• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking 1 tons, Narrow 8 lug rears and weld on c's?

Well kids I'm back, let's see what you came up with...
TrueHi9 wrote
Here's a quote from a winning comp team that has run both.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl;jsess...2&category=961
Funny, I couldn't find any quote, or any mention of the Dana 60 at all. Just a place that sells aftermarket housings for the 9".... Gee, now why would they need to sell those..... And for that matter, why did you need to replace the 3rd member with a TrueHi 9?

Ctowery wrote
Boy I really don't know what to say ....but I will give it a go......I wasn't agreeing with you at all..quite the opposite in fact.. I have a Hi9 inthe rear and I am putting a 609 in the front. Only advantage a 60 has is the outers..frt or rear usage.....sorry!
So you found it necessary to replace the 3rd member with the Hi9 thus loosing the strong part of the 9 inch (the ring and pinion) and getting the 8.8's. And then you proceed to tell us that of all the axles out there you chose the Dana 60 outers to build your front. Hmmmm.
Like dad always said..better to keep quite and be thought a fool that to speak and prove it
You should have listened to your daddy man.

And Welndmn wrote,
Yes, stock housings are weak, that why they build aftermarket ones.

That quote pretty much speaks for itself dosen't it.

OK, after considering all the facts I guess you guys are right. If I take a stock 9"... and replace the 3rd member with a TruHi 9 or one of Currie's high pinion centers..... and then I get a beefed up aftermarket housing... and then I put in some 35 spline axle shafts ....I'll have one kick but axle................but wait a second. Didn't I just replace EVERY part? :eek:
That's really all I was trying to tell you all along and this thing took on a life of it's own due to a insecure school kid. He said "you need to read more" and when I layed out some facts he got defensive and the name calling started, It was "cupcake" as I recall. Unless of course that was a "term of endearment". He is afterall, from central California. :eek:
Can't say it hasn't been entertaining though. And since the mags run the "axle comparison" article about twice a year you obviously found out they all say pretty much the same things. Guess that's why nobody came up with any articles to the contrary except for some leads on some nice aftermarket parts to replace stock components.
My point was, and still is, that the Dana 60 is overall a stronger axle than the 9 and takes alot less money to make trail worthy. The small carrier bearings of the 9 limits you to 31 spline shafts which obviously limits the tire size you can run unless you go to a pricey aftermarket piece. Pretty simple really. I don't expect you all to run out and buy Dana 60's. Nothing wrong with being a purist. Like I said earlier, the 9 is a great axle for the average wheeler, they just aren't the ultimate rock crawlin axle without spending a boat load of money on them. The 609 definately had the "cool factor" going for it, but I'd have a hard time justifying spending that kind of $ when the 60 is it's equal for a fraction of the price. I am a firm believer in experience. I seek out other people who have it and I learn from them. The Pat Gremillion's, the Karl Bradley's, the Jim Creel's etc. It saves me alot of time, trouble and money. JMO

Last edited:

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
So you found it necessary to replace the 3rd member with the Hi9 thus loosing the strong part of the 9 inch (the ring and pinion) and getting the 8.8's. And then you proceed to tell us that of all the axles out there you chose the Dana 60 outers to build your front. Hmmmm.

Just to clear some things up for you that others have attempted to do......so pay attention this time:

- HI9 is a 9 inch ring/pinion. This is the reason they are different than the other manufacturers, and successful. They engineered a hi-pinion housing to use 9 inch gears (custom reverse cut gears that they brought to market).

- Currie Hi-pinion Third Member for the 9" uses 8.8 internals and gears.

Now I hope you were paying attention but I will make it simple for you. HI9 is different than Currie.

Now why did some people go with the HI9 instead of their normal third. HI-PINION. Also provides better driveshaft angles, etc. All readily apparent on HI9 website....if you read it.

Now I just wasted a few minutes of my life on you that I will never get back.

And to think that I do not even HAVE a HI9 (wish I did) and had to explain it to you.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
Question for the administration%) can we get a "ignore this idiot option" some of the other forums have this option...works great for not having to see posts from people that don't have a clue and are taking up bandwidth;D

Cary

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Question for the administration%) can we get a "ignore this idiot option" some of the other forums have this option...works great for not having to see posts from people that don't have a clue and are taking up bandwidth;D

Cary

Yes you can. Go to his profile and click on add user to ignore list.

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
twotwentyswift,

The quote is under the link. I offered up the link for proof of what these two top name teams were using.

I'd say stock to stock the D60 is stronger, which is somewhat arguable depending on which stock assemblies are being compared. I know fully built to fully built the 9inch is stronger.

In a fully built configuration the one part that cannot be made physically larger is the ring and pinion.

All combinations in which some parts are left stock and some parts are upgraded is where the argueing occurs.

Since very few people run a completly stock axle assembly in their 4x4 it becomes a choice in which parts are in need of upgrading and what their needs/goals are, high or low pinion, weight, ground clearance, strength, driveshaft length, and even ease of weldability the the center housing.

In reading your posts I can see that you only "see" your side and don't fully read what is being written.

I think a person needs to try and understand other peoples opinions.

Just my thoughts.

Truhi9 wrote
twotwentyswift,

The quote is under the link. I offered up the link for proof of what these two top name teams were using.

I'd say stock to stock the D60 is stronger, which is somewhat arguable depending on which stock assemblies are being compared. I know fully built to fully built the 9inch is stronger.

In a fully built configuration the one part that cannot be made physically larger is the ring and pinion.

All combinations in which some parts are left stock and some parts are upgraded is where the argueing occurs.

Since very few people run a completly stock axle assembly in their 4x4 it becomes a choice in which parts are in need of upgrading and what their needs/goals are, high or low pinion, weight, ground clearance, strength, driveshaft length, and even ease of weldability the the center housing.

In reading your posts I can see that you only "see" your side and don't fully read what is being written.

I think a person needs to try and understand other peoples opinions.

Just my thoughts.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. It makes alot of sense. Thanks for input. You obviously don't get caught up emotionally and feel attacked when someone has a differing opinion. Props to you!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My rig has the D60 in back, narrowed 2.5" on each side, HP D44 up front, narrowed 5.75" on pass side, with 8-lug F-250 outers. It's 'legal' with the 39.5 IROKS on it..and it crawls rocks like nobody's business. It's a good way to go.

I'm running the Yukon 30-spline axles in teh 60 and have had zero breakage. 35 or 40-spline 9" reares are great..but the mostly stock D60 is OK too, and an easy swap if you run 8-lug like I do.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
OK, after considering all the facts I guess you guys are right. If I take a stock 9"... and replace the 3rd member with a TruHi 9 or one of Currie's high pinion centers..... and then I get a beefed up aftermarket housing... and then I put in some 35 spline axle shafts ....I'll have one kick but axle................but wait a second. Didn't I just replace EVERY part? :eek:
That's really all I was trying to tell you all along and this thing took on a life of it's own due to a insecure school kid. He said "you need to read more" and when I layed out some facts he got defensive and the name calling started, It was "cupcake" as I recall. Unless of course that was a "term of endearment". He is afterall, from central California. :eek:

Ahh you make it too easy for me. In your infinite knowledge, you have acquired a degree in geography as well.

calrw3.jpg

I'm also enjoying how you got away from the point here: a Full width rear Dana 60 IS NOT an upgrade over a Full width 9 inch, period. You can do all the name calling, and then try to talk about front 60s thinking we won't notice that you were 100% wrong.

Second of all, I enjoy being in school. I have sorority girls and you don't.

Last edited:

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Stock for stock, both a 60 and 9 inch suck. They both need alloy shafts/more splines on the axle.