• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking 1 tons, Narrow 8 lug rears and weld on c's?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Hey 76broncofromhell, too funny LMAO ! I won't try to confuse you with the facts. Clearly your mind is made up regardless of what the facts show. Yes the 9 inch as I said is a great axle in alot of ways and if you put enough money into it, it can be awesome. If you can get out of Cali come on out to one of our rock crawlilng championships (WEROC, UROC ... everybody rocks) sometime and see what the big boys run. (hint: it usually has a 60 in the name). Oh and by the way, I have a 9 inch big bearing housing for sale if anyones interested. The 60 was alot less money to build so I ended up not using it. It's hot tanked and ready to go. Fromhell, I'm guessing you don't follow the rock crawling championships, but an aquaintance of mine by the name of Dean Bulloch is one the more dominant drivers in the sport. We would love to have you along for a trail run. There are some really great trails outside of Cedar City you could try. And we'll even put money on who breaks an axle first. So drop your whiskey bottle and come on out. I guarantee It'll be fun. At least for us! ;)

I would love to come out there, but do I get community service hours for babysitting "slow" kids? It's clear you make judgements contrary to inconvenient facts. Just because you like the 60, doesn't make the 9" a worse axle; but the 31 spline 9" is stronger from the factory. If you find a factory, full float rear Dana 60 with 35 spline shafts, I'd love to see it. In your infinite knowledge are you sure you didn't mistake a D70 for a 60? I'm sure you're aware they use the same differential cover.

As an FYI, you can pick up a used 35 spline Nascar rear end (yes a 9") for $500 if you know the right people. Did I mention it was full-floating. Heresay doesn't work in court and it doesn't work on the internet. Try to get your facts more in line next time cupcake.

Here. Now since you were so correct about Dana 60s maybe we can debate something else.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana60.htm

Last edited:

welndmn

Bronco Guru
83.5 INCHES!!!:eek: I just measured my rig which has 35/12.50's on it with the stock axles at approx. 72 inches. No chance I could run on the street at more than 74 inches, NH has what is known as a DE tag short for defective equipment and with any width greater than that I would be able to start my own tag collection. I guess I never realized just how wide they were with full width axles, confirms the fact that I will have no choice but to narrow. Had planned on it but was hoping might not have to deal with the added expense and work.

72 inches is narrow, remember stock EB is 58 inches, a 60 is 69 inches.
Adding some wider flares a skinner tire and a mud flap I think you'd be legal.
This is one of m friends, I forget how he is over all, buts is a 69 inch 60 front, 65 inch rear 14 bolt, the 60 front also has 2 inch wheel spacers on it.
Running 39 inch iroks on stock Hummer wheels. (7.5 inches back spacing, spacers are needed to clear the stock steering arm)
032407%20002.jpg

Me 69 inch 60, 67 inch 9 inch, 42's on 5 inches back spacing
42s.jpg

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
72 inches is narrow, remember stock EB is 58 inches, a 60 is 69 inches.
Adding some wider flares a skinner tire and a mud flap I think you'd be legal.
This is one of m friends, I forget how he is over all, buts is a 69 inch 60 front, 65 inch rear 14 bolt, the 60 front also has 2 inch wheel spacers on it.
Running 39 inch iroks on stock Hummer wheels. (7.5 inches back spacing, spacers are needed to clear the stock steering arm)
032407%20002.jpg

Me 69 inch 60, 67 inch 9 inch, 42's on 5 inches back spacing
42s.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures, looks like I could get way with some combination of tires/backspacing/flares. KB6677 has been telling me I can make it work as well. Once the donor axles are out of the truck I will set them up in the garage and start taking measurements.

Thanks, Walt

76BroncoFromHell wrote
I would love to come out there, but do I get community service hours for babysitting "slow" kids? It's clear you make judgements contrary to inconvenient facts. Just because you like the 60, doesn't make the 9" a worse axle; but the 31 spline 9" is stronger from the factory. If you find a factory, full float rear Dana 60 with 35 spline shafts, I'd love to see it. In your infinite knowledge are you sure you didn't mistake a D70 for a 60? I'm sure you're aware they use the same differential cover.

As an FYI, you can pick up a used 35 spline Nascar rear end (yes a 9") for $500 if you know the right people. Did I mention it was full-floating. Heresay doesn't work in court and it doesn't work on the internet. Try to get your facts more in line next time cupcake.

Here. Now since you were so correct about Dana 60s maybe we can debate something else.

Well schoolboy, if you think you'll have to wait on Dean Bulloch you're high. I certainly can't stay with him and after seeing your rig in the picture gallery I don't think you're equipped to stay with me either. Actually you have a pretty nice rig there for a school kid. And as most Broncoholics go, I'm sure in a few short years after you've had some time and money to put into it, it'll be an awesome rock crawler. Props to you on your first link. It did clearly show that the ring and pinion in the 9" are stout to say the least. But obviously a website that specializes in 9" sales isn't going to show the obvious weakness' of their product. That is obviously the sheetmetal housing and the small bearings on the pinion shaft. Yes the extra bearing does make up in part for this shortcoming but not entirely. And it's obvious the serious rockcrawlers don't use the 9 for those reasons. Having to run a truss and skidplate on the 9" gobbles up clearance and the heavy steel tubes on the 60 outweigh anything you can do to a 9 to make it tougher than the 60. No, contrary to what you say, I am not saying the 9 is a poor axle, simply that the 60 for the reasons listed earlier is a better choice. In many parts of the country and in areas like Moab you don't need an axle that can take tons of abuse, namely having the weight of the whole vehicle drop down on the axle on big jagged rocks. And for 90 percent of the wheelers out there the 9 is a great choice, excluding of course the really low pinion. (Currie does sell a high pinion 9 if you have enough money) Dynatrac, Tera and even Currie Enterprises who has made their living selling 9's has gone with the 60 as their choice for serious rock crawling. Dynatrac's is called the Pro Rock 60, Tera's is the Tera 60, and Currie calls theirs the Rock Jock. BTW I'm sure alot of guys on this site would love to know who "the right people" are regarding those 35 spline 9's. Although with the abuse they've taken it's obvious why they are getting rid of them. I'd seriously recommend the entire unit be magnafluxed before I'd wheel it. And just so you know, the Dana 50, 60 and 70 all share the same cover. In closing I won't bother setting up a trail run with you. I know you'd have an excuse like "my mom grounded me", or "I had homework to do". Actually I probably shouldn't razz a fellow Bronco nut like that, you're probably a good guy, just young and brash not unlike I was. Happy wheeling sweet pea, I'm out.;)

Last edited:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
sorry twotwentyswift, I'm not sold.
I think two illustrations in a biased magazine article is a pretty weak base of argument.
I would like to see more reference.
I'll bet the 9's three pinion bearings are stronger than the 60's two.
And the 50 pound heavier 60 axle is not an advantage.
As far as drive line angle, I have solved that.
Currie's version of the high pinion 9 is not actually a 9 inch - it's an 8.8.

Mark Troy
sorry twotwentyswift, I'm not sold.
I think two illustrations in a biased magazine article is a pretty weak base of argument.
I would like to see more reference.
I'll bet the 9's three pinion bearings are stronger than the 60's two.
And the 50 pound heavier 60 axle is not an advantage.
As far as drive line angle, I have solved that.
Currie's version of the high pinion 9 is not actually a 9 inch - it's an 8.8.
A BIASED MAGAZINE ARTICLE!!! LMAO!!!
That's right, the staff writers, editors, etc. of Four Wheeler Magazine are biased as is Moser Engineering and Dynatrac, but some uneducated kid who owns a 9" is not. Actually if you bothered to think about it you'd realize that a major magazine would quickly loose creditability if it published things that weren't true. And what possible motive could Moser and Dynatrac have for "misleading" you? They sell axle shafts for everything. Maybe the pictures just weren't clear enough for you to see who supplied them. Why you would spend a ton of money on that 8.8 piece is beyond me. And yes the 60's two bearings are considerably stronger than the 9's three due to size and placement. Read and learn! Open your mind! Throw away all your preconceived notions and biases.
And you say a 50 pound heavier axle is not an advantage. In a sportscar that is partially true. Did I mention we are talking about Broncos here? I can see some that are quite obvious.
1. The entire assembly is far stronger. It isn't just "weight" it's structure and strength.
2. You want your weight in the vehicle to be as low as possible for a low center of gravity. What is lower than your axle!
3. The heavier axle allows the springs and suspension to flex better keeping the tires on the ground longer.
I noticed you only looked at the pictures. Did you bother to read the captions below them? I can continue to post more pics but they'll only hurt your feelings.
Yes I guess showing you facts from major manufacturers and magazines that make their living in the 4x4 industry is a pretty weak basis for an argument. Especially when you consider it's going up against uninformed opinion.%) %) %)

Mark, you asked for more salt in the wound, so here you go.
BTW I'm still waiting to see some quantifiable facts to the contrary. I get the feeling I'll have a long wait.
e9b8bb1d.jpg
And please note, I asked for facts, not conjecture or opinion. Showing mercy I only showed the first few paragraphs of cons.;) If you like I'd be happy to show you the very concise list of cons for the 60.;D

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,,,there are many pro's & con's to both..,but the main thing we've all learned from this thread is what you appear like when you go running all over town with your one magazine arcticle in hand ...>>>>>>>>>

Amen to that Ctowery. Clearly there are those who would deny you had a 2x4 if you went upside their head with it. I think the point has been made. And amazingly enough nobody seems to be able to come up with any evidence to dispute it. I suppose there will always be those who think so highly of themselves that the engineers at Moser, Dynatrac, Currie etc. can convince them of nothing. After all, their just engineers, what do they know. I must say it's been highly amusing. I had no doubts that illustrating the facts of the superiority of the 60 over the 9 on this site would be unpopular but for those who are intellectually honest it's always good to learn. BTW if anyone's interested in that 9" large bearing housing I still have it. I guess there are probably those who would go against the common acceptance that the large bearing housing is better, but then there are those who say that we never landed on the moon. It's just a big conspiracy! %)

Last edited:

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
I just skimmed over this thread and have a few points to make.

1. Maybe the 9 inch Ford has smaller pinion bearings closer together BECAUSE of the 3rd bearing. In other words "Which came first the chicken or the egg?

2. The bigger ring gear is only a legitimate comparison if the vertical pinion offset is equal. A bigger ring gear doesn't necessarily mean more strength. In this case for sure. Go to the pics on the bottom of this page http://www.truehi9.com/gears2.html and everybobdy decide for themselves which ring & pinion is stronger.

3. If a magazine article is a viable unbiased word of truth go pick up the June 2007 issue of Petersons 4Wheel&Offroad, page 106. Of course that article isn't 8 years old.

4. Someone better look under these rigs closer as we have over 20 Hi9s in comp rigs. Including some of the Big names. http://www.spidertrax.com/ http://www.truehi9.com/coolphotos

5. How did Dean Bullochs rear HP60 hold up at the last Globe event earlier this month?

6. Check out a comp and see how many D60s loose a ring&pinion.

7. A Currie HP9 was mentioned but that is an 8.8 ring & pinion which I didn't think was part of the comparison.

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
76BroncoFromHell wrote

Well schoolboy, if you think you'll have to wait on Dean Bulloch you're high. I certainly can't stay with him and after seeing your rig in the picture gallery I don't think you're equipped to stay with me either.

In closing I won't bother setting up a trail run with you. I know you'd have an excuse like "my mom grounded me", or "I had homework to do". Actually I probably shouldn't razz a fellow Bronco nut like that, you're probably a good guy, just young and brash not unlike I was. Happy wheeling sweet pea, I'm out.;)

I love how when you lose an argument, you have to bring in the fact that I'm a college student it shows you are clearly the more intelligent one of the group. Yes, I will have my mom ground me so I don't get in trouble playing with the slow kids in the rocks. Have fun waiting for the short bus.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Amen to that Ctowery. Clearly there are those who would deny you had a 2x4 if you went upside their head with it. I think the point has been made. And amazingly enough nobody seems to be able to come up with any evidence to dispute it. I suppose there will always be those who think so highly of themselves that the engineers at Moser, Dynatrac, Currie etc. can convince them of nothing. After all, their just engineers, what do they know. I must say it's been highly amusing. I had no doubts that illustrating the facts of the superiority of the 60 over the 9 on this site would be unpopular but for those who are intellectually honest it's always good to learn. BTW if anyone's interested in that 9" large bearing housing I still have it. I guess there are probably those who would go against the common acceptance that the large bearing housing is better, but then there are those who say that we never landed on the moon. It's just a big conspiracy! %)

Boy I really don't know what to say:eek: ....but I will give it a go......I wasn't agreeing with you at all..quite the opposite in fact.. I have a Hi9 inthe rear and I am putting a 609 in the front. Only advantage a 60 has is the outers..frt or rear usage.....sorry!

Cary

Damn this is hilarious. I spent the day in the mountains and come back to nada. I knew there would be a couple of hundred 9" owners out there scrambling to try and find a single piece of evidence to disprove what I've shown, and NOTHING! Can't say I'm suprised. Hard to be suprised when you know the outcome. But I expected a little creativity and all I get is more smack talk and schoolboy attitude. Speaking of school kids, 76BroncoFromHell how are those lift blocks under your coil springs working out? Gotta admit, that was one of the more "creative" ways I've seen to get lift. But what seems like a good idea under the influence usually prove otherwise the morning after. Or were you (god forbid) sober when you came up with that brain fart. Hard to believe you can't keep your coil springs in with engineering like that. And the winch mounted UNDER the bumper...pure genius. I definately want to wheel with you cowboy! I expect those baby blue pristine full length rocker panels are untouched for a reason. I'm SURE you'd show if I line up a trail run with Dean. I'd bet on it. He's taking out a bunch of Cali boys in the new Landcrusiers right now, don't expect much will be left of them. Oh, and I'll continue to wait for contrarian evidence to my argument. After all the article I sited was "biased" as were the illustrations supplied by Dynatech and Moser. We all know they're in on the conspiracy to make you 9" nuts look bad. I'll check back in a few days to see the "mountain" of evidence to the contrary. I'll have my wheelin buddies over to read them with me. They laughed till they had tears rolling down their cheeks last night. I can't wait to show them the latest comedy. Later boys!;D

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
Here's a quote from a winning comp team that has run both.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl;jses...3eTaxmKbNaNe34Pa38Ta38Lahn0?sc=2&category=961

"I would just like to say that we have been using the Hi9's front and rear in our competition truck for this whole season. Our front axle uses 35 spline, 300m CTM shafts with 1550 CTM joints and yokes. At Goldendale, our front end was so bound, our 415hp LS1 was bogging. In the three years I have been driving this competition truck I have NEVER heard this engine bog. If any part on our truck was going to break, it was going to be the front end. I can say that I trust these center sections more than I trusted the hi60's we replaced. We run 5.38's, and have had zero problems. The first run with the hi60's we broke a ring gear. Just my honest, real world, seat of the pants, competiton proven opinion."

Brian Errea

Seems to me Shannon Campbell and the team of Roger & Brad Lovell are running 9 inch stuff too.

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Damn this is hilarious. I spent the day in the mountains and come back to nada. I knew there would be a couple of hundred 9" owners out there scrambling to try and find a single piece of evidence to disprove what I've shown, and NOTHING! Can't say I'm suprised. Hard to be suprised when you know the outcome. But I expected a little creativity and all I get is more smack talk and schoolboy attitude. Speaking of school kids, 76BroncoFromHell how are those lift blocks under your coil springs working out? Gotta admit, that was one of the more "creative" ways I've seen to get lift. But what seems like a good idea under the influence usually prove otherwise the morning after. Or were you (god forbid) sober when you came up with that brain fart. Hard to believe you can't keep your coil springs in with engineering like that. And the winch mounted UNDER the bumper...pure genius. I definately want to wheel with you cowboy! I expect those baby blue pristine full length rocker panels are untouched for a reason. I'm SURE you'd show if I line up a trail run with Dean. I'd bet on it. He's taking out a bunch of Cali boys in the new Landcrusiers right now, don't expect much will be left of them. Oh, and I'll continue to wait for contrarian evidence to my argument. After all the article I sited was "biased" as were the illustrations supplied by Dynatech and Moser. We all know they're in on the conspiracy to make you 9" nuts look bad. I'll check back in a few days to see the "mountain" of evidence to the contrary. I'll have my wheelin buddies over to read them with me. They laughed till they had tears rolling down their cheeks last night. I can't wait to show them the latest comedy. Later boys!;D

I get it man. You're past your prime. It's not my fault. This has turned into something personal for you, which really says a lot about your character. Hurling insults at me and my rig makes your e-wang look that much bigger. I was looking for an internet role model to no avail until genius here joined the site. We should go camping sometime.

By the way, my blocks are doing great. As it is apparent you have no engineering experience, I really value your engineering opinion. Have you thought about being a plastic surgeon, or what about a District Attorney?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
We're being spammed by a 14 year old boy, who just wants to scream and not listen. Waves his precious magazine article that he believes is gospel. I can defend or debate the con's of the 9" in that article paragraph by paragraph, but I won't waste my time anymore.
Yeah, twotwentyswift, the 60 really is the best, there is no comparison, ALL competition rigs run it, that's what everyone should have - if only we were as smart as you.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
76BroncoFromHell wrote

Well schoolboy, if you think you'll have to wait on Dean Bulloch you're high. I certainly can't stay with him and after seeing your rig in the picture gallery I don't think you're equipped to stay with me either. Actually you have a pretty nice rig there for a school kid. And as most Broncoholics go, I'm sure in a few short years after you've had some time and money to put into it, it'll be blah blah blah, learn what a paragraph is :p

No 9 inchs in comp rigs?
I don't know what cops you go to, but on on the west cost, Tons and tons of people run 9 inches in comps. Your only reason you listed, was "You had to truss it and loose ground clearance". Have you ever seen a comp rig? All the axles are trussed as their steering, or links mount off of it.
Yes, stock housings are weak, that why they build aftermarket ones.