wet.

here's a thread about Stak thats been going on for 2 years now on Pirate:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764135&highlight=stak

interpret it however you want but I doubt you could find a similar thread about Atlas/Advance Adapters.

I bought my Atlas from Kincade Bauer (www.700R4inaFord.com) He can be difficult to get in touch with but sells them cheap and it's all dropship anyway. Once he orders it, you deal with AA.

Dan, thanks for the recommendation. I apologize to those of you who have had a difficult time reaching me. With a baby at home and working 60+ hours a week I sometimes have a hard time keeping my head above water. :-[

In any case if I can ever help with advice or tech questions anyone can always reach me via PM here or email. I don't have much time to browse the forums anymore but I usually am able to respond within a day if my blackberry is co-operating. You can even call me on my cell phone if it's easier.

My $.02 on the topic is a 4 speed Atlas. Best of both worlds. The 4.3 is a good middle of the road range but it all depends on what terrain you plan on tackling.

Last edited:

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Atlas II will bolt directly up to a Dana 20 C4 intermediate housing. not sure about your trans. that ended up being my deciding factor because of the money savings. good luck

Thats damn good info....I change my vote!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - I had an Atlas II bolted directly to my C4, but when I went to put it behind a NP435 I had to get the adapter from AA as the I6 intermediate and spacer setup didn't work.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
I've got two (2) Atlas IV, one in the Bronco and one in the buggy. Bronco figures to 132:1 crawl ratio and it is sloooow. In some crawling situations I don't think you can go too slow. Like to get out to take a leak and let the thing keep rolling and just walk back and get in. And I've got plenty of gear choices.

With Atlas you just order it for your tranny and it bolts right up.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The Atlas II can bolt directly up to the C4, but the Altas IV requires an adapter. :( The Atlas IV will bolt up to the 4R70W or the ZF. Damn those C4's.